ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Gunther transferring to Illini

I don"t believe it is a smoke and fire thing. It is done.
Young will man 157 and probably do a good enough job to secure some placement points for the Hawks at NCAAs. I am happy the kid is getting his chance.

Kemerer gets to eat and sturdy his body. It doesn't do much for his championship aspirations though. He trades one PSU kid he can not beat for a different one, plus Z.

For the Hawks though it is a good move. 157 - 174 they get 3 probable AAs instead of 2 and a gap.

I don"t believe it is a smoke and fire thing. It is done.
Young will man 157 and probably do a good enough job to secure some placement points for the Hawks at NCAAs. I am happy the kid is getting his chance.

Kemerer gets to eat and sturdy his body. It doesn't do much for his championship aspirations though. He trades one PSU kid he can not beat for a different one, plus Z.

For the Hawks though it is a good move. 157 - 174 they get 3 probable AAs instead of 2 and a gap.

Getting probable AA status after a 9-7 season last year seems a bit of a stretch.

Maybe the move down in weight will be good for Young, but placement points at 157 won't come easy.

Returning AAs at 157: Jason, Hidlay, Jordan (or Hayes?), Shields, Pantaleo, Berger.

Incoming at 157: Deakin, Lewis (28-2 at VT -- both 2-pt losses to Marsteller).

Other notables at 157: Monday, Fox, Van Brill, Finesilver, Stroker, etc

Podium is gonna be an uphill climb for Young. And that's assuming at cut to 157 isn't too much.

Getting probable AA status after a 9-7 season last year seems a bit of a stretch.

Maybe the move down in weight will be good for Young, but placement points at 157 won't come easy.
I guess if you choose to evaluate the kid's potential based on his performance as an undersized 174 pounder (exception being the pounding he took from IMAR at 165), then expecting success may seem far fetched.
I see the kid, who is strong as a bull with a tremendous work ethic, getting a chance to compete at a weight that provides him a competitive opportunity and having some decent success.

Woah, didn't realize Lewis was 28-2. Was that legit, or was that the Mizzou soft schedule?
Opens circuit, but he was 4th at the Scuffle with the 2 close losses to Marsteller.

Some decent wins: Romero, Finesilver 2x, Wolf (MD), Torres, Bullard, Coy. Plus a lot of bonus -- 7 MD, 3 TF, 9 pins.

I guess if you choose to evaluate the kid's potential based on his performance as an undersized 174 pounder (exception being the pounding he took from IMAR at 165), then expecting success may seem far fetched.
I see the kid, who is strong as a bull with a tremendous work ethic, getting a chance to compete at a weight that provides him a competitive opportunity and having some decent success.

Do we know if 157 is his ideal weight? He wrestled 165 in his RS year and was at 74 kgs last weekend ... with a couple lb allowance i think.

You might be right, but until he shows some results I would have at possible AA rather than probable.

Reactions: andegre
Young struggled to get above 170lbs last year. Shouldn't have much trouble getting to 157. Now holding and maintaining is another story.

Young struggled to get above 170lbs last year. Shouldn't have much trouble getting to 157. Now holding and maintaining is another story.
From what I know of the kid, he is very disciplined. First, I would guess he has already upped his road work training to bring the weight where it needs to be to make 157 very manageable. Second, I can't imagine he wouldn't follow the weight management plan to the T. Getting there and maintaining for this kid will not be a mental issue.

I would guess Guenther won't be the only transfer. I'm thinking Happel or another of their guys in that weight class range will move on also. It would not surprise me to see Murin transfer. It doesn't always pan out on the road from Cambria county pennsylvania, to Iowa city. Like popcorn, some pop, some don't(Steve Mowrey, Dziewa, etc).

I would guess Guenther won't be the only transfer. I'm thinking Happel or another of their guys in that weight class range will move on also. It would not surprise me to see Murin transfer. It doesn't always pan out on the road from Cambria county pennsylvania, to Iowa city. Like popcorn, some pop, some don't(Steve Mowrey, Dziewa, etc).

The game is changing from recruiting over people to transferring in over people.

A few more transfers -- and they all relate back to Edinboro:

With Dakota Geer now at Okie State, Poke 184 starter Keegan Moore is headed to Northern Iowa.

VT HWT starter Andrew Dunn has announced he will transfer out (no destination yet). Replacing him will be Edinboro HWT Billy Miller.

On the subject of Edinboro, I saw rumor yesterday that Hill is going to bring AJ Shopp back as an assistant coach. If true, I like the hire.

From the photo they posted over there, looks like he has filled out quite a bit already. Reminds me of DT; amazing what can happen when these big framed guys start eating and lifting for muscle growth.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
I saw that. Good for Kem.
would be interesting to know why he doesn't want to go 165 - can he beat out the Bull? Some speculation, eh? Think it is as straightforward as "I don't want to cut weight and think 174 is perfect"?

would be interesting to know why he doesn't want to go 165 - can he beat out the Bull? Some speculation, eh? Think it is as straightforward as "I don't want to cut weight and think 174 is perfect"?
Beat out the Bull? From what I've gathered, 174 for Kemerer makes then a better team than beating out Marinelli, and having Marinelli go 174...the concern from what I've read, is that Marinelli is a natural 165, and would be small at 174, and Kemerer was facing quite a cut at 157, and he will fill in nicely at 174. Seems to work out ok, but then again, this is only June. Time will tell exactly how it plays out.

Beat out the Bull? From what I've gathered, 174 for Kemerer makes then a better team than beating out Marinelli, and having Marinelli go 174...the concern from what I've read, is that Marinelli is a natural 165, and would be small at 174, and Kemerer was facing quite a cut at 157, and he will fill in nicely at 174. Seems to work out ok, but then again, this is only June. Time will tell exactly how it plays out.
yep, saw all that but was just wondering if anyone had the real scoop - since he has Pa roots. BTN had a replay of one of their BTN60 shows and it contained the Bull/Cenzo match... The Bull 'throws' some heavy ties!

With the Kem move, they go Ohio State on us, creating a very tough scenario for next season. Compare:

125: Lee>Nato
133: DeSanto=Pletcher
141: Renteria<McKenna
149: Lugo=Hayes
157: Young=Micah
165: Bull>Campbell
174: Kem=Bojo
184: $<MyMar
197: Warner=Moore
Hwt: Stoll<Snyder

Will it come down to one match? I don't think so, but it's going to be close. They are a close 2nd now.

From the photo they posted over there, looks like he has filled out quite a bit already. Reminds me of DT; amazing what can happened when these big framed guys start eating and lifting for muscle growth.
So no steroid rumors from that crowd like we hear with DT I assume?

#hypocrisyinfinity

Reactions: PSUer1989
With the Kem move, they go Ohio State on us, creating a very tough scenario for next season. Compare:

Will it come down to one match? I don't think so, but it's going to be close. They are a close 2nd now.
#fakedrama

Reactions: TangSoo

I'll need to see Iowa's deadlift numbers before I make that comparison.

I'll need to see Iowa's deadlift numbers before I make that comparison.
Those Iowa guys are way too pale to compete with Ohio State. And it starts at the top.

B_p0t8uUgAAGGaM.png

Lee > Teasdale
DeSanto = RBY
Renteria< Lee
Lugo < Berge
Young <<< Nolf
Bull < Joseph
Kemerer < Hall
$ < Shak
Warner < Bo
Stoll = Nevills

I don’t agree that Desanto equals RBY. I certainly do not agree Stoll equals Nevills. Nick beat him except the last time at NCAA’s and Nick wore a sling after so I assume injury was involved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT