ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Clifford looking sharp in his NFL debut

Even the Packers bring in a veteran it's not a negative about Clifford. Just how most teams operate. Very rarely without a veteran QB as your starter as you going to have all unproven guys.

My guess would be they cut McGough at the end of camp if they can find a reliable experienced QB that fits their system. Lots will be available as rosters are trimmed, a lot cut because of salary cap issues.

If they can’t find a decent backup at a low price they will just stick with three they have.
Yeah its just probably going to depend on the fact of them being anle to sign a veteren, but there's lots of veteren backups around the league hanging around so I expect them to be able to sign one.

I’ll watch out for it, but don’t expect it. The QB going thru camp and preseason, learning the playbook and taking game snaps has the upper hand by far over someone else’s cut 3rd or 4th stringer.
At the very least they'll bring in a vet as their third guy. You can go into a season with an unknown starting QB, a late round rookie as your backup and then a guy that was in the XFL recently. Depends who is on the market but I can't see them not having a vet. They aren't trying to finish last like the Cards or anything.

You may not be a genius, but you are an a-hole, so you've got that going for you.
Lighten up nappy. I simply made a post that you pounced on with misinformation and then doubled down on your buffoonery. You added namecalling thinking it made your retort accurate. Now you resort to taking your ball and going home.
You're either a child or a liberal, so I understand your frustration.

Btw: Clifford is Awesome!

Lighten up nappy. I simply made a post that you pounced on with misinformation and then doubled down on your buffoonery. You added namecalling thinking it made your retort accurate. Now you resort to taking your ball and going home.
You're either a child or a liberal, so I understand your frustration.

Btw: Clifford is Awesome!
Why don't you go look at the sequence of posts that of you being a complete a-hole above and try to understand why you're an a-hole. Take a look at who you were responding to in those posts. Don't bother responding to me since you will be on ignore as soon as I post this reply.

He was good for us but not good enough to get us to the playoff. If you look at his career can I blame him for the '19 Minny loss, prob not. But he could never come up big vs OSU in Columbus, '19 or '21. Just not good enough. '20 was a joke but we can probably give him a pass. He looked good in '21 until the injury. '22 he was good but again not good enough. He almost was the goat of the Purdue game until he pulled it out on the final drive. But '22 kind of sums up his career at PSU, wins games but can't get it done in the biggest games (OSU and Mich). I realize he is not the one or only player to blame for those losses but as a QB you have to be able to lead the team to a big win and he never did that. Again the Cotton Bowl and Rose Bowl wins were nice but we all were hoping for a playoff berth at some point.
the 2022 OSU and UM games were more about out lack of receiver talent, offensive line plan and inability to stop the UM run game. His numbers speak for themselves. He was underappreciated. Hopefully, Allar can live up to your expectations but I doubt it.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
To put his performance in perspective, on a weekend when the NFL teams played mostly backups and rookies at QB, he did as well as anyone including 4 heralded high drafted QBs. Only seven #1’s played briefly.

He threw for the most yards and had a 80 rating despite throwing 2 picks and wasn’t sacked once. Kid had a pretty good debut! Admit it… he will be their #2.
For the Blogy not happy. Maybe they can do another video critiquing his NFL performance to get in a few more cheap shots?

Why don't you go look at the sequence of posts that of you being a complete a-hole above and try to understand why you're an a-hole. Take a look at who you were responding to in those posts. Don't bother responding to me since you will be on ignore as soon as I post this reply.
Nap, my sincerest apologies. You are correct. My snarky responses were misdirected at you. Again, I apologize.

Just so you know, southpaw apologized.

Reactions: Agoodnap
Some love for Clifford from CBS--all comes down the whether or not he can limit turnovers.

Sean Clifford is clearly the Packers' QB2​

Overreaction or reality: Reality

Clifford was a controversial selection in the fifth round of the 2023 NFL Draft -- he's older than Jordan Love and wasn't expected to go that high in a draft that saw a record 14 quarterbacks get taken. The Packers now look pretty wise selecting him based off his preseason debut, as he threw for 192 yards in the first half -- finishing 20 of 26 for 208 yards with a touchdown.

The gunslinger mentality worked well for Clifford at times, but he did throw two interceptions (one was returned for a touchdown). He completed three passes of 25-plus yards, but two of his six incompletions were interceptions.

Clifford clearly has the mentality of a No. 2 quarterback, and the skill set to kept Green Bay afloat should Jordan Love ever have to miss a game. If he cuts down on the reckless mistakes, Clifford could be one of the best backups in the NFL.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
the 2022 OSU and UM games were more about out lack of receiver talent, offensive line plan and inability to stop the UM run game. His numbers speak for themselves. He was underappreciated. Hopefully, Allar can live up to your expectations but I doubt it.
Wrs weren't amazing but Clifford is limited. We'll agree to disagree on him.

When you wrote last year probably 99% of people will take that to mean the last draft. This is one of the worst attempted cover ups for you apparently not being aware he was drafted.
You are replying to the wrong person.

I was wrong that you didn't say it but you defended it--or at least that's the logical interpretation of your reply.
Lando, I knew exactly when Sean was drafted. I watched the video of his reaction several times. As a psu fan, you'd have to have been under a rock to not know he got drafted.

I was wrong that you didn't say it but you defended it--or at least that's the logical interpretation of your reply.

I only stated (in my reply to CJFisJoePaII) that Cliff was not drafted last year. That is a fact.
Now, if he meant “drafted out of last season’s draftable players”, then he did a poor job of wording it, and should’ve simply owned up to butchering his own message and moved on.

I only stated (in my reply to CJFisJoePaII) that Cliff was not drafted last year. That is a fact.
Now, if he meant “drafted out of last season’s draftable players”, then he did a poor job of wording it, and should’ve simply owned up to butchering his own message and moved on.
Come on now guys, I didn't intend to start a civil war amongst us.
2023 = this year
2022 = last year
My point was to simply imply that Sean was a darn good QB at Penn State. I apologize for all the ensuing carnage after my initial post.

WTF are you talking about??? The OP did the butchering dipstick - he clearly tried to say that Clifford was not DRAFTED. Your defense of the "wasn't drafted last year" is laughable as any reasonable person would interpret that to mean from last year's college player's which are this year's Draft Class. It's rather inane to make the distinction that he wasn't drafted in the 2022 NFL Draft when Clifford made himself ineligible for the 2022 Draft so it was f'ing IMPOSSIBLE for him to be drafted in the 2022 NFL Draft genius! The OP CLEARLY attempted to imply that Clifford WAS NOT DRAFTED which is UTTERLY FALSE - Clifford was DRAFTED in the 5th Round of the first NFL Draft he made himself eligible for.

WTF are you talking about??? The OP did the butchering dipstick - he clearly tried to say that Clifford was not DRAFTED. Your defense of the "wasn't drafted last year" is laughable as any reasonable person would interpret that to mean from last year's college player's which are this year's Draft Class. It's rather inane to make the distinction that he wasn't drafted in the 2022 NFL Draft when Clifford made himself ineligible for the 2022 Draft so it was f'ing IMPOSSIBLE for him to be drafted in the 2022 NFL Draft genius! The OP CLEARLY attempted to imply that Clifford WAS NOT DRAFTED which is UTTERLY FALSE - Clifford was DRAFTED in the 5th Round of the first NFL Draft he made himself eligible for.
This is disingenuous at best. He didn’t try to say that Cliff was never drafted. You are doing a lot of dancing with your words here and getting nowhere.
On the surface, when looking back at his original post of “If he would have been at OSU or Alabama, he'd have been drafted last year”, I could possibly see where you got confused. Where you may have read his comment like this, “If he would have been at OSU or Alabama, he'd have been drafted last year.” Where as I read it like this, “If he would have been at OSU or Alabama, he'd have been drafted last year.” It all depends on where you place the emphasis.
But if you look at his replies, it is very clear he meant to emphasize LAST YEAR and not DRAFTED. But either way, we cannot assume emphasis and must simply look at the words as they are written. He meant that Cliff wasn’t drafted LAST YEAR.
Then you get caught up in a word salad of trying to prove your point while all you really accomplished was confirming his point. Congrats.

This is disingenuous at best. He didn’t try to say that Cliff was never drafted. You are doing a lot of dancing with your words here and getting nowhere.
On the surface, when looking back at his original post of “If he would have been at OSU or Alabama, he'd have been drafted last year”, I could possibly see where you got confused. Where you may have read his comment like this, “If he would have been at OSU or Alabama, he'd have been drafted last year.” Where as I read it like this, “If he would have been at OSU or Alabama, he'd have been drafted last year.” It all depends on where you place the emphasis.
But if you look at his replies, it is very clear he meant to emphasize LAST YEAR and not DRAFTED. But either way, we cannot assume emphasis and must simply look at the words as they are written. He meant that Cliff wasn’t drafted LAST YEAR.
Then you get caught up in a word salad of trying to prove your point while all you really accomplished was confirming his point. Congrats.
9 out of 10 people are going to take last year to mean the 2023 draft. I don't believe he recalled he was drafted. I'll concede he did for sake of moving on but that was horribly worded. If you go up to Penn State fans and ask "was Sean Clifford drafted last year?" do you think anyone says no that knows he was drafted?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT