ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Clifford looking sharp in his NFL debut

I think Redd and Levis are 2 different situations, but anyone is free to cheer how they see fit. Or jeer.

Redd. I get why he left, but with the players who stayed and persevered, it leaves a sour taste in one's mouth.

Levis. Just the nature of the current game. Graduated, so he fulfilled his obligation.

What they do in the NFL is irrelevant to Penn State now. We are here to get them drafted. NFL success is equal parts on them and the situation they were drafted into. I'd be glad to see both have multi year careers and eventual starters, but would be remiss to say that I'd prefer Clifford be more successful of the 2.

I think Redd and Levis are 2 different situations, but anyone is free to cheer how they see fit. Or jeer.

Redd. I get why he left, but with the players who stayed and persevered, it leaves a sour taste in one's mouth.

Levis. Just the nature of the current game. Graduated, so he fulfilled his obligation.

What they do in the NFL is irrelevant to Penn State now. We are here to get them drafted. NFL success is equal parts on them and the situation they were drafted into. I'd be glad to see both have multi year careers and eventual starters, but would be remiss to say that I'd prefer Clifford be more successful of the 2.
Right. Plus, CJF was never going to start Levis over Clifford. Be that right or wrong. He was smart to leave and it worked out. He got drafted and will make several million if he’sa bust or not.

That attended and graduated from Penn State...its okay to admit you don't care about the players. Can't wait to see what your next foolish argument is.
Says the king of foolish arguments. It’s okay for you to admit you’re not a Penn State fan, but you never do.

And both certainly had a right to leave and I don’t disagree with that. I just don’t see why certain posters feel we as a fan base need to root for guys that leave the program.

Reactions: lazydave841
He did but @AWS1022 doesn't actually follow the players or care about them. Only the uniform they wear.
I’m quite sure I watched more Levis games than you did. However, I don’t know him, have never met him, so I’m not sure why you feel I should be obligated to root for him.

Says the king of foolish arguments. It’s okay for you to admit you’re not a Penn State fan, but you never do.
Why are you engaging in an argument with the moronic troll? Everyone else in this thread is doing an excellent job of ignoring his nonsense? Eventually he’ll get the hint and disappear if we all do it.

• Haha
You're correct, but that doesn't mean the overall performance was bad. He did way more good things than bad in his first NFL game.

If that was a superbowl game, he's probably MVP.
mvp was

I have no hate towards Levis, but I would root against Redd if he were still in the league. Totally different situations.

He had over 200 yards passing in one half of play. His throws were tight and strong. He created time in the pocket and ran effectively.

His INTs were when he forced the ball under pressure. He lost patience. He may have been able to get away with that in college ......
He didn't get away with it in college. He lost some big games that were winnable if he had played with more consistency. I love the guy, but if he was more disciplined and consistent PSU probably would have been a playoff team during his time at PSU.

Throwing a pick-six in an NFL debut is certainly something that has happened to a lot of QBs but catastrophic lapses of concentration/discipline have kind of been Sean's bugaboo and it may be something he just can't overcome. He gets emotional and forces things sometimes, and you really can't do that very much and be an NFL QB.

Sean is a terrific quarterback, and I won't be surprised if he does well in the NFL. If he would have been at OSU or Alabama, he'd have been drafted last year. As mentioned above, supporting cast, especially WR and OL, goes a long way in a QB's success.

Ummmm, he WAS drafted last year.

Reactions: mcpat
He didn't get away with it in college. He lost some big games that were winnable if he had played with more consistency. I love the guy, but if he was more disciplined and consistent PSU probably would have been a playoff team during his time at PSU.

Throwing a pick-six in an NFL debut is certainly something that has happened to a lot of QBs but catastrophic lapses of concentration/discipline have kind of been Sean's bugaboo and it may be something he just can't overcome. He gets emotional and forces things sometimes, and you really can't do that very much and be an NFL QB.
He was good for us but not good enough to get us to the playoff. If you look at his career can I blame him for the '19 Minny loss, prob not. But he could never come up big vs OSU in Columbus, '19 or '21. Just not good enough. '20 was a joke but we can probably give him a pass. He looked good in '21 until the injury. '22 he was good but again not good enough. He almost was the goat of the Purdue game until he pulled it out on the final drive. But '22 kind of sums up his career at PSU, wins games but can't get it done in the biggest games (OSU and Mich). I realize he is not the one or only player to blame for those losses but as a QB you have to be able to lead the team to a big win and he never did that. Again the Cotton Bowl and Rose Bowl wins were nice but we all were hoping for a playoff berth at some point.

I think that playing on the super teams in college is detrimental to QBs jumping from college to pros, as far as being prepared to deal with the speed of the game. Being able to adjust to being harassed 50% or more of every snap, and taking 5+ hits per game for 17 weeks is a world of difference where as Bama and OSU QBs have stood in clean pockets, guarded by 3-5 future NFL OLs, handing off or throwing to future NFL skill players while playing against, on average, 2 NFL quality defenders per game on college defenses.

Now I'm also not going to discount that playing QB on a super team will get you drafted. Does any other school have more QBs drafted in the past 5-10 years than Bama and OSU? And to be a bust, you have to get drafted. Still, predicting QB success from college to pros is just not an easy thing done.

As for Clifford, he's dealt with adversity. He had decent OLs and RBs twice ('19, '22) and what do you know, his team won double digit games those years. He's also played hurt, he's ran for his life, he's had some major meltdown, cost-you-the-game type plays and didn't fall off the earth or develop any bad habits (that's reared yet).

A fine representative of the university and I'd say by the time week 1 of preseason is over his stat line will be top 3 of the week.
Your 1st paragraph nails it - it’s pretty much the Ken Dorsey story.

Interesting. What date was he drafted?

Are you talking about being drafted from last year's college class or not?

BTW, he announced he was coming back for his last year of eligibility so he wasn't eligible for last year's draft genius.

Are you talking about being drafted from last year's college class or not?

BTW, he announced he was coming back for his last year of eligibility so he wasn't eligible for last year's draft genius.
Like I said, if he played for OU or AL, he would have been drafted last year (2022 NFL draft) He would have had no reason to come back because his stock would have been strong enough to enter the draft.

Simple to understand really. Im not a genius, you're just a dunce.

Like I said, if he played for OU or AL, he would have been drafted last year (2022 NFL draft) He would have had no reason to come back because his stock would have been strong enough to enter the draft.

You may not be a genius, but you are an a-hole, so you've got that going for you.

You're such a dumbass - how in the hell do you know he wouldn't have been drafted last year if he'd made himself draft-eligible (he IN FACT did the diametric opposite and made himself ineligible for the draft last year by declaring that he was coming back for his last year of eligibility.). He was drafted when eligible for the draft when loudmouth dipshits like yourself said he would not be. So again, you stupid moron, it was IMPOSSIBLE for him to be drafted in last year's draft as he made himself ineligible for the draft and was not a draftable player.

You clearly wrote your statement to make it sound like he was not drafted when he was an eligible, draftable player, which is UTTTERLY FALSE. Clifford was DRAFTED in the 5th Round of the first NFL Draft he made himself ELIGIBLE FOR.

Reactions: Agoodnap

He played that entire season banged up and practically in a wheelchair. He came back to show what he can do healthy and really helped himself. Smart move.

Ummmm, no he wasn’t. Sorry to burst your bubble, but he was just drafted a little over 3 months ago.

When you wrote last year probably 99% of people will take that to mean the last draft. This is one of the worst attempted cover ups for you apparently not being aware he was drafted.

To put his performance in perspective, on a weekend when the NFL teams played mostly backups and rookies at QB, he did as well as anyone including 4 heralded high drafted QBs. Only seven #1’s played briefly.

He threw for the most yards and had a 80 rating despite throwing 2 picks and wasn’t sacked once. Kid had a pretty good debut! Admit it… he will be their #2.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
To put his performance in perspective, on a weekend when the NFL teams played mostly backups and rookies at QB, he did as well as anyone including 4 heralded high drafted QBs. Only seven #1’s played briefly.

He threw for the most yards and had a 80 rating despite throwing 2 picks and wasn’t sacked once. Kid had a pretty good debut! Admit it… he will be their #2.

NFL Rookie Watch agrees:

??? They already cut their 4th QB. All the reports from camp are raving about Sean and the 3rd QB only got mop up duty and no passes. He’s going to be the backup. Already listed as #2.

No doubt, some of the fake PSU-fan poser-trolls are beyond amusing.... All of the Packer, and NFL, media are raving about his performance, but not here - they're busy denigrating him... [insert eyeroll]. They're big PSU fans, don't you know....

Reactions: mcpat
??? They already cut their 4th QB. All the reports from camp are raving about Sean and the 3rd QB only got mop up duty and no passes. He’s going to be the backup. Already listed as #2.
He's likely going to be the backup--just depends on who gets cuts and if they decide they want a veteran with Love also being relatively experiened.

He's likely going to be the backup--just depends on who gets cuts and if they decide they want a veteran with Love also being relatively experiened.

Who gets cut??? The Packers already cut a QB (Danny Etling) and only have 3 on their current roster. Doubtful that they're going to cut another QB and only go with 2 during the season - Depth Chart has it Love, Clifford, McGough and that is probably what they're going with.

Who gets cut??? The Packers already cut a QB (Danny Etling) and only have 3 on their current roster. Doubtful that they're going to cut another QB and only go with 2 during the season - Depth Chart has it Love, Clifford, McGough and that is probably what they're going with.
My guess would be they cut McGough at the end of camp if they can find a reliable experienced QB that fits their system. Lots will be available as rosters are trimmed, a lot cut because of salary cap issues.

If they can’t find a decent backup at a low price they will just stick with three they have.

McGough is far from a lock to make the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT