ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP -- Penn State is Tier 3 with Notre Dame, Florida, LSU

If we take off our Penn State sunglasses, the write up on Penn State is spot on. We have been close and the offense (quarterback and wide receivers) needs to step it up in order to get to the playoffs. We are grouped with other teams who are close as well and we are not at the same level of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, and Oklahoma.

I'm fine with the ranking for PSU, knocking on the door, great but not elite, and new coaches at multiple positions.

But Michigan is once again ranked higher than they should be for no reason at all. Seriously, the writer included them in Tier 4 and the only positive thing he had to say was "they were one 4th down spot from the playoffs" - except that was 4 years ago. I guess they could only go to tier 5 as tier 6 is for non blue chip ratio teams, but still shouldn't be in tier 4.

If we take off our Penn State sunglasses, the write up on Penn State is spot on. We have been close and the offense (quarterback and wide receivers) needs to step it up in order to get to the playoffs. We are grouped with other teams who are close as well and we are not at the same level of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, and Oklahoma.
But put Oklahoma in the Big 10 East and we’ll see what tier they’re in.

With my blue/white glasses on, if you look at OSU vs PSU the last several years, there is certainly an argument to knock them down. If I were OSU, I would be worried that they had a hard time putting us away and actually needed a series of monumental failures to beat us. I know that goes both ways, but we are very, very close. With that said, had we won two of those games, would we be in the top tier? I doubt it.

I just can't get over the constant over-rating of Notre Dame. They play a cupcake schedule, occasionally slither into the playoffs because they never play a conference championship game, and get curb-stomped when they go up against a real playoff team. They are pretenders, not contenders, and I wish they played Penn State every year.

Reactions: sdwcpa and LioninNC
With my blue/white glasses on, if you look at OSU vs PSU the last several years, there is certainly an argument to knock them down. If I were OSU, I would be worried that they had a hard time putting us away and actually needed a series of monumental failures to beat us. I know that goes both ways, but we are very, very close. With that said, had we won two of those games, would we be in the top tier? I doubt it.

I dont think OSU should be worried, they have been our daddy since we joined the big 10. Sure, these guys are tough, well coached, not to be taken lightly, but worried? No, nor should they be. Now, we beat em a few times or god forbid in their place? Sure.

Reactions: db90
I dont think OSU should be worried, they have been our daddy since we joined the big 10. Sure, these guys are tough, well coached, not to be taken lightly, but worried? No, nor should they be. Now, we beat em a few times or god forbid in their place? Sure.
We're due. They can't stay on top forever and we're the only ones getting close in the BIG.

I agree. Oklahoma has been pretty much ‘team 4’ in the playoffs the last few years. They get put in because of a relatively weak schedule, a down Texas program, and a weak PAC 12 champion. They get to the playoffs and then generally get quickly dismissed.

Georgia is another 1 hit wonder (in terms of recent success). They had a great 2017, but have had only 1 SEC championship in 15 years. They’ve made it to the SEC title game 5 times in those 15 years but can’t get by Alabama or LSU. (Very similar to PSU who generally can’t get by Ohio State).

I agree. Oklahoma has been pretty much ‘team 4’ in the playoffs the last few years. They get put in because of a relatively weak schedule, a down Texas program, and a weak PAC 12 champion. They get to the playoffs and then generally get quickly dismissed.

Georgia is another 1 hit wonder (in terms of recent success). They had a great 2017, but have had only 1 SEC championship in 15 years. They’ve made it to the SEC title game 5 times in those 15 years but can’t get by Alabama or LSU. (Very similar to PSU who generally can’t get by Ohio State).

I would wager if we got the types of commits that UGA has been getting, this board would be having a field day.

THIS. Oklahoma has a cakewalk every year. Then they get walloped in the playoffs. I also think Georgia does belong at the same level as Alabama, LSU, Clemson or Ohio State. Those four teams have an edge right now on everyone else, IMHO. But they can be had if things go right.

I think the ratings are pretty fair. I've never seen the term "tier" used to include one item or in this case team. I think the objection is to the reference of the tier rather than the ranking order of the teams.

Reactions: step.eng69
I think the ratings are pretty fair. I've never seen the term "tier" used to include one item or in this case team. I think the objection is to the reference of the tier rather than the ranking order of the teams.
I think the objection is to the criteria being used. Apparently it’s making the CFP, which is fine but doesn’t take into account some teams having an easier road than others.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
I would wager if we got the types of commits that UGA has been getting, this board would be having a field day.

UGA will get back to the playoffs soon enough.

Hell, 2019 was a disappointing year for them, and they still won 12 games. Fromm had serious limitations, and their offense was pretty unimaginative. But their defense is loaded, and they've got playmakers all over the field on both sides of the ball. If they fix the offense, look out.

In terms of their future potential, I'd rank them in that same group as Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State.

Reactions: step.eng69
Throw out Georgia and Oklahoma and I'd agree. Oklahoma gets a pass right into the playoff and Georhia underachieves.

UGA will get back to the playoffs soon enough.

Hell, 2019 was a disappointing year for them, and they still won 12 games. Fromm had serious limitations, and their offense was pretty unimaginative. But their defense is loaded, and they've got playmakers all over the field on both sides of the ball. If they fix the offense, look out.

In terms of their future potential, I'd rank them in that same group as Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State.
Georgia is kind of like Wisconsin....they benefit from being in the right division of the SEC.

Reactions: psu00 and djr4rebs

It’s been a popular way of ranking teams on the college football subreddit for many years. Here’s an example:

https://fanjuicer.com/2019/11/the-m...er-week-12-georgia-alabama-oklahoma-or-oregon
Week13-HeaderGraph.png

Oklahoma is a product of their crappy conference.

Reactions: odshowtime
Here’s my tiers:

1. Have won NCs, in playoffs almost every year, favorites to win their conferences every year.

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma

2. Competes every year for their conference championship, capable of getting into playoffs.

PSU, Mich, ND, Oregon, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Texas, USC

3. Competes for their conference championship every few years or so, longshots to make playoffs.

Wisc, MSU, Wash, Tenn, Baylor, Texas a&m, Florida State

4. Historically strong but would take an extra-ordinary year to win their conference and make playoffs.

Nebraska, Iowa, Minn, Utah, Okla. State, VT, Miami, No. Car.

5. Everyone else.

Reactions: BrucePa
Pretty fair writeup IMO. PSU as the writer suggests is very close, and this is probably the best team PSU will have had in the Franklin era.

Remember that before Clemson was what they are now, they were doing the "Clemsoning" thing for several years losing games in the most mind-boggling ways. PSU has been in that same spot the past few years "Clemsoning", and this may be the year that PSU could finally break through with the roster that they have.

Of course Covid would happen this year.

I think this is fair. I think PSU is currently somewhere between 6-9 in the ranking of best programs at the moment. We haven’t broken through to the top just yet... need to beat OSU more often and make a CFP to be considered top 5 again.

Reactions: psu00
Few thoughts on Georgia.... I think GA gets it's lofty status because of their recruiting success and their super impressive physical talent. Look up & down a UGA roster and it's as physically impressive as anyone in the country... including Bama, Clemson & Ohio State. In other words... Georgia definitely passes the "eye ball test".

But, they have not exactly parlayed that into championship success. As someone else noted, they've won 1 SEC championship the last 15 years. And they are a current benefactor of a "down" SEC East. Over the last 5-10 years Tenn has been VERY down and Florida has been down & going thru coaching changes. The last few years, Georgia has almost a "cake walk" into the SEC Championship Game. This should change. Tenn appears to be building back. I think Tenn is still about 2 great recruiting classes away from truly competing with the likes of UGA, but Tenn is improving. And Florida with Mullen is getting very close. This coming year and moving forward, those games against Tenn & Florida will not be as easy.

IMO. UGA would have to win at least one more SEC Championship before I place them in the tier 1 group with the likes of Bama, Ohio State & Clemson

It's actually simple, sort of.

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma are the top four, year in and year out. Oklahoma benefits by being in a weaker conference.

LSU and Georgia have to beat Alabama in order to get into that mix. LSU took all the marbles last year.

Penn State has to beat Ohio State a few years in a row to get into the mix.

Notre Dame is irrelevant as long as they don't join a conference and play a conference championship game. If they join the ACC, they have to beat Clemson regularly to get into the mix.

Having one team as 1a and in tier 2 is a cop out. They may both in the higher side of a larger tier 2 along with Penn State but don’t deserve their own levels.

Clemson is in tier one but in my opinion their success is not only they beat people in an easy conference, they are not banged up at the end of the season because they are playing scrimmages instead of games. Put them in the Big 10 or the SEC and they see the final 4 half or less as much.

So 3 teams in tier 1 including Clemson as the weakest of the 3 then tier 2 with Ga and OK U plus the present tier 3 less Florida who has a way to go with the recent streak of improvement.

In looking at this years BCR, the top three have really separated from the field. Those three are Bama, Ohio State, and Georgia with over 80% of their roster blue chippers! Georgia plays at Bama early so that may knock one of them down a bit.

Next are a bunch in the low sixties headed up by Texas so Oklahoma will be challenged this year.

Also, Ohio State has to play at PSU and Clemson has to play at ND in November so this year should be wide open.

Mostly fair, but I disagree that Oklahoma should be grouped with the other 4 in that grouping.

Pretty fair writeup IMO. PSU as the writer suggests is very close, and this is probably the best team PSU will have had in the Franklin era.

Remember that before Clemson was what they are now, they were doing the "Clemsoning" thing for several years losing games in the most mind-boggling ways. PSU has been in that same spot the past few years "Clemsoning", and this may be the year that PSU could finally break through with the roster that they have.

Of course Covid would happen this year.

yes COVID could wind up hurting one of our best teams since JF was here. BTW in case we forgot is also gut punched our MBB team going to the dance.

Reactions: odshowtime
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT