ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Clifford looking sharp in his NFL debut

Just tuned in. He's thrown some good balls. Quick, decisive. Windows are smaller in the NFL. His last INT was a lack of JUST having that extra zip on the ball.

TD drive here looks great. Dart to the rookie Wicks. Scramble for 1st down. TD to TE, all under a minute.

I think the assessment here has been kind. He's been okay tonight. Shows he belongs in the league but far from good. Too many mistakes. Understandable for a rookie but some of its been rough.

Still better than Stroud looked yesterday though so that's a win.

He also looks better than Tampa's QBs so another win.

I think the assessment here has been kind. He's been okay tonight. Shows he belongs in the league but far from good. Too many mistakes. Understandable for a rookie but some of its been rough.

Still better than Stroud looked yesterday though so that's a win.

He also looks better than Tampa's QBs so another win.
Agreed. Mistakes are expected at this point for him. But there looks to be a lot of upside with him too.

He looks much stronger, arm strength, than he did except in the rose bowl. Good for him
I think he played much of his PSU career not confident in his line or running backs, hurt, or all three. I'm still not sure about his ability to consistently connect on the long ball. Maybe with better coaching and not having to be the man in the pros he'll polish what he needs to. He is a competitor. Prior to his injury at Iowa a few years back, he looked the part. Will be an interesting story to follow.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Sean is a terrific quarterback, and I won't be surprised if he does well in the NFL. If he would have been at OSU or Alabama, he'd have been drafted last year. As mentioned above, supporting cast, especially WR and OL, goes a long way in a QB's success.

Sean is a terrific quarterback, and I won't be surprised if he does well in the NFL. If he would have been at OSU or Alabama, he'd have been drafted last year. As mentioned above, supporting cast, especially WR and OL, goes a long way in a QB's success.

I think that playing on the super teams in college is detrimental to QBs jumping from college to pros, as far as being prepared to deal with the speed of the game. Being able to adjust to being harassed 50% or more of every snap, and taking 5+ hits per game for 17 weeks is a world of difference where as Bama and OSU QBs have stood in clean pockets, guarded by 3-5 future NFL OLs, handing off or throwing to future NFL skill players while playing against, on average, 2 NFL quality defenders per game on college defenses.

Now I'm also not going to discount that playing QB on a super team will get you drafted. Does any other school have more QBs drafted in the past 5-10 years than Bama and OSU? And to be a bust, you have to get drafted. Still, predicting QB success from college to pros is just not an easy thing done.

As for Clifford, he's dealt with adversity. He had decent OLs and RBs twice ('19, '22) and what do you know, his team won double digit games those years. He's also played hurt, he's ran for his life, he's had some major meltdown, cost-you-the-game type plays and didn't fall off the earth or develop any bad habits (that's reared yet).

A fine representative of the university and I'd say by the time week 1 of preseason is over his stat line will be top 3 of the week.

Very good debut! Looked in charge and played with poise. Didn’t look like the situation was bigger than he could handle. He’s an injury away from being the starter and looked the part in his first real test.

Sean's HS career showed a gutsy leader who won a state championship with a less than great team. He showed great leadership. He has not shown that in his biggest challenges at Penn State. He made more mistakes in clutch situations than cluth plays against UM & OSU. I hope he rediscovers that poise under fire. He showed it in the Rose Bowl.

All eyes are on Drew Allar to be the difference on beating the big 2.

Reactions: lazydave841
Sean's HS career showed a gutsy leader who won a state championship with a less than great team. He showed great leadership. He has not shown that in his biggest challenges at Penn State. He made more mistakes in clutch situations than cluth plays against UM & OSU. I hope he rediscovers that poise under fire. He showed it in the Rose Bowl.

All eyes are on Drew Allar to be the difference on beating the big 2.
He helped win the championship with a broken shoulder!

His, and McSorley’s Achilles heel has been exactly that. I am reminded of losses against usc , Pitt, Indiana and tOSU due to untimely interceptions because the ball was forced. A lot of that is experience.

SC played really well and will get better. But the NFL won’t overlook INTs like can be done in college ball

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
2 ints, incl a pick 6 is good?
He had over 200 yards passing in one half of play. His throws were tight and strong. He created time in the pocket and ran effectively.

His INTs were when he forced the ball under pressure. He lost patience. He may have been able to get away with that in college but players are too good in the nfl.

While he threw some bad INTs in college, those mistakes are correctable. The announcers were effusive.

Reactions: lazydave841
Why wouldn't you? He didn't leave on bad terms. He left to play as he wasn't going to here. Why would anyone be upset about that? It proves you don't care about the kids...you only care about the program.
I care about the guys who stay. He left, so why should anyone root for him? Should we have rooted for Silas Redd? How about Justin Fields because he committed to us then decommited? Every player certainly has the right to do what they want, but that doesn’t mean we have to root for them if they leave. It’s actually better for a program if a player sticks with it, gets playing time and still makes the NFL (like Miles Sanders). Players leaving without fighting for playing time makes it look to younger players like that’s the best way to handle the situation.

I care about the guys who stay. He left, so why should anyone root for him? Should we have rooted for Silas Redd? How about Justin Fields because he committed to us then decommited? Every player certainly has the right to do what they want, but that doesn’t mean we have to root for them if they leave. It’s actually better for a program if a player sticks with it, gets playing time and still makes the NFL (like Miles Sanders). Players leaving without fighting for playing time makes it look to younger players like that’s the best way to handle the situation.
Yes we should have rooted for Redd as long as he didn't play us. Not Fields as he never enrolled. Levis did fight...lost and understandably left. His job isn't to set an example. He did everything asked of him. Your response proves my point...you don't care about the kids...just the problem.

HOF QB’s have two INT games and this was Clifford’s first outing.
Against backups and he didn't play the whole game or there may have been more picks. He showed promise but posts like this are overselling what he did yesterday. He was good but there's reason to have optimism.

Yes we should have rooted for Redd as long as he didn't play us. Not Fields as he never enrolled. Levis did fight...lost and understandably left. His job isn't to set an example. He did everything asked of him. Your response proves my point...you don't care about the kids...just the problem.
I care about the kids in the program. I have no responsibility to care about kids in other programs. Just like I want players who play for my favorite pro teams to do well, but if they leave, I don’t root for them anymore. Levis is a Kentucky grad and I really don’t care how Kentucky grads do in the NFL.

Against backups and he didn't play the whole game or there may have been more picks. He showed promise but posts like this are overselling what he did yesterday. He was good but there's reason to have optimism.
Or there may have been more TD’s and more yards. I’m not overselling anything, it was his first game. I just don’t think someone should disregard his whole performance based on two INT’s when the best QB’s in the world have thrown two INT’s or more in games frequently.

Reactions: 00southpaw
He had over 200 yards passing in one half of play. His throws were tight and strong. He created time in the pocket and ran effectively.

His INTs were when he forced the ball under pressure. He lost patience. He may have been able to get away with that in college but players are too good in the nfl.

While he threw some bad INTs in college, those mistakes are correctable. The announcers were effusive.
2 picks and a pick 6 is bad, I dont care how good the rest of the game was.

I care about the kids in the program. I have no responsibility to care about kids in other programs. Just like I want players who play for my favorite pro teams to do well, but if they leave, I don’t root for them anymore. Levis is a Kentucky grad and I really don’t care how Kentucky grads do in the NFL.
That attended and graduated from Penn State...its okay to admit you don't care about the players. Can't wait to see what your next foolish argument is.

Last edited:
Or there may have been more TD’s and more yards. I’m not overselling anything, it was his first game. I just don’t think someone should disregard his whole performance based on two INT’s when the best QB’s in the world have thrown two INT’s or more in games frequently.
There good have been more TDs but if you actually watched the game you'd know he struggled more than the stats indicate. He wasn't good but flashed potential.

Didn't levis graduate from penn state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT