ADVERTISEMENT

Scrapple! Let's give credit where credit is due! (HINT) East side of the state.

I agree with Wilbury above...used to have to spit out big chunks of gristle and veins from Pap's scrapple. It tasted better than this commercial stuff, but it was rough stuff. They just didn't have the quality grinders and filters used by the commercial plants.

But, I still love the stuff. Slice it thin, coat it with some corn meal, fry it in veggie oil, serve with Log Cabin syrup. I'll destroy that stuff. Can't eat it like Pap did...cold, thick slice between two pieces of white bread with yellow mustard. I'm not hard core enough for that.

Being from western PA, the first time I ever had scrapple was at PSU. Couldn't understand why all the eastern PA kids loved it. Hated it then, hate it now.

I was born and raised in western PA - never heard of scrapple then. When I got to UP for my freshman year I saw scrapple on the menu for Sunday brunch. My eastern PA friends said it was good stuff so I tried some. Gag. I'm sure it wasn't genuine eastern PA scrapple but still. Gag!! I guess being from a small town can limit a person's food knowledge. Also on the Sunday brunch menu were cheese blintzes. I never even tried those since the name alone sounded gross. My scrapple experience also made me suspicious of unknown foods. On the bright side, getting to UP opened up the world of the chicken cosmo to me.

Reactions: Cosmos
I helped make scrapple, when I worked at a local grocery store years ago. We put nothing " bad " in the recipe, mostly pork, hearts and liver. Meats are cooked, ground and added to a seasoned brine. Then some cornmeal, but mostly buckwheat is added till it thickens. Nothing more than a meat flavored polenta. And yes, I do like it, with syrup or ketchup. It is a unique flavor which you either like or don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV and garw
I was born and raised in western PA - never heard of scrapple then. When I got to UP for my freshman year I saw scrapple on the menu for Sunday brunch. My eastern PA friends said it was good stuff so I tried some. Gag. I'm sure it wasn't genuine eastern PA scrapple but still. Gag!! I guess being from a small town can limit a person's food knowledge. Also on the Sunday brunch menu were cheese blintzes. I never even tried those since the name alone sounded gross. My scrapple experience also made me suspicious of unknown foods. On the bright side, getting to UP opened up the world of the chicken cosmo to me.

Yeah, a blitz is much more appetizing when it's called a crepe.

There is real scrapple made at butcherings and there is the imitation crap.
Penns Valley Meat Market in Millheim has great scrapple.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV and garw
Love Scrapple. I am a Syrup fan, but know several Ketsup fans. Still respect them though...

Yeah, I've never understood putting ketchup on scrapple, but some members of my very own family do it, so I don't say much about the practice.

Scrapple with maple syrup is always a hit with me, though I also enjoy it by itself.

Can't eat it like Pap did...cold, thick slice between two pieces of white bread with yellow mustard. I'm not hard core enough for that.

damn, I've never even contemplated eating it like that. I enjoy trying variations on foods that I like, but I don't think that's one that I will try.

Being from western PA, the first time I ever had scrapple was at PSU. Couldn't understand why all the eastern PA kids loved it. Hated it then, hate it now.

now, now, CF, you've been expanding your horizons a bit in recent years. There are several places in the CF area where good scrapple is served for breakfast. Get it with an egg or two (whatever style you like best), fried potatoes, and pour on a little maple syrup, and you'll be quite satisfied.

Can't eat it like Pap did...cold, thick slice between two pieces of white bread with yellow mustard. I'm not hard core enough for that.

The old timers were a different breed. TOUGH. my Pap used to brush his teeth with baking soda. Not baking soda toothpaste, he'd dip his toothbrush (stiff bristled of course) into a box of baking soda and go to town. He also LOVED the "skin" of hog maw. the man was as tough as they come, may he rest in peace

Ketchup on my scrambled eggs and my scrapple ... though i much prefer bacon, pork roll or sausage (and ketchup on all those too)

Maple syrup or ketchup just hides the flavor IMHO. It’s like putting bbq sauce on caviar (well not really). Eat it plain so you can taste it.

Yeah, I've never understood putting ketchup on scrapple, but some members of my very own family do it, so I don't say much about the practice.

Scrapple with maple syrup is always a hit with me, though I also enjoy it by itself.

damn, I've never even contemplated eating it like that. I enjoy trying variations on foods that I like, but I don't think that's one that I will try.

now, now, CF, you've been expanding your horizons a bit in recent years. There are several places in the CF area where good scrapple is served for breakfast. Get it with an egg or two (whatever style you like best), fried potatoes, and pour on a little maple syrup, and you'll be quite satisfied.

To be fair, I think cafeteria style scrapple ruined it for me all those years ago.

My two favorite breakfast places in the area are Hank's and Nudy's. Do you think their versions would change my mind?

My two favorite breakfast places in the area are Hank's and Nudy's. Do you think their versions would change my mind?

cafeteria style can ruin a lot of good foods.

Hank's is excellent. They do a good job with scrapple. I'd give that a try. I've only eaten at Nudy's one time, and really don't remember a thing about it, so I hesitate to comment on that establishment.

Yeah, a blitz is much more appetizing when it's called a crepe.
Strangely I like crepes, savory more than sweet. You're right though. Blintz isn't exactly a word which makes a person's mouth water in anticipation of having one, unless of course you know what it is. As a 17 year old I was thinking, "What the hell is a blintz and why would I want to eat one?" The scrapple made me wary.

He also LOVED the "skin" of hog maw. the man was as tough as they come, may he rest in peace

I love a stuffed & roasted pig's stomach (Dutch Goose). Finding a butcher that carries stomachs can be a problem.

My scrapple experience also made me suspicious of unknown foods. On the bright side, getting to UP opened up the world of the chicken cosmo to me.

Bright side? Chicken Cosmos are nothing but breaded, chicken scrapple.

I'm totally a maple syrup guy, the real stuff, the darker the better. But something I had recently, that was really good, was scrapple as the meat on an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich. It was at a breakfast place I saw recommended on this board, the sunrise in Dewey.

To be fair, I think cafeteria style scrapple ruined it for me all those years ago.

That certainly didn't help. Even the best of the best buffets (i.e. Shady Maple) can't do scrapple well.

Reactions: LionJim
I love a stuffed & roasted pig's stomach (Dutch Goose). Finding a butcher that carries stomachs can be a problem.

Dutch goose = Hog Maw for the most part. big difference is (based on my family's recipe) the meat. We used ground sausage and beef whereas the dutch goose recipes I've seen use sausage links sliced. Regardless, I'm right there with you. LOVE a good hog maw doused with vinegar and a piece of bread with apple butter. In PA there is a butcher in York and one in Red Lion that has stomachs. Down here (NC) I had to special request them from a butcher. Not hard down here because of the hog farms everywhere, but you gotta go to a butcher and ask

That certainly didn't help. Even the best of the best buffets (i.e. Shady Maple) can't do scrapple well.

It's been 15-20 years, but I remember getting really good scrapple at Willow Valley. It was nice and crispy.... I think I read that they closed though?

I have never heard of putting maple syrup on scrapple; when I was growing up in Philadelphia we fried it and simply ate it. Since I've moved to NC and now settle for livermush, I've morphed to how folks eat it here---with mustard. The way it's usually served down here is in a biscuit with cheese.

Eff regular syrup. Gimme some king syrup, and lay it on THICK. Same for fried zucchini

Some King Syrup history, from those who grew up with it and loved it.

Unfortunately the era of high carbohydrate addictions and afflictions, is now known for feeding the epidemics of Obesity, Heart Disease, pre-Diabetes and pre-Cancerous conditions, among other major diseases.

Wish it wasn't that way for items that taste so good and can be remembered fondly as comfort foods.

Last edited:
Reactions: nittanyfan333
Got a question regarding brands of scrapple. Is the Meadows brand considered good authentic scrapple? That's typically what I buy.

Growing up, we also used to get it from Holland Bros in Duncansville. I remember it being good but I haven't had it in a long time.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Some King Syrup history, from those who grew up with it and loved it.

Unfortunately the era of high carbohydrate addictions and afflictions, is now known for feeding the epidemic of Obesity, Heart Disease, pre-Diabetes and pre-Cancerous conditions, among other major diseases.

Wish it wasn't that way for items that taste so good and can be remembered fondly as comfort foods.

My mother was quite a baker, and we always had a this stuff around......it is what I put on pancakes when I was a kid......pretty disgusting when I think about it now....

a9b0f34a2b576509432ddbabd8b0cb67.jpg

My mother was quite a baker, and we always had a this stuff around......it is what I put on pancakes when I was a kid......pretty disgusting when I think about it now....

My mom liked it too--especially the dark variety. But I never had it from a can.

High carbohydrate and high protein diets drive hormonal addictions and destructive cellular afflictions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT