ADVERTISEMENT

Schembechler knew his football players were being molested, told them to "toughen up." | UPDATE: FORCED SPERM SAMPLES

Is this statue in jeopardy?

university-of-michigan.jpg
Nah, just add statue of a seeing eye dog.

Big Ten Network not covering it. Instead a special is airing on the greatest program in the world, the champions of the world! The MAIZE AND BLUE

Reactions: odshowtime
I’m O.K. with it being applied to bo and michigan because f*ck bo and michigan.
Bob, once you take the tack that an iconic coach knows everything around campus you open up Joe Paterno to the same argument and it just isn't sound reasoning

Did Bo Schembechler seek out these sickos for some twisted reason? His "coaching tree" for sports medicine includes the two most prolific predators in NCAA history.

Remember that ************ Greg Stejskal who was an FBI detective who took the time to write this column in the New York Daily News?

https://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/i...booted-penn-state-fiasco-blog-entry-1.1632133

Bo Schembechler would not have fumbled a scandal the way Joe Paterno has booted Penn State fiasco
THE SPORTS ITEAM BLOG | DEC 04, 2012
BY GREG STEJSKAL

"Do the Right Thing -Always."

- Bo Schembechler

I want to preface this by saying, I was an admirer of Joe Paterno and Penn State football, which in my adult life have been synonymous. I don't know Joe Paterno, but I know that he had been head coach at Penn State for 46 years - until his dismissal last week - and had been extremely successful, winning 409 games and two national championships.

Paterno achieved this seemingly without compromising sound values. His players were encouraged to be student-athletes with equal emphasis on the student part. The football program's slogan was "success with honor." All of that including Paterno's legacy is in jeopardy.

There was a seamy underside to all that success, Jerry Sandusky. Sandusky played for Paterno then became a coach. Ultimately he was Penn State's defensive coordinator (the face of Linebacker U). He was characterized as Paterno's heir apparent. But if numerous allegations are to believed, Sandusky was, at least, as far back as the mid 90s, a child molester - using his position and its status to sexually abuse young boys.

Sandusky's alleged transgressions go beyond despicable, but the issue for Paterno is what did he know, when did he know it and what did he do about it. According to the report of the Pennsylvania Grand Jury that was investigating the allegations against Sandusky, in 1998 the Penn State police conducted an investigation regarding allegations that Sandusky was involved in the molesting of young boys. The case was presented to the local prosecuting district attorney, but no charges were brought as a result of that investigation. (It is difficult to believe a case could be presented to the prosecutor without Paterno being aware of the investigation.) Coincident with the conclusion of that investigation, Sandusky was informed by Paterno that he would not be Paterno's successor as head coach. Following the 1999 football season, at the age of 55, Sandusky retired from the Penn State coaching staff.

I don't know what caused Sandusky's precipitous fall from grace, but the timing, at best, seems curious.

Although Sandusky was no longer on the Penn State coaching staff, he was still a member of the PSU faculty. He remained an Assistant Professor of Physical Education Emeritus with full access to Athletic Department facilities and other perks.

According to the Grand Jury report, March 1, 2002, Mike McQueary, a PSU football graduate assistant (now the wide receivers coach) saw Sandusky sodomizing a young boy in the shower area of the football building. McQueary knew Sandusky and was shocked and unsettled, but on the following day he reported what he had seen to Paterno. Paterno then told the Penn State Athletic Director, Tim Curley, of McQueary's eyewitness account. Later McQueary would be interviewed by Curley and Penn State Senior Vice-President, Gary Schultz. It is not clear what further actions were taken as to Sandusky, but it is clear this incident was never reported to the police or child welfare authorities. Nor apparently was any action taken to identify the young boy or ascertain his welfare.

Sandusky retained his Assistant Professorship (He was listed in the faculty directory as recently as a few weeks ago) and his access to University facilities. According to the Grand Jury report, Sandusky's abuse of young boys continued after 2002.

So did Paterno fulfill his responsibility as head football coach and as Sandusky's former boss?

I don't think it can be overstated the prestige and sheer clout that Paterno has at Penn State, but for whatever reason, he apparently never used any of that to further pursue the Sandusky matter or to inquire about the welfare of the alleged victims.

I think the kids call that an “oopsies”

Reactions: ChiTownLion
I love how they lead with Bo Schembechler's son. He's related to Bo by a piece of paper. Matt is the son of Bo's first wife (from a previous relationship) and Bo then proceeded to divorce her. Matt also tried to sue Bo and Michigan (unsuccessfully) as he wanted to sell stadium seats as memorabilia.
It is clear that bad things happened on Bo's watch. That needs to be sorted out. This guy IMO is no better than some of the claimants that got free money from Ira.

Was only able to hear parts of the PC, but one of the former players was saying they were young and dumb 17-year-olds with maybe a little bit of experience with sex, but nothing like the sex with... Dr. Anderson.

The Big Ten has announced that as punishment for Michigan and its failure to properly handle this tragedy....Penn State will be placed on a 2 year probation with the loss of 10 scholarships and a 1 year bowl ban.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT