ADVERTISEMENT

So how many PSU players skip the bowl?

How so? You're talking about pro athletes being paid to play a sport and comparing that to college kids that you want to play in a bowl game instead of preparing for the draft so you (or others) can watch them?
Root for them in the pros and enjoy watching the younger kids get some snaps.
Chop Robinson and Olu Fashanu have been great players for us. If the elect to skip the bowl game then respect that decision. It's not difficult to be an adult and comprehend why they may decide it's not in their best interest to play.
Businesses are successful because they go out of their was to give their customers a product they value. Fans went to Yankee stadium late in the year because they wanted to see Aaron Judge. He didn't say eff it, we're not in the playoffs anyway so I'm not playing. It's not just him, the Yankees front office wants him to play because they want to please their customers. You keep coming back with the attitude that the players and the NCAA don't owe us anything in spite of the fact that we paid their way (NIL, education, facilities, training, meals, board, etc). I think it's bad to set up a system that shyts on their customers.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Businesses are successful because they go out of their was to give their customers a product they value. Fans went to Yankee stadium late in the year because they wanted to see Aaron Judge. He didn't say eff it, we're not in the playoffs anyway so I'm not playing. It's not just him, the Yankees front office wants him to play because they want to please their customers. You keep coming back with the attitude that the players and the NCAA don't owe us anything in spite of the fact that we paid their way (NIL, education, facilities, training, meals, board, etc). I think it's bad to set up a system that shyts on their customers.
Maybe this is my fault so I'll clarify--I'm not saying the NCAA or Penn State don't owe the fans anything. I'm saying the players don't. They're not employees like Judge. This technically isn't a business (though we both know better) as it's masquerading as an amateur sport. The players don't have any obligation to play. Olu didn't even have an obligation to return this year let alone to play in a bowl game. I'm grateful he came back for another year in hopes we'd accomplish more.

This a bowl game. The reality is it's just a reward for the players. It's not anything other than an evfent.

I don't understand why any fan doesn't want what is best for the player. They played out the season. Now let's get some snaps for the younger guys. Win or lose doesn't matter. It just doesn't. After next weekend there's only 3 games that matter.

I mean, you understand Judge and Olu aren't comparable, right? Judge has a contract worth 350 million (ish) in guaranteed money. Olu has nothing. If he gets injured in the game he has even less. There's no need for him to play. None. Let's not be selfish--put the kid first.

What are you talking about?
We're all dumb enough to believe a bowl system that made sense decades ago still works today.
Do you watch the spring game? It's the same thing

Let the record show the Commando insists the game is meaningless...but will devote four hours of his life to watching it anyway...so he can continue to insist how meaningless it is.

Oh and he also confesses to be the first Penn State fan in history who doesn't care whether his team wins. He cared (supposedly) about beating Rutgers because that's meaningful but not about beating a top-10 team in an NY6 bowl because that's meaningless. Right. Makes sense.

Your turn, Commando. If you can't dazzle with brilliance, then by all means continue to baffle with bullshit. Very entertaining shtick...

Reactions: GSPMax
If people stop "pretending" I'll stop using it.
You are the only person on this board to use that word, and you do it 20+ times a week. Are you that much smarter than the rest of the world? Never kind, I know your answer.

Let the record show the Commando insists the game is meaningless...but will devote four hours of his life to watching it anyway...so he can continue to insist how meaningless it is.

Oh and he also confesses to be the first Penn State fan in history who doesn't care whether his team wins. He cared (supposedly) about beating Rutgers because that's meaningful but not about beating a top-10 team in an NY6 bowl because that's meaningless. Right. Makes sense.

Your turn, Commando. If you can't dazzle with brilliance, then by all means continue to baffle with bullshit. Very entertaining shtick...
I care if they win games that matter--like I'm pissed they lost to Ohio State and Michigan while others are happy we went 10-2.
Have you ever watched an All Star game or senior bowl or Blue-White game or Spring Training game or preseason NFL game, etc.? It's a simple concept.

You are the only person on this board to use that word, and you do it 20+ times a week. Are you that much smarter than the rest of the world? Never kind, I know your answer.
Glad you finally know the answer or are you just "pretending" you do?
You do realize by now that I'm going to keep using it more and more the more you cry about it--just like last time you did this

Glad you finally know the answer or are you just "pretending" you do?
You do realize by now that I'm going to keep using it more and more the more you cry about it--just like last time you did this
You've been overusing that word for years, and I mentioned it once last week for the first time, but yeah, I'm the reason you overuse it. Whatever... I'm out. As per usual, you get the last word.

Last edited:
The new bottom line:
If you’re not playing for the national championship, you aren’t playing for anything worthwhile.
An extra game on film is of little use to a player expected to go in the top half of the draft. They are much better off getting totally healthy and starting their pre-combine preparation.
Same can be said for most players considering a jump into the portal. Why risk a potential injury that could limit the interest of other schools.
On the flip side, bowl games become an opportunity for reserve/depth players to make an impression for next season.
How is it any different than before players started pulling out of bowl games? Hell, how is it any different than the BCS era when two teams played for the NC? If you weren’t in the top two, you weren’t playing for a NC yet no one pulled out of bowl games.

I care if they win games that matter--like I'm pissed they lost to Ohio State and Michigan while others are happy we went 10-2.
Have you ever watched an All Star game or senior bowl or Blue-White game or Spring Training game or preseason NFL game, etc.? It's a simple concept.
You only care if they win games that matter. Your words. That means you didn't care if they won the last 2 games. They were in your mind, meaningless. If they lose the first 2 games next year will you "care" about the rest of the season? It will be meaningless.

Do you apply the same logic to the rest of your life?

You only care if they win games that matter. Your words. That means you didn't care if they won the last 2 games. They were in your mind, meaningless. If they lose the first 2 games next year will you "care" about the rest of the season? It will be meaningless.

And why do the G5 players bother to play any games? They have no chance of making the CFP before the season even starts, so why play at all? Such a waste of their time. They could be out doing something useful like drinking or doing drugs.

Reactions: johnmpsu

Regular season games are relevant. Bowl games aren't. That's why players don't sit out regular season games.
It's just "meaningless" in terms of qualifying for the playoff because the NCAA refuses to create a real playoff but next year improves that.
Give me an example for "the rest of my life"

And why do the G5 players bother to play any games? They have no chance of making the CFP before the season even starts, so why play at all? Such a waste of their time. They could be out doing something useful like drinking or doing drugs.
G5 should have their own level of play with a playoff. You're right, G5 teams are eliminated from the post season before the season starts yet you're fine with that.

The world changes in sports, business, politics…..you name it.
Quite often, $$$ is the reason for the changes. A reasonable guess is the “sit out” plan originated with agents looking out for the best interests of their clients.
It’s a new way of thinking. I don’t like what it has done to the bowl games, but I certainly understand it from the players’ perspectives. I can’t blame them one bit.

Last edited:
Comparing a NY6 Bowl game vs a top 10 opponent to the Blue-White game is ridiculous. There's a reason why the Blue-white game is free.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT