ADVERTISEMENT

Should we be rooting for USC?????

RTRMR

Oct 14, 2018
If they go any less than 9-3, they’ll fire Helton.
If they fire Helton = CJF to USC/CJF to USC rumors

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
I agree that the rumors would start again as they did last year. Any of us would be naive to think that JF would stay forever and would close all his options. James is a young, galvanizing force who can recruit as well as anyone. He is a mover and a shaker, and I mean that as a positive. Would he seriously consider a Southern Cal...why not? It's an easier conf to manage than the B1G...and even better recruiting landscape from CAL to TX. It's comical to see people on here always shove aside the idea that he might leave for a "change" or a new challenge....we should always be leery of coach speak about "loving where they are " etc. With that being said, I think JF likes being here, he is a native PA son...but that doesn't always mean everything. It's a good thing that JF is sought after...I'd rather want that than people not holding him in high regard.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
We have to pay him, simple as that
He is paid well but we may need to pay more to hold onto his assistants, most notably Seider and Spencer. Facility fund raising has been a nightmare for years, but IMO, your staff is even more vital. See last yr with Galiano etc.

Reactions: marshall23
I agree that the rumors would start again as they did last year. Any of us would be naive to think that JF would stay forever and would close all his options. James is a young, galvanizing force who can recruit as well as anyone. He is a mover and a shaker, and I mean that as a positive. Would he seriously consider a Southern Cal...why not? It's an easier conf to manage than the B1G...and even better recruiting landscape from CAL to TX. It's comical to see people on here always shove aside the idea that he might leave for a "change" or a new challenge....we should always be leery of coach speak about "loving where they are " etc. With that being said, I think JF likes being here, he is a native PA son...but that doesn't always mean everything. It's a good thing that JF is sought after...I'd rather want that than people not holding him in high regard.

The California "recruiting landscape" is getting seriously overblown. Talk to people that live in Pac 12 Country, and they will tell you that it is getting harder and harder to find the same number of quality big bodies that you find in the South and Midwest due to the high influx of Asians and Latin American Hispanics.

The Pac 12 XM Radio Station had a show on it a couple of weeks ago about how the Big Ten and SEC are dominating the PAC 12 at the line of scrimmage more and more every year. Said that even though California has the highest population in the country, between 60 and 70% of the population is now Latin American (not Caribbean) Hispanic and Asian. Even used Penn State as an example as to how they just had different body types than Washington in the Fiesta Bowl a couple of years ago.

CJF would be beyond nuts to go out there.

The California "recruiting landscape" is getting seriously overblown. Talk to people that live in Pac 12 Country, and they will tell you that it is getting harder and harder to find the same number of quality big bodies that you find in the South and Midwest due to the high influx of Asians and Latin American Hispanics.

The Pac 12 XM Radio Station had a show on it a couple of weeks ago about how the Big Ten and SEC are dominating the PAC 12 at the line of scrimmage more and more every year. Said that even though California has the highest population in the country, between 60 and 70% of the population is now Latin American (not Caribbean) Hispanic and Asian. Even used Penn State as an example as to how they just had different body types than Washington in the Fiesta Bowl a couple of years ago.

All good points...I will add that PA numbers have been well publicized as decreasing, especially with elite talent, forcing u to leave the state to recruit. But, yes, the landscape is changing out West too.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
USC has been unable to hire the big name. Chris Peterson turned them down and then went to UW, the Oregon State guy turned them down and then went to Neb. And Pete Carroll was not a big time hire but they lucked out. Something there scares off established coaches and USC has to get rookies. I don't see Franklin going there.

Pretty sure Franklin, or any half decent coach, at USC would recruit nationally while selling LA. He’d crush it out there

Pretty sure Franklin, or any half decent coach, at USC would recruit nationally while selling LA. He’d crush it out there

LA is getting harder and harder to "sell" every year. It ain't what it used to be. South Central LA isn't State College.

Who are the trolls that constantly post this crap. JFF is not going to USC, they don’t have near th money nor the facilities to buy out Franklin from psu.

Franklin's buyout is a whopping $1mm. If they don't have that in petty cash, a phone call to Olivia Jade's Mom and it will be there in five minutes.

Since that has been disposed of, they're not interested in Franklin, not that something couldn't develop.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I believe I read something last year about USC's inability to pony up sufficient money to sweeten a lateral jump for a "great" or "elite" coach. I'm pretty sure it regarded the likes of Urbs and CJF. In other words, the gist I get is that USC wouldn't be able to pay CJF much more (or any more) than PSU is already paying him and that they would have a difficult time getting buyout money put together.

If I had to speculate wildly:

(1) USC has a lot of issues that are not necessarily or reasonable assignable to Helton, and therefore it is far more likely that (unless there is no love between Helton and the admin - which I am not seeing) USC gives Helton at least another year to right the ship.
(2) USC is a prime target for an NFL coach or a college coach who is looking to get back into the game. I.e. no buyout and much more negotiating room at lower numbers.

To me, unless there is similar heat between CJF and admin, the only real threats are the likes of Bama, Eagles, or Steelers. (It'd be hard for CJF (in my mind) not to consider the Eagles job IF IT WERE EVER to open up.

LA is getting harder and harder to "sell" every year. It ain't what it used to be. South Central LA isn't State College.

No it’s not. State College isn’t for everybody. Easy to find 20-25 18 year old studs who want to play in LA

Well stated - the biggest draw IMO would be a much easier path to the National Championship. If he pulled in top 5/10 classes at USC he'd dominate the PAC 12.

People either love the LA scene or hate it. CJF may hate it.

I don't think CJF would go to USC, but I also don't think he'd hate it. Do you see how he wears a suit and sunglasses like a movie star before every game and he goes through the crowd shaking hands. He loves the glitz and glam. See the parties he throws in the locker room after wins? Party alllll night long. ;)

Of course, I think he would prefer to make PSU like a little LA rather than go there...he loves his home and values loyalty.

Exactly right. My son lives about a half mile from the campus. Rough neighborhood. While the streets of the campus are nice, not a lot of positives for the surrounding area. Therefore CJF would need to drive a reasonable amount in traffic to get to work, instead of his current short commute. It’s very possible him nor his family have any interest in living out there. I know I sure don’t, much prefer SC and its clean air and quality of life.

I guess the CJF to (insert open coaching job) rumors will never end. He isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. His program is still on the rise and his family loves State College.

But they are a much easier flight to Samoa!;)

I root hard for USC every year when they play Notre Lame. I root hard for anyone playing Notre Lame. My second favorite NCAA football team is whoever is playing Notre Lame.

WOW!
Stay Classy!

My sincerest apologies RTRMR. COMPLETELY misread your post. We are on the same page!!! NO WAY do I want CJF going to USC!!!!!!

GO USC!!!!!! : ^ )

Once again, my apologies. I owe you a beer. : ^ )

Exactly right. My son lives about a half mile from the campus. Rough neighborhood. While the streets of the campus are nice, not a lot of positives for the surrounding area. Therefore CJF would need to drive a reasonable amount in traffic to get to work, instead of his current short commute. It’s very possible him nor his family have any interest in living out there. I know I sure don’t, much prefer SC and its clean air and quality of life.
CJF would not be living in South Central if he took the USC job. But that’s not gonna happen. The PSU job is a better job, period.

I can't wait until USC fires their coach and CJF turns them down.
Coach James Franklin will NOT have the opportunity to accept or reject an offer from USC.
The first offer of a big payday will be to suburban liar.
Just my (and many others) thoughts.
(Apologies if someone else posted this below RGWhirly’s post. I replied before reading entire thread)

OL

No it’s not. State College isn’t for everybody. Easy to find 20-25 18 year old studs who want to play in LA
No idea why you think State College isn’t for him - you don’t know and neither do I. No offense to anyone here who lives in LA but man that place has gone way downhill the last 10 years and not sure I would want to raise their kids there. With money it’s much easier but the great weather is wasted on a lot of those people.

Reactions: flash86
No idea why you think State College isn’t for him - you don’t know and neither do I. No offense to anyone here who lives in LA but man that place has gone way downhill the last 10 years and not sure I would want to raise their kids there. With money it’s much easier but the great weather is wasted on a lot of those people.
Have you ever lived in LA? Or anywhere nearby?

I didn’t say anything about Franklin not liking State College. And the rest of your post is plain dumb

0 points

Have you ever lived in LA? Or anywhere nearby?
So I go there multiple times a year and we can’t even hire people out to go there - better than the Bay Area though - cost of living is a killer there. But to your question I guess I can’t comment on anyplace unless I love there - gotcha.

CJF would not be living in South Central if he took the USC job. But that’s not gonna happen. The PSU job is a better job, period.

I agree and that’s what I meant. But he will have a much tougher commute then now, plus the other factors of living in LA

CJF loves PSU. His family has really taken to central PA and don't ever want to leave just like a certain guy on McKee St did. LA is garbage and so it USC.

Reactions: psrurock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT