ADVERTISEMENT

Help understanding the 6th 3 Way Tie Breaker

Beaver-Stadium

Sep 17, 2017
Can I ask for help better understanding how this tie breaker would work ?

Thank you

6. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared against the highest placed non-divisional teams in their division order of finish (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7).

(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.

(b) When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the record will prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e. 1-0 is better than 0-0, 2-0 is better than 1-0, etc.)

Penn State played Illinois, Iowa and Northwestern
Ohio State plays Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota
Minnesota plays Nebraska, Minnesota and Purdue

The best overall record of the 3 teams in conference play would determine the winner of the division
Basically--root for who we played and against the other 4 teams.

Penn State played Illinois, Iowa and Northwestern
Ohio State plays Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota
Minnesota plays Nebraska, Minnesota and Purdue

The best overall record of the 3 teams in conference play would determine the winner of the division
Basically--root for who we played and against the other 4 teams.
What your talking about I think is #5

5. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on the best cumulative conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents.

(a) Example: East 1 non-divisional opponents are 20-7, East 2 non-divisional opponents are 19-8, East 3 non-divisional opponents are 14-13 – East 1 would be the representative.

6 what i posted is if there is still some tied with each of those teams win totals

Agree you are bringing up the next step down from the more popularly discussed combined record of other division opponents.

My first thought was it meant start comparing to the first place team in the next division, and if still all tied, move down the list team by team accordingly. Basically, this year with UW, NU, and Iowa could theoretically make the decision easy.

But, it’s use of plural words does leave the question of what are the specifically using. The plural could just be meant to account for if two teams are tied for the same position in the other division record wise. Maybe this tiebreaker doesn’t consider the tiebreaker for the teams in the other division. They could have used better wording.

Let's first beat Maryland. Then somehow, some way beat Michigan. After that we can all start thinking about the excruciating detail of tiebreaker #6 which to me if you are down to that, it is kind of a joke. Just flip a coin, arm wrestle whatever.

Agree you are bringing up the next step down from the more popularly discussed combined record of other division opponents.

My first thought was it meant start comparing to the first place team in the next division, and if still all tied, move down the list team by team accordingly. Basically, this year with UW, NU, and Iowa could theoretically make the decision easy.

But, it’s use of plural words does leave the question of what are the specifically using. The plural could just be meant to account for if two teams are tied for the same position in the other division record wise. Maybe this tiebreaker doesn’t consider the tiebreaker for the teams in the other division. They could have used better wording.

So if they all finished tied is the "division order of finish" dictated by another set of tiebreakers in order to determine who is 1,2,3?

It seems like if you ended up in a 3 way tie in both divisions, where the 3 teams split the h2h, then it seems like you could theoretically get stuck in a loop on this tiebreaker where you can't determine the order of finish for either division because each requires an order of finish from the other division to sort out their own order of finish.

I don't think it's possible this year in the west given how the H2Hs would have to break but that'd be fun.

Big Ten tie breaker is Herbie saying that the Buckeyes meet the eye test.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT