ADVERTISEMENT

So how many PSU players skip the bowl?

Safety Blitz

Jan 4, 2002
I expect it to be a significant number. Penn State’s depth will surely be tested over the holidays.

Whoever skips is probably playing it smart. Glorified scrimmage, not worth getting hurt. Great chance to get younger kids some meaningful reps. Good luck to those who sit out with their training/draft preparation. Thanks for a really good season!

I would expect 2-3 guys but I think Franklin will talk most of them into making an appearance and limited snaps. i think it’s worth noting that career altering injuries in bowl games are extremely rare.

Nobody should be allowed to skip the game if healthy. Time for contracts which spell out responsibilities of the school and the player.
That seems reasonable given that the player accepts and benefits from financial support from the school and is put in position to accept significant outside NIL monies.

Nobody should be allowed to skip the game if healthy. Time for contracts which spell out responsibilities of the school and the player.
That seems reasonable given that the player accepts and benefits from financial support from the school and is put in position to accept significant outside NIL monies.
The semester is over and a bowl game isn't a requirement
It doesn't even make sense we would want Chop and Olu to play. We should want what is best for them. Olu didn't even need to come back this season let alone play in a scrimmage. He left very early tonight--it's not hard to see or understand it's time for him to move on. Chop too. Playing doesn't help them. Risk with no reward.

The semester is over and a bowl game isn't a requirement
It doesn't even make sense we would want Chop and Olu to play. We should want what is best for them. Olu didn't even need to come back this season let alone play in a scrimmage. He left very early tonight--it's not hard to see or understand it's time for him to move on. Chop too. Playing doesn't help them. Risk with no reward.
Too bad. Sometimes life comes with responsibilities. At least it should.

This isn't something that is a responsibility
The season is over
No it's not. The team plays a bowl game. They are part of a team. It's part of the football season. As a member of the team they have the responsibility to play. They should not be allowed to pick and choose what games they participate in. Contracts are needed.

This seems like a very “it’s all about me the super fan” type attitude, not what’s best for the players and their futures.

Coaches love (non playoff) bowl games simply because it gives them extra practice time and meaningful reps for the guys WHO WILL BE WITH THE TEAM NEXT YEAR.

Reactions: knickslions
This seems like a very “it’s all about me the super fan” type attitude, not what’s best for the players and their futures.

Coaches love (non playoff) bowl games simply because it gives them extra practice time and meaningful reps for the guys WHO WILL BE WITH THE TEAM NEXT YEAR.
Nope. It has nothing to do with being a fan. Just think that when a player accepts all the money and perks he has a responsibility to the organization paying him. That's life. That's why contracts are needed so there is no question as to what the players responsibilities are. Let's face it, these players have been pros for a long time. Act like it.

Do you think an NFL player who is going to become a free agent can say to his team, I think I'll take the last game off as I don't want to risk an injury.

No it's not. The team plays a bowl game. They are part of a team. It's part of the football season. As a member of the team they have the responsibility to play. They should not be allowed to pick and choose what games they participate in. Contracts are needed.

The season ended tonight. You have to stop pretending bowls matter. The kids and coaches all know better. If you want to give them contracts you need to millions of dollars for then.

Reactions: republion
Nope. It has nothing to do with being a fan. Just think that when a player accepts all the money and perks he has a responsibility to the organization paying him. That's life. That's why contracts are needed so there is no question as to what the players responsibilities are. Let's face it, these players have been pros for a long time. Act like it.

Do you think an NFL player who is going to become a free agent can say to his team, I think I'll take the last game off as I don't want to risk an injury.
They play out the season and playoffs but skip the pro bowl. That's what our next game is. You're lucky one of them even played a game this year.

Reactions: republion
InThey play out the season and playoffs but skip the pro bowl. That's what our next game is. You're lucky d takdone of them even played a game this year.
So the star sophomore QB says I'm not playing next week because our opponents pass rush is too good. You're ok with that? The star rb says I'm done for the season I've got nothing left to prove so I'll just skip the last 3 games so I don't risk injury. You're ok with that. Why do only players with a shot at the NFL get to avoid injury? Why not anybody on the team? How come only certain players get to be selfish.

You think the employees run the business. Go into work tomorrow and tell your boss, I'm taking 8 weeks off to go fishing. Good luck with that. Every free agent to be should take the last 3 games off to avoid injury, especially if his team has been eliminated. Barkley should just tell the Giants that he's done for the year. The Giants stink and aren't making the playoffs so why risk injury. The games are meaningless.

Your justification for not playing is that the game is meaningless. You say the bowl game is meaningless. According to your logic, there is no reason to play at all once your team is eliminated. In your world everybody on the PSU team should have quit as soon as they lost to MI. I mean why play? Those games are meaningless. Right? They have no effect on anything except maybe the meaningless bowl game. Cancel the rest of the season. Meaningless games. Why put your body through it. Hell, a team like Northwestern knows before the first play of the year that they aren't winning a championship so why bother playing at all. In your world they should cancel their meaningless season. Why risk injury.

Sorry, but that's a pretty sad world.

The radio team indicated that NIL money for done players is tied to the bowl game. If not, it eouod be a great idea. NIL makes them pros.

There is no reason for Olu, Chop, Isaac, Joseph, Dixon, Theo, and King to play in a bowl game. All top 3 rd picks. The game is meaningless. They did their bit by helping get the team to the bowl. There is no incentive to win it. Same for the opponent’s top NFL eligible players. It’s the first game of 2024.

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz
There is no reason for Olu, Chop, Isaac, Joseph, Dixon, Theo, and King to play in a bowl game. All top 3 rd picks. The game is meaningless. They did their bit by helping get the team to the bowl. There is no incentive to win it. Same for the opponent’s top NFL eligible players. It’s the first game of 2024.
After MI all the games were meaningless. Why shouldn't they have quit then?

Theo and King I think would be wise to return. I thought Kalen had a very underwhelming year...and got cooked in his biggest game.

So the star sophomore QB says I'm not playing next week because our opponents pass rush is too good. You're ok with that? The star rb says I'm done for the season I've got nothing left to prove so I'll just skip the last 3 games so I don't risk injury. You're ok with that. Why do only players with a shot at the NFL get to avoid injury? Why not anybody on the team? How come only certain players get to be selfish.

You think the employees run the business. Go into work tomorrow and tell your boss, I'm taking 8 weeks off to go fishing. Good luck with that. Every free agent to be should take the last 3 games off to avoid injury, especially if his team has been eliminated. Barkley should just tell the Giants that he's done for the year. The Giants stink and aren't making the playoffs so why risk injury. The games are meaningless.

Your justification for not playing is that the game is meaningless. You say the bowl game is meaningless. According to your logic, there is no reason to play at all once your team is eliminated. In your world everybody on the PSU team should have quit as soon as they lost to MI. I mean why play? Those games are meaningless. Right? They have no effect on anything except maybe the meaningless bowl game. Cancel the rest of the season. Meaningless games. Why put your body through it. Hell, a team like Northwestern knows before the first play of the year that they aren't winning a championship so why bother playing at all. In your world they should cancel their meaningless season. Why risk injury.

Sorry, but that's a pretty sad world.
All of that is reality. Sad world or not
The difference is scouts won't care if a kid skips a bowl game. They will care about regular season games. Regular season games are part of the season. A bowl game is just for fun. That's it. It's actually better for us if the guys leaving don't play to give the rest of the team snaps

Just because you want the game to be meaningful doesn't mean the people that matter will agree.

Chop and Olu had a great career. If they want to play a series in a bowl game great. But they should move on.

• Wow
That's an actual game with meaning
Have you seen anyone skip it?
For sure...and I haven't. I just despise when guys sit out. Yes, it has no meaning from a 'national title' perspective...but it means a crap ton to the players who decide to play, coaches, alumni, etc. But, I get the era we are in...just think it's bushleague.

For sure...and I haven't. I just despise when guys sit out. Yes, it has no meaning from a 'national title' perspective...but it means a crap ton to the players who decide to play, coaches, alumni, etc. But, I get the era we are in...just think it's bushleague.
But why does it matter?
The the players, some of them, it may just be one more chance to play. Does Chop or Olu skipping the game change that?

For the alumni, Chop has battled injury all year and Olu came back hoping to win/contend for a title. Shouldn't we honestly just be grateful for that?

When the playoff expands next year will you still feel the same? You're not wrong if you do. I just don't understand the frustration for a bowl game.

Last edited:
All of that is reality. Sad world or not
The difference is scouts won't care if a kid skips a bowl game. They will care about regular season games. Regular season games are part of the season. A bowl game is just for fun. That's it. It's actually better for us if the guys leaving don't play to give the rest of the team snaps

Just because you want the game to be meaningful doesn't mean the people that matter will agree.

Chop and Olu had a great career. If they want to play a series in a bowl game great. But they should move on.
PSUs last 2 games were meaningless. Why should they play them?

Because its part of the semester and the regular season. Although Olu and Chop basically sat out half of the game anyway. The bowl game is after college for them. They aren't enrolling in the spring.

According to you all PSU players should have stopped playing after the loss to Michigan.
I never said that...they should play out the regular season but all we were playing for at that point us pride.

Actually Olu probably should have sat. Him returning this year was a mistake financially. The last thing he should have done is risk it more. Even Franklin sees that with how he rested him.

• Haha
You're in Lando's camp but I very strongly disagree. This is like a baseball pitcher who is going to be a free agent after the season saying he doesn't want to pitch in the playoffs and risk hurting his arm.

PSU has played in more than 50 bowl games and by your logic players should have opted out of all but about 4. Was last year's Rose Bowl game meaningless?

What about the rivalry games when they don't have MNC implications? Should Washington vs Washington State not be played? Should the backyard brawl go away? What about next year's 12 game playoff. Do you think it's OK for players to opt out of those games? That doesn't happen anywhere else in sports.

Another consideration is the players who do want to participate and the fans. I think players who opt our are letting their teammates down. Fans spend a ton of money to attend these games. don't they deserve their team's best effort?

You're in Lando's camp but I very strongly disagree. This is like a baseball pitcher who is going to be a free agent after the season saying he doesn't want to pitch in the playoffs and risk hurting his arm.

PSU has played in more than 50 bowl games and by your logic players should have opted out of all but about 4. Was last year's Rose Bowl game meaningless?

What about the rivalry games when they don't have MNC implications? Should Washington vs Washington State not be played? Should the backyard brawl go away? What about next year's 12 game playoff. Do you think it's OK for players to opt out of those games? That doesn't happen anywhere else in sports.

Another consideration is the players who do want to participate and the fans. I think players who opt our are letting their teammates down. Fans spend a ton of money to attend these games. don't they deserve their team's best effort?
This isn't the equivalent of a playoff. Kids won't opt out of a playoff game.

Maybe fans should stop spending money on a scrimmage?

Huge year coming up for roster management with 25 new kids coming in and at least 25 guys from this years squad must depart but less than 10 out of eligibility. Any CoVid stay overs? Who transfers out?

This isn't the equivalent of a playoff. Kids won't opt out of a playoff game.

Maybe fans should stop spending money on a scrimmage?
I for one have enjoyed watching PSU play in bowl games when a MNC wasn't on the line. I always root for win vs a good opponent that could move us up in the final rankings. I enjoyed last year's Rose Bowl and top 7 finish. I hope we can win this year and once again finish in the top 10.

I for one have enjoyed watching PSU play in bowl games when a MNC wasn't on the line. I always root for win vs a good opponent that could move us up in the final rankings. I enjoyed last year's Rose Bowl and top 7 finish. I hope we can win this year and once again finish in the top 10.
All of that is great...until you start saying the players have to share your opinion and play in these games

For me, our ranking is determined by the final CFP poll. Nothing else matters.

Regardless 10-2 is a great year and hopefully we continue to improve and eventually get to Ohio State's level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT