ADVERTISEMENT

Should there be a 3 way tie...

Psugo823

Aug 17, 2021
Between psu, mich. And osu, all at 11-1, who goes to the championship game? If all three lost to one another?

I believe that it's psu since they are the team with the longest period Between title games?

Ain’t gonna happen. In such a case there are secret protocols and twisted obscure machinations in place by the BIG to insure that either OSU or UM are selected. This is their fail safe plan should either of the above not actually win on the field or with the assistance of the games referees.

No way he "has to". 11-1 will get Penn State to the playoffs....providing the tie breaker goes to PSU.
I understand why expectations are high. But too often that only leads to disappointment. Football is different than other sports. What if Allar gets injured early on? Singleton and Allen go down like Brown and Cain?
I'm looking forward to the season...but lots can happen in a season and there are actually opponents that play to win each week. This isn't Madden. People who are counting on 12-0, might as well start being pissed off right now.

PSU's season will depend on Allar. If hes fantastic 11 or 12 wins. Pretty good is 9 or 10. Bad or injured is 7 or 8. I think we have enough talent on O & D to go wildcat and get 6 wins.

Reactions: BBHorn86
PSU's season will depend on Allar. If hes fantastic 11 or 12 wins. Pretty good is 9 or 10. Bad or injured is 7 or 8. I think we have enough talent on O & D to go wildcat and get 6 wins.
The question is, will a 3 way tie go our way

So I got this: winning percentage of all non divisional opponents...so basically root for every non division team we beat to win their other games.
Projected opponents finish from another site:
PSU: Northwestern 2-10, Illinois 5-7, Iowa 9-3
Ohio St: Purdue 4-8, Wisconsin 10-2, Minnesota 8-4
Michigan: Nebraska 7-5, Minnesota 8-4, Purdue 4-8

Looks like we drew the worst combined projected finish of the non-divisional opponents. We have to especially root for Minnesota and Purdue to underperform since they play both Ohio St and Michigan.

Projected opponents finish from another site:
PSU: Northwestern 2-10, Illinois 5-7, Iowa 9-3
Ohio St: Purdue 4-8, Wisconsin 10-2, Minnesota 8-4
Michigan: Nebraska 7-5, Minnesota 8-4, Purdue 4-8

Looks like we drew the worst combined projected finish of the non-divisional opponents. We have to especially root for Minnesota and Purdue to underperform since they play both Ohio St and Michigan.
There is no way Northwestern finishes as they did last year. Fitz has never had 2 poor teams in a row. Also Purdue is going to be down this year as will Minnesota without that great rb

Assuming PSU, OSU and UM all go 1-1 against each other then the likely tiebreaker criteria will be #5, the cumulative win percentage of the non divisional opponents. So we need to root for Iowa, Northwestern and Illinois.

Assuming PSU, OSU and UM all go 1-1 against each other then the likely tiebreaker criteria will be #5, the cumulative win percentage of the non divisional opponents. So we need to root for Iowa, Northwestern and Illinois.
And I honestly think those 3 end up better than Minnesota, Wisconsin and Purdue, or Nebby.

Let's first actually beat UM or OSU. Ideally both to eliminate the convoluted tiebreakers.

Reactions: blair10
Franklin has to go 12-0 this year. It is his best chance to date
Has to go 12-0? Have you noticed there are two teams in the BIG, both playoff participants last year, ranked in the top five in the country? Evidently not or you don't know what that means.

Reactions: marshall23
If anyone believes that these rules regarding three or two way ties are written in stone, and will be faithfully adhered to, then I believe that you will be disappointed. Please allow me to present some Historical Facts.
1. 1994, we went undefeated, beat OSU 64 to 14, but BIG TEN voters (both coaches and scribes) down graded us from number 1 in the polls. That’s how National champs were determined back then.
2. 2016 we beat OSU and won the BIG outright, but then we learned about the “eye test”. Does anyone think they didn’t have actual selection or tie breaker rules back then?
3. 2019 we were robbed of the Rose Bowl, by a Wisconsin team that had more losses. If anyone remembers, during the BIG championship game while Wisconsin was being pounded, the commentators were crying for Wisconsin not to be excluded from the Rose Bowl. Them winning the BIG West was described as an important factor, but a few years earlier our winning the BIG outright was meaningless. I humbly suggest that the fix was in.
As long as OSU and UM are 1 and 1A, and Barry at Wisconsin is clearly number 2 we’re at a disadvantage.
Should the three way tie happen with us beating both OSU and UM, don’t be shocked if the new overriding selection criteria is “Longevity of Excellence” or “Recent playoff experience” was the deciding factor”.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
If anyone believes that these rules regarding three or two way ties are written in stone, and will be faithfully adhered to, then I believe that you will be disappointed. Please allow me to present some Historical Facts.
1. 1994, we went undefeated, beat OSU 64 to 14, but BIG TEN voters (both coaches and scribes) down graded us from number 1 in the polls. That’s how National champs were determined back then.
2. 2016 we beat OSU and won the BIG outright, but then we learned about the “eye test”. Does anyone think they didn’t have actual selection or tie breaker rules back then?
3. 2019 we were robbed of the Rose Bowl, by a Wisconsin team that had more losses. If anyone remembers, during the BIG championship game while Wisconsin was being pounded, the commentators were crying for Wisconsin not to be excluded from the Rose Bowl. Them winning the BIG West was described as an important factor, but a few years earlier our winning the BIG outright was meaningless. I humbly suggest that the fix was in.
As long as OSU and UM are 1 and 1A, and Barry at Wisconsin is clearly number 2 we’re at a disadvantage.
Should the three way tie happen with us beating both OSU and UM, don’t be shocked if the new overriding selection criteria is “Longevity of Excellence” or “Recent playoff experience” was the deciding factor”.
If there's a 2 or 3 team tie in the east, the rules are black and white for determining who goes to the championship. Plain and simple. Nothing you posted has anything to do with conference tiebreaking scenarios. Bowl and playoff selections are more subjective and not the subject of the OP's question.

Reactions: summitlion1
If there's a 2 or 3 team tie in the east, the rules are black and white for determining who goes to the championship. Plain and simple. Nothing you posted has anything to do with conference tiebreaking scenarios. Bowl and playoff selections are more subjective and not the subject of the OP's question.
Believe what you choose, I know the rules are there. I’m not here to argue. Personally I just don’t trust the suits at BIG headquarters if OSU or UM put on full quart press regarding a play off entry. All the “rules” regarding College Football today appear to be less written in stone than in sand. If the situation arises I hope you’re right, but I’m not placing any money on it.

The goal is to make the playoff...at 11-1 do we even want to play in the title game? Depends on how many P5 others teams are undefeated or 11-1 honestly.

They don’t have to be a comedian. PSU can win the Big Ten and not go to the playoffs.
On the list of things I'd worry about....PSU winning the Big Ten but being shut out of the playoffs isn't even on my top 1000. The only time to be concerned with this would be after winning the conference.

Yep, take care of business with every game. Very few gimmies.
I guess one doesn't need to worry about any game but OSU and UM. Especially since many here have their response to a loss in the other games prepared.....it's Franklin's fault! LOL

Franklin has to go 12-0 this year. It is his best chance to date
That would be incredible. IIRC Joe had 5 unbeaten seasons. Do you know how difficult that is?

This year PSU plays preseason #2 and #4. WVA, ILL, IA, MD, and MSU aren't gimmies. IMO everything has to fall perfectly into place for that to happen:
  • Allar lives up to his 5* ranking from day 1
  • Old Dominion transfer Ford has to be a top 10 interior lineman (or 2 of Beamon, Ellie, Izzard, Durant have to make huge leaps forward)
  • Kent State transfer Cephas has to be a top 5 WR in the BiG (and at least 1 of Wallace, Evans, Smith, Saunders have to make a huge leap forward)
  • Punter and Place Kicker positions have to be resolved favorably
  • No injuries to key personnel

Between psu, mich. And osu, all at 11-1, who goes to the championship game? If all three lost to one another?

I believe that it's psu since they are the team with the longest period Between title games?
The BIG chiefs would decide that the winner of OS - Mich would go to the title game.

So I got this: winning percentage of all non divisional opponents...so basically root for every non division team we beat to win their other games.
This is correct and likely won't work out in PSU's favor.

The next question is: does an 11-1 PSU get into the playoff? Which scenario makes that most likely:

a) East champ (OSU or UM) loses in CCCG and has two loses
b) The team PSU lost to (say OSU) wins CCG (so PSU's only loss is to CC)
c) A team PSU beat (say UM) wins the CCG (so PSU beat the CC on the field).

The next question is: does an 11-1 PSU get into the playoff? Which scenario makes that most likely:

The key is how many SEC schools have 1 loss or less. If only 1 we'll be fine unless someone else runs the table like USC.

The key is how many SEC schools have 1 loss or less. If only 1 we'll be fine unless someone else runs the table like USC.
I don't think 3 Big Ten teams are getting in and you could have three with only one loss post CCG. So I think only the CC and one other get in.

I don't think 3 Big Ten teams are getting in and you could have three with only one loss post CCG. So I think only the CC and one other get in.
The Big Ten or SEC getting 3 in the final year of an ill-conceived 4 team playoff is very possible IMO. Probably both get 2.

The potential three way 1-loss scenario PSU doesn’t want is tOSU is the other 1-loss team that doesn’t play in the CCG.

Not good odds if tOSU has a win against ND.

It depends on what the rest of the top teams do, especially those outside of the conference. If the Big 10 has two teams with 1 loss from the east, one winning the conference and the other who's only loss is a close game to the conference champ, both would be deserving. But if there are lots of other undefeated or one loss teams in other conferences then nothing is guaranteed. This is what's frustrating about the subjectivity, a team could have a tremendous season and it could be relatively meaningless because of the dog and pony show. For example, if we find ourselves in a situation where we are fighting with Georgia for the final playoff spot, Georgia will get it because they've been the #1 team the last 2 seasons, and it would be more of a multi-year team quality consideration, which is a completely irrelevant data point in college football where schedules and rosters can vary a ton from year to year. Georgia has one of the easiest schedules in the country this year. If they are in a tie with someone, they should be ranked lower because of their cake walk schedule, but we all know they won't be because the committee does a horrible job at considering strength of schedule when comparing teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT