ADVERTISEMENT

Scrapple! Let's give credit where credit is due! (HINT) East side of the state.

I have never heard of putting maple syrup on scrapple; when I was growing up in Philadelphia we fried it and simply ate it.

I never had it that way when I was growing up. I'm pretty sure that the first time I had it was more of an accident, where I had pancakes with scrapple. It was interesting that the scrapple taste still came through the syrup.

In an earlier post, I should have been a bit clearer about maple syrup and scrapple. I only eat it that way if I'm having scrapple with pancakes or with french toast. However, I've found that when I serve it to friends, especially those that have heard about scrapple and have preconceived negative thoughts about it, a small amount of maple syrup can help to get them past their biases. Hence my recommendation to CF that he put a little syrup on his eggs and scrapple breakfast.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Unfortunately the era of high carbohydrate addictions and afflictions, is now known for feeding the epidemics of Obesity, Heart Disease, pre-Diabetes and pre-Cancerous conditions, among other major diseases.

Wish it wasn't that way for items that taste so good and can be remembered fondly as comfort foods.

Back when I would eat king syrup on everything, I was growing up on a dairy farm. Eat what you want, because it gets burned off anyway. At least that's how I thought in the early 90s. Now everything causes cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Life was so much better when I was young and didn't even think about living to my 70s. Now I have a kid and a wife and I have to make healthy choices to hang around long enough for my kid to have to take care of me.

I hate getting older....

Reactions: T J and TheGLOV
My mother was quite a baker, and we always had a this stuff around......it is what I put on pancakes when I was a kid......pretty disgusting when I think about it now....

a9b0f34a2b576509432ddbabd8b0cb67.jpg

Reactions: CF LION and TheGLOV
Grew up a Karo man. My mom grew up on farm got use to many food items. Nothing ever went to waste. My kids freak out on some of the things I used to eat. Miss my moms cooking

Reactions: LionJim and T J
I love scrapple, a little crispy with home fries w/peppers & onions, eggs over easy...

The old timers were a different breed. TOUGH. my Pap used to brush his teeth with baking soda. Not baking soda toothpaste, he'd dip his toothbrush (stiff bristled of course) into a box of baking soda and go to town. He also LOVED the "skin" of hog maw. the man was as tough as they come, may he rest in peace

Love Hog Maw we called it Pig Belly. Theres a grocery store in Chambersburg that sells hog maw in their hot made foods section. I think it is pretty good nit quite as good as moms but definitely does the trick.
We used to eat puddin alot as a kid, cant even think about that mow. Used to love crracklings after butchering day. Dont think i could do that anymore either

Reactions: nittanyfan333
Love Hog Maw we called it Pig Belly. Theres a grocery store in Chambersburg that sells hog maw in their hot made foods section. I think it is pretty good nit quite as good as moms but definitely does the trick.
We used to eat puddin alot as a kid, cant even think about that mow. Used to love crracklings after butchering day. Dont think i could do that anymore either

YES! Slathered on top of some pancakes with some syrup... mmmmmmm been a while since i've had some pig puddin. My uncle sent me home after hunting season with some a few years ago from a hog they butchered. I cooked it with pancakes, and told my wife about it after she ate it. she was PISSED. said I should have told her what it came from BEFORE she ate it.

I think if my Gam saw me eating hog maw from a grocery store, she'd shake her head and walk away.

Hog maw, puddin, cracklings......good lord. Pennsylvania’s finest haute cuisine.

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT