ADVERTISEMENT

Snyder pins Iowa loss on staff

psupride1997

Sep 1, 2010
From her Athletic article:

Roberson’s inability to lead the offense Saturday brings into question Penn State’s long-term issues with the No. 2 quarterback position. This was the void coaches wanted to fill in the offseason via the transfer portal, to bring in someone who could push Clifford and who, at the very least, could add experience to a room where there are just three scholarship quarterbacks (one is true freshman Christian Veilleux). Franklin said they had options via the portal but kept searching for the right fit. The staff failed to add anyone. This loss falls on them.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Seriously what a dumb take. Guys in the portal want to compete for a starting job...not come to be a back up. They will go to places without a returning starter. Perhaps they felt Roberson looked more capable in practice then the kids they could land in the portal.

PSU needed Caleb Williams that is only way PSU can win a title with an elite Qb wow is that kid talented, would have been nice for him coming off the bench after Clifford got hurt.

Reactions: Sharkies
PSU needed Caleb Williams that is only way PSU can win a title with an elite Qb wow is that kid talented, would have been nice for him coming off the bench after Clifford got hurt.
That kid would have been starting here, dude is uber-talented.. PSU wins that thing had SC stayed in the game..

Reactions: lions1995
Seriously what a dumb take. Guys in the portal want to compete for a starting job...not come to be a back up. They will go to places without a returning starter. Perhaps they felt Roberson looked more capable in practice then the kids they could land in the portal.
I'm usually very critical of Franklin but, really a stupid statement by Snyder and PSUNUT nailed it.

Clifford did throw 2 interceptions yesterday and Iowa has pretty good cover guys. I would not have guaranteed a win if Clifford wasn't hurt.
We would have only needed one more score and it would have been over. Iowa could only score 23 playing on a 50 yard field. Clifford would have just needed some first downs and we win the game. It’s not like he would have to have put up 50. It’s pretty safe to say he would have had one more scoring drive in him the rest of the game after having three in one quarter.

And if you bring in a guy with a couple years of eligibility through the portal who’s willing to sit for one year, then you mess with recruiting. I would rather take a three or four loss year to ensure getting Allar than risk it by bringing in some portal transfer.

We would have only needed one more score and it would have been over. Iowa could only score 23 playing on a 50 yard field. Clifford would have just needed some first downs and we win the game. It’s not like he would have to have put up 50. It’s pretty safe to say he would have had one more scoring drive in him the rest of the game after having three in one quarter.

he put up 17 points in 5 drives. You all actually think Iowa would have shut us out over 10 more drives like Roberson did?

Reactions: hlstone
Clifford did throw 2 interceptions yesterday and Iowa has pretty good cover guys. I would not have guaranteed a win if Clifford wasn't hurt.

Well of course you can't guarantee. But c'mon, it wasn't even close to the same without Clifford as with him. And yes, he threw 2 INTs, including one deep in our own territory. And we were STILL winning 17-3 when he got hurt. And Iowa still needed deep into the 4th quarter to finally take the lead. Supposition either way, but evidence suggests a PSU rout was more likely than an Iowa comeback had Clifford stayed in the game.

From her Athletic article:

Roberson’s inability to lead the offense Saturday brings into question Penn State’s long-term issues with the No. 2 quarterback position. This was the void coaches wanted to fill in the offseason via the transfer portal, to bring in someone who could push Clifford and who, at the very least, could add experience to a room where there are just three scholarship quarterbacks (one is true freshman Christian Veilleux). Franklin said they had options via the portal but kept searching for the right fit. The staff failed to add anyone. This loss falls on them.
where did she play? or coach?
just trying to weigh her opinion

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Well of course you can't guarantee. But c'mon, it wasn't even close to the same without Clifford as with him. And yes, he threw 2 INTs, including one deep in our own territory. And we were STILL winning 17-3 when he got hurt. And Iowa still needed deep into the 4th quarter to finally take the lead. Supposition either way, but evidence suggests a PSU rout was more likely than an Iowa comeback had Clifford stayed in the game.
Rout is the wrong word. Wasn’t gonna happen. A comfortable win was in the cards if we stay healthy, including Mustipher. Probably ended up 25-30 points for us.

I’d love to see a total stat for false starts per game in the Franklin era…..

Allar comes in early and is #1 next season
No way Allar switches to OSU now after probably witnessing the backup QB debacle yesterday. He has to see his chance for immediate playing time at PSU.

Here's a question: will PSU go after one of those backup OSU QBs - McCord or Jack Miller - when one (or maybe both) enters the portal. Both have looked solid in the times they've played this year in a backup role to Stroud

Last edited:
And who is to say Iowa scores 23 with Clifford playing, the false starts and totally inept offense gave them great field position the entire second half.

Strange had a couple of key drops too. Still - Roberson was juiced up; forcing throws and trying to throw everything on a rope. The INT’s are relatively meaningless - two were bad overthrows that were tracked down. Hopefully Clifford can reset between now and OSU. He’s easily the most important player we have.

No way Allar switches to OSU now after probably witnessing the backup QB debacle yesterday. He has to see his chance for immediate playing time at OSU.

Here's a question: will PSU go after one of those backup OSU QBs - McCord or Jack Miller - when one (or maybe both) enters the portal. Both have looked solid in the times they've played this year in a backup role to Stroud
McCord maybe based on location, Miller would go Pac 12 if he leaves. Probably others they look at as well.

Either way I think Allar sees whats going on and enrolls early if he hasn't already decided to and competes for QB1 next year.

No way Allar switches to OSU now after probably witnessing the backup QB debacle yesterday. He has to see his chance for immediate playing time at OSU.

Allar wasn’t switching any way.

PSU looked closely at TJ Finley, who is at Auburn now. He‘s not great, but would have been good enough to win yesterday. So I guess they did try, but not hard enough.

PSU looked closely at TJ Finley, who is at Auburn now. He‘s not great, but would have been good enough to win yesterday. So I guess they did try, but not hard enough.
Has to be mutual interest both ways clown. Thank hey cannot make a player come here that doesn’t want to.

Well, he probably went the Auburn route because he had a chance to beat out Bo Nix. And very little chance to beat Clifford. No amount of cajoling will overcome being a starter.

I am surprised at the drop from QB1 to QB2. I don't blame the staff for the departure of Levis (boy, wouldn't it have been great to have him take the field after Clifford went down!) and I guess there is only so much that one can do. Sounds like Texas A&M had similar struggles at QB and it took them 2-3 games to get their QB2/3 up-to-speed. If Clifford is out indefinitely (no idea/haven't heard anything), thank goodness we have the bye and then Illinois up next - will give Roberson time to get up to speed. Probably don't win in Columbus (would have been tough with Clifford healthy), but certainly have a chance in the rest. Go State!

As a sidebar, I think that a serviceable run game would have won PSU the game after Clifford went down. Didn't need to score... just keep Iowa on their side of the field. It is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT