ADVERTISEMENT

Snap counts and some thoughts

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
Most interesting to me are the DLine counts with Chop and Dennis-Sutton having more than Isaac. I think Dennis-Sutton is the true starter opposite Chop now at least in reps. Also van de Berg played more snaps (23) than I realized. Freshman Lyons did get in the game for 1 snap.

On, OL you know the starters but Loane (28) and Shelton (22) played a good bit as well.

I also found it odd that DeLuca played as many snaps as King (29). Rojas did get 10 snaps as well.

CB was also interesting in who it highlighted amongst the young guys with Miller (32), Tracy (11), and Washington (1). At safety, King Mack also did get 1 rep.

Here is some comment from their article that I also thought was interesting.
  • After looking at the drive chart, the key position on defense was the linebackers. On WVU’s only touchdown drive against the starting unit, Kobe King was absent for the entire drive and Curtis Jacobs only played 3 of the 9 snaps. None of the starting LBs played on WVU’s other scoring drive.

Most interesting to me are the DLine counts with Chop and Dennis-Sutton having more than Isaac. I think Dennis-Sutton is the true starter opposite Chop now at least in reps. Also van de Berg played more snaps (23) than I realized. Freshman Lyons did get in the game for 1 snap.

On, OL you know the starters but Loane (28) and Shelton (22) played a good bit as well.

I also found it odd that DeLuca played as many snaps as King (29). Rojas did get 10 snaps as well.

CB was also interesting in who it highlighted amongst the young guys with Miller (32), Tracy (11), and Washington (1). At safety, King Mack also did get 1 rep.

• After looking at the drive chart, the key position on defense was the linebackers. On WVU’s only touchdown drive against the starting unit, Kobe King was absent for the entire drive and Curtis Jacobs only played 3 of the 9 snaps. None of the starting LBs played on WVU’s other scoring drive.

good points.

I'd like to point out that WVU's TD was largely the result of a blown coverage where we gave up a long gainer because someone, CB or S, missed covering the wideout. The other WVU drives sputtered out when they got to midfield or into PSU territory where the offense is more compressed.

I know it isn't sexy but if I am the WVU coach, I run inside runs until the other teams stops it. I felt like they mixed up the plays because they felt they had to when we never completely stopped the run. Even the razzle-dazzle plays seemed misplaced and forced.

The worst defense decision that defies logic is the fact that DeLuca and Elsdon were on the field at the same time. If that keeps up Penn State will get destroyed by Ohio State and Michigan.

Reactions: tlbakernc
good points.

I'd like to point out that WVU's TD was largely the result of a blown coverage where we gave up a long gainer because someone, CB or S, missed covering the wideout. The other WVU drives sputtered out when they got to midfield or into PSU territory where the offense is more compressed.

I know it isn't sexy but if I am the WVU coach, I run inside runs until the other teams stops it. I felt like they mixed up the plays because they felt they had to when we never completely stopped the run. Even the razzle-dazzle plays seemed misplaced and forced.
IIRC Blackledge said once the DB blitzed it was the LB's (Deluca?) job to pick up the receiver. I guess I'd have to see the play again.

I totally agree that WVa should have run more. I think they only needed 2-3 yds on that failed trick play with 2 QBs and we weren't very successful stopping them on those situations up to that point.

IIRC Blackledge said once the DB blitzed it was the LB's (Deluca?) job to pick up the receiver. I guess I'd have to see the play again.

I totally agree that WVa should have run more. I think they only needed 2-3 yds on that failed trick play with 2 QBs and we weren't very successful stopping them on those situations up to that point.
Yep, WVU seemed to get 2 yards every time they just lined up for a QB sneak.

Only thing I'm not totally on board on within that analysis is the Safety situation. Yep there are 4 quality Safety's. But from what I saw, at this point Reed seems to be the most well rounded and consistent of the 4 and should be a true starter.

I totally agree on DeLuka. He doesn't seem to be as glaring a weakness as Elsdon but he looked like a weakness that won't make it against better teams. I read that the true freshman Robinson was listed as participating in the game but it must have been on special teams. So Robinson hasn't earned snaps at Mike at this point, somewhat disappointing for me as the sooner he develops the sooner the staff can move Elsdon to special teams duty (hopefully).

It seems that the competition for the backup LB spots is ongoing, but the sooner that Rojas can settle into the defense and earn more snaps the better the defense will be.

Last edited:

I have a hard time believing that. Nobody in their right mind would have Deluca covering a WR on a deep route. Maybe in the flat but when he released from the flat, somebody has to pick him up in the DB.

I have a hard time believing that. Nobody in their right mind would have Deluca covering a WR on a deep route. Maybe in the flat but when he released from the flat, somebody has to pick him up in the DB.
I saw that as Dom and corner went out on w WR's. Dom was inside but went to the outside WR and our DB didn't get back on their WR Carter. Horrible miscommunication and very questionable alignment

I saw that as Dom and corner went out on w WR's. Dom was inside but went to the outside WR and our DB didn't get back on their WR Carter. Horrible miscommunication and very questionable alignment
My guess is that Deluca had him in the flat. But released him to the Safety when he went deeper outside the flat. The S never picked him up, instead took the slot receiver to the inside. Fortunately, the S recovered to make the tackle but they scored a TD on the drive anyway.

it actually reminded me of my HS exhibition game my soph year. I was in a competition to start at OLB. we ran a 5-2 defense so, as OLB, I had to go out on the WR. When they broke huddle, the QB and WR stared at me. I knew something was up. On the snap, I had the WR in the flat. I looked for the S and he was nowhere to be found. So I figured I was better getting beat short than long. i was stride for stride with the WR. The QB threw a wounded duck and I had INT all over it. Unfortunately, the ball went between my hands and into the WRs belly where he caught it and scored an easy TD. Coach chewed me out in film and I was always taught to shut up and take it so I said nothing not wanting to throw the S under the bus. Right before our first game, coach called me into the office and told me I would not be starting. He cited that play saying "it isn't that you didn't catch the ball but you weren't even in the right defense!" Lesson learned.

BTW, the S ended up being an NAIA two-time all-American and in his college's hall of fame.

My guess is that Deluca had him in the flat. But released him to the Safety when he went deeper outside the flat. The S never picked him up, instead took the slot receiver to the inside. Fortunately, the S recovered to make the tackle but they scored a TD on the drive anyway.

it actually reminded me of my HS exhibition game my soph year. I was in a competition to start at OLB. we ran a 5-2 defense so, as OLB, I had to go out on the WR. When they broke huddle, the QB and WR stared at me. I knew something was up. On the snap, I had the WR in the flat. I looked for the S and he was nowhere to be found. So I figured I was better getting beat short than long. i was stride for stride with the WR. The QB threw a wounded duck and I had INT all over it. Unfortunately, the ball went between my hands and into the WRs belly where he caught it and scored an easy TD. Coach chewed me out in film and I was always taught to shut up and take it so I said nothing not wanting to throw the S under the bus. Right before our first game, coach called me into the office and told me I would not be starting. He cited that play saying "it isn't that you didn't catch the ball but you weren't even in the right defense!" Lesson learned.

BTW, the S ended up being an NAIA two-time all-American and in his college's hall of fame.
I was also an outside linebacker in HS and put in this position a few times with covering the WR in the flat and handing the coverage off to a safety if they turned up field. A lot of times, it meant that they were also sending a back to the flat and flooding that side of the field. At that point, the back became my responsibility. It required some good communication and everyone on the same page with responsibilities.

And like you, our one safety who was like a year ahead of me went on to play in college. He actually walked on at Maryland and had about a 5 inch growth spurt and put on probably 50 lbs. I ran into the guy in the gym one summer about maybe Jr year of college and this dude walks up to me and starts talking to me until I was like, I'm sorry but who are you? I honestly didn't even recognize the guy. He went from like 5'9" 160 skinny but fast to probably 6'2" 210 and ripped.

Reactions: Obliviax
I was also an outside linebacker in HS and put in this position a few times with covering the WR in the flat and handing the coverage off to a safety if they turned up field. A lot of times, it meant that they were also sending a back to the flat and flooding that side of the field. At that point, the back became my responsibility. It required some good communication and everyone on the same page with responsibilities.

And like you, our one safety who was like a year ahead of me went on to play in college. He actually walked on at Maryland and had about a 5 inch growth spurt and put on probably 50 lbs. I ran into the guy in the gym one summer about maybe Jr year of college and this dude walks up to me and starts talking to me until I was like, I'm sorry but who are you? I honestly didn't even recognize the guy. He went from like 5'9" 160 skinny but fast to probably 6'2" 210 and ripped.
ha! the high school experience.

BTW, when I approached the S he said "I looked over and the WR was well covered so I moved to the middle". My comment was "that wasn't what you were supposed to do!" and he countered saying he was the S and was supposed to do whatever the situation called for. The WR was covered so he went someplace else. As I said, he ended up have a very great small college career so who am I to say?

Reactions: Online Persona
We can dislike Dom and Elsdon getting snaps and be in favor of Rojas/Robinson/Wylie/Keys taking them, but the reality is we are building depth early and often. You want to keep your starters rested, healthy for as long as possible. This schedule sets up nicely. No 3 weeks of physical hell in a row this year.

Reactions: rcy4499
Only thing I'm not totally on board on within that analysis is the Safety situation. Yep there are 4 quality Safety's. But from what I saw, at this point Reed seems to be the most well rounded and consistent of the 4 and should be a true starter.

I totally agree on DeLuka. He doesn't seem to be as glaring a weakness as Elsdon but he looked like a weakness that won't make it against better teams. I read that the true freshman Robinson was listed as participating in the game but it must have been on special teams. So Robinson hasn't earned snaps at Mike at this point, somewhat disappointing for me as the sooner he develops the sooner the staff can move Elsdon to special teams duty (hopefully).

It seems that the competition for the backup LB spots is ongoing, but the sooner that Rojas can settle into the defense and earn more snaps the better the defense will be.

A few months ago you were raving about LB depth. Now Deluca and Elson are a weakness.

Dont expect Robinson to be ready. He is learning a new position. He played CB, S and DE in HS and missed a season with injury.

A few months ago you were raving about LB depth. Now Deluca and Elson are a weakness.

Dont expect Robinson to be ready. He is learning a new position. He played CB, S and DE in HS and missed a season with injury.
I think we are going to be seeing a lot of Rojas and quickly. He just needs some more game reps and he is going to become a significant part of the LB rotation. I would bring him in for either outside LBs when they get a rest in big games once he gets enough reps. And King is going to have to be the guy in the middle and he can come to the sideline on obvious passing downs.

We can dislike Dom and Elsdon getting snaps and be in favor of Rojas/Robinson/Wylie/Keys taking them, but the reality is we are building depth early and often. You want to keep your starters rested, healthy for as long as possible. This schedule sets up nicely. No 3 weeks of physical hell in a row this year.

Maybe. I am skeptical.

When you have freshman 4 stars lined up after 4 veteran stars and they are splitting reps and gaining experience, I see your point.

After Carter and Jacobs there are a lot of question marks.. We really need King, Rojas, Wylie to step up.

I dont see why anyone was expecting Elsdon to do much. Deluca was a walk on. He was good on special teams but do you want him running with OSU?

Maybe. I am skeptical.

When you have freshman 4 stars lined up after 4 veteran stars and they are splitting reps and gaining experience, I see your point.

After Carter and Jacobs there are a lot of question marks.. We really need King, Rojas, Wylie to step up.

I dont see why anyone was expecting Elsdon to do much. Deluca was a walk on. He was good on special teams but do you want him running with OSU?

We've had some guys develop very well in S&C, so perhaps that is why Elsdon got some good rep here. Deluca is a situational guy, but I wouldn't put him in with Elsdon at Mike and Jacobs at Will (like I think we did). He's probably better strictly relieving Jacobs at Sam with Carter/King on the field or coming in with the Prowler package here and there if he's capable.

I think Delaware is a good game to split the reps, but I like having the 2s work in with the 1s vs wholesale substitution.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Most interesting to me are the DLine counts with Chop and Dennis-Sutton having more than Isaac. I think Dennis-Sutton is the true starter opposite Chop now at least in reps.

It appeared to me that Dennis-Sutton was getting handled by the WVU linemen significantly easier than Isaac.

I wasn't "raving". Others were predicting Rojas to be a starting LB. Not me, and I pointed out that he is an OLB and that OLB starters are the strength of the LB unit. And that I was hoping that King would progress and push Elsdon to the bench, which he apparently has. From what I saw I was disappointed in the play of the backup LB's, but it was only one game, and Carter who most believe to be an all B1G LB didn't exactly set the world on fire last Saturday either. Just one game.

I don't "expect" Robinson to be ready shortly. I do expect him to be "ready" for next season, and I would not be surprised if as other have mentioned he is "ready" for some snaps at LB towards the end of the season. The staff mentioned that there are some players that COULD be ready to play by game 5 or so, but didn't mention names. Yes, we all know where Robinson played in H.S. and that he missed his senior year of H.S. But Rojas also was a DE in H.S. and that transition can be made by some pretty quickly as Rojas has shown. And the reports out of Spring were that Robinson made great progress at LB. So although none here can predict the future, not even you, we can speculate as to the potential Robinson might bring at Mike when the staff is confident in him enough to play him. And I'm still hoping that is sooner than what you seem to believe. Until then we all knew it would be Elsdon as one of the Mike LB's playing, either as the starter or 2nd team. Hard to believe any PSU fan would not be hoping that Robinson could create more compeition at Mike LB and potentially improve the depth at that position as soon as that is possible.

Regarding DeLuka, he seemed to play better last season than he did vs WVU, and he hopefully will play better going forward or he too might lose his spot on the 2 deep to one of the young LB's if players such as Rojas, Wylie and Keys continue to improve.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT