ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule is out for 2018-19...

Columbus Ohio Nationwide Arena. Capacity 20,000. Ticket sells through Penn State and Iowa ticket offices with priority to the season ticket holders from each school. Set an indoor attendance record and listen to Ryan whine about not the way they would have handled that dealt hand in a positive to infinity manner.
Heinz Field. More butts in seats than for Pitt football.

Reactions: diggerpup
Columbus Ohio Nationwide Arena. Capacity 20,000. Ticket sells through Penn State and Iowa ticket offices with priority to the season ticket holders from each school. Set an indoor attendance record and listen to Ryan whine about not the way they would have handled that dealt hand in a positive to infinity manner.

Will the Iowa fans be able to drive to Columbus? You know how they whine about having to fly anywhere for nationals. ;)

JP, over at BSD, does a nice breakdown of the schedule here.
@jtothemfp puttin' narrative to all that info--great job per usual. One note (My BSD login isn't working, or I'd post a comment there): you don't mention Ok St at the Scuffle. Seems to be the lone big fish other than us going (though I guess them sending starters isn't clear yet). Or do you know something we don't?

Okie St has had the Scuffle on their schedule and not sent their starting lineup once. That of course being last year. When Smith put his schedule out there was doubt to whether or not Penn State would be returning to the Scuffle and of course there was the opportunity to take his team to Italy.

This year there is no conflict on their schedule and I would bet a quarter Cael and Coach Smith probably had a conversation to make sure they were on the same page.

Everything indicates the Scuffle should be a PSU OSU showdown.

@jtothemfp puttin' narrative to all that info--great job per usual. One note (My BSD login isn't working, or I'd post a comment there): you don't mention Ok St at the Scuffle. Seems to be the lone big fish other than us going (though I guess them sending starters isn't clear yet). Or do you know something we don't?
He mentioned in the comments that it wasn't clear what part of the team Smith was going to send to the Scuffle. Probably because Okie State is also going to Reno 11 days prior to the Scuffle. Not a conflict per se but not many teams send all their starters to both.

Nah, I don't know anything secret these days. Nitlion & Tikk gave excellent answers tho. Reno at 11 days away is the only thing that kept me from citing them. Well, that and the interesting prospects of Iowa State & Lock Haven.

The SBN login can be a bear sometimes, especially if you had at one time set up the 2factor authentication. Here's a link to their help form: https://www.sbnation.com/pages/contact

I had to use it once to get them to reset something on their end, before my 2fa would function correctly again. Good luck! We'd love to see you commenting over there again sometime.

Nah, I don't know anything secret these days ...
But maybe you know the secret of how “three [tOSU] wrestlers ... combined for 16 All-American placements and four National Championship placements.“ o_O (I’m guessing it involves division by positive infinity. ;) )

Math aside, that was a well-written article!

Last edited:
How was attendance at the South Beach Duals last year? The event is threatening to cause the demise of The Scuffle.

I wish NC State would go to the Scuffle since it's pretty close for them. Last year they wrestled OSU at the time of the Scuffle and didn't wrestle again until 1/19. Their schedule isn't out yet so maybe there is hope they will join the fun?

But maybe you know the secret of how “three [tOSU] wrestlers ... combined for 16 All-American placements and four National Championship placements.“ o_O (I’m guessing it involves division by positive infinity. ;) )

Math aside, that was a well-written article!

Snap! Dang, thanks Dogwelder!

Reactions: Dogwelder
I wish NC State would go to the Scuffle since it's pretty close for them. Last year they wrestled OSU at the time of the Scuffle and didn't wrestle again until 1/19. Their schedule isn't out yet so maybe there is hope they will join the fun?

They're joining the South Beach Duals this year, on 12/29 & 12/30, so probably unlikely to also join the Scuffle 2 days later.

Reactions: Afw6006
I know PSU traveled to Iowa for the OOC dual on Dec 21, 2013 (thus, back-to-back in 2013 and 2014 seasons), but do you recall why Iowa wrestled at PSU back-to-back in 2011 and 2012? Curious since I have seen a few PSU folks mention that Iowa owes PSU a home match. Anyway, since 2008, the matches between Iowa and PSU have been:

08: @Iowa
09: @PSU
10: @Iowa
11: @PSU
12: @PSU
13: @Iowa
14: @Iowa
15: @PSU
16: DNW
17: @Iowa
18: @PSU
19: Not scheduled
The 2011 2012 blip was almost certainly due to a schedule redo with the July 1, 2011 addition of Nebraska to the Big10.
Exactly right. The scheduling model changed when Nebraska entered.

Article on national broadcasts of Penn State wrestling this coming season here.

Penn State's home dual with Lehigh on Sunday, Dec. 2, will air nationally on the BTN. The dual will take place in Rec Hall and starts at 1:30 p.m. Arizona State comes to Penn State for a dual in Rec Hall on Friday, Dec. 14, for a 6 p.m. dual that will air live nationally on ESPN2. The 2018 BJC Dual against Michigan on Friday, Feb. 1, will air on the BTN. The dual in the 16,000-seat venue begins at 7 p.m.

The Nittany Lions trek to Columbus, Ohio, to take on Ohio State on Friday, Feb. 8, at 8:30 p.m. and the dual will also air on the BTN. In addition, the Big Ten Network will air the Big Ten Championships live on Sunday, March 10. The entire two-day tournament will also stream live on BTN2go/BTN-Plus. ESPN and its family of networks will once again air the entire three-day NCAA Championships on March 23-25 from Pittsburgh's PPG Paints Arena. ESPN will announce details of its ever-expanding coverage later.​

ESPN2 for ASU--I know Penn Staters aren't supposed to like them, but that has to be a good sign, right?

"Arizona State comes to Penn State for a dual in Rec Hall on Friday, Dec. 14, for a 6 p.m. dual that will air live nationally on ESPN2."

Great for the sport! A little early for maximum exposure but it's a step forward. More interest in duals would be a wonderful thing. As much as I like Nationals, duals remain the heart of the sport for me.

"Arizona State comes to Penn State for a dual in Rec Hall on Friday, Dec. 14, for a 6 p.m. dual that will air live nationally on ESPN2."

Great for the sport! A little early for maximum exposure but it's a step forward. More interest in duals would be a wonderful thing. As much as I like Nationals, duals remain the heart of the sport for me.

Hall v Valencia on national TV is going to be huge!

note the dates on BTN

PSU once again growing the sport with a dual on ESPiN2

Would be nice if they could do something for DT there that day so during the break the NLWC could get some pub on national TV for the Gold he brought home. Im sure the producers at ESPiN will do something :eek::p:oops:;)

Thank you Tikk.

Since March, I "cut the cord" and canceled Comcast cable TV. I know this topic has been addressed in the past in various posts on this forum and I apologize for asking again, but since I'm still somewhat new to not having Comcast, how can I watch the matches on BTN and ESPN2 without Comcast? I have an Amazon Fire Stick.

Reactions: tikk10
Thank you Tikk.

Since March, I "cut the cord" and canceled Comcast cable TV. I know this topic has been addressed in the past in various posts on this forum and I apologize for asking again, but since I'm still somewhat new to not having Comcast, how can I watch the matches on BTN and ESPN2 without Comcast? I have an Amazon Fire Stick.

I also cut the cord and now using YouTube TV. It has BTN and ESPN channels.

Youtube TV seems pretty awesome.

For those of you “cutting” Comcast—what success have you had getting a good price/speed balance out of them for internet only?

Last edited:
Couple of questions on the schedule....

1. What early season events are coming up that PSU may send red/grayshirts, etc. to?
2. Looking at the schedule on gopsusports.com and 3 matches (Kent St, Nebraska and Buffalo) are listed as available on Lionvision. What is Lionvision and is it a free live stream?

2. Looking at the schedule on gopsusports.com and 3 matches (Kent St, Nebraska and Buffalo) are listed as available on Lionvision. What is Lionvision and is it a free live stream?

The Nebraska dual is also listed on Flo so I assume it will be a BTN StudentU production and available on BTN Plus and Flo. I would be surprised if Penn State offered it free on Lionvision too, although that's what the schedule says.

Last year someone posted and pinned a spread sheet showing schedule and likely tv/ radio options for each match. I hope someone can put that together for this season

Reactions: danoftw
Last year someone posted and pinned a spread sheet showing schedule and likely tv/ radio options for each match. I hope someone can put that together for this season

Was it GogglesPaizano? And it was helpful.

Ahhh, yes, I believe it was. Has he been active recently? Did a quick search and he hasnt posted since July but has been on the site recently.

@ItalianLion your services are needed.

Ahhh, yes, I believe it was. Has he been active recently? Did a quick search and he hasnt posted since July but has been on the site recently.

@ItalianLion your services are needed.
I know Mr. Lion well...will reach out to him. By May or so of next year, I'll have a bit more time on my hands and might be able to help...though that's for next year :).

Reactions: danoftw
I know Mr. Lion well...will reach out to him. By May or so of next year, I'll have a bit more time on my hands and might be able to help...though that's for next year :).

Retirement looming? If so, congratulations. I have about 12 years for me.

Heinz Field. More butts in seats than for Pitt football.
We put more butts in Rec Hall seats than Pitt football puts in Heinz Field seats.

Of course PSU wrestlers would make Pitt football players cry in a game of dodgeball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT