ADVERTISEMENT

Sandy Barbour, "Without a season ticket, you won't get in"

johnrclark12

Gold Member
Sep 11, 2018
Sandy Barbour's presser today pretty much confirmed that single game tickets will not be a thing.

"Without a season ticket, no matter what our capacity is, you’re probably not coming to a Penn State game this year. I appreciate our fans and their fanaticism for Penn State football, and we hope to be able to reward them with a safe and healthy opportunity to come and watch this year."

Per Onward State, Barbour added that she doesn’t believe a “full-house scenario” for Beaver Stadium this season is in the cards. She mentioned that multiple plans are being considered in which as many season ticket holders are being accommodated as possible.

There were no confirmation whether current season ticket holders will be able to resell and transfer tickets through Ticketmaster, although many season ticket holders have already sold some of their games to buyers. They are still optimistic there will be a season however.

IF they wuz schmart, they would use the extortion club, eh hem, Nittany Lion Club points to determine who gets into the stadium on game day. Have the extortion club members ante up more dinero for mucho points. :D:eek:

I would limit attendance to the following only.

* Players immediate family (mother, father, and siblings).
* Students who would be assigned seats to force social distancing. If they abuse, they are not allowed to attend any future games. Limit student attendance to 16,000 to 20,000.
* Possibly recruits ONLY, not parents/guardians, etc. This bothers me but one has to plan for the future without COVID.

I go to 1 or 2 games per year and I always get my tickets from a season ticket holder. Would that make me a season ticket holder?

This premise is exactly what I was wondering. If the ultimate goal is "public safety", then what is the difference between a person buying a single game ticket or a person buying a ticket to a single game from a season ticket holder? The net result is that person is sitting in the stadium. This logic is basically like saying "I won't sell you 6, but I'll sell you a half-dozen".

This premise is exactly what I was wondering. If the ultimate goal is "public safety", then what is the difference between a person buying a single game ticket or a person buying a ticket to a single game from a season ticket holder? The net result is that person is sitting in the stadium. This logic is basically like saying "I won't sell you 6, but I'll sell you a half-dozen".

Sandy’s got this. It’s called leading.

I would limit attendance to the following only.

* Players immediate family (mother, father, and siblings).
* Students who would be assigned seats to force social distancing. If they abuse, they are not allowed to attend any future games. Limit student attendance to 16,000 to 20,000.
* Possibly recruits ONLY, not parents/guardians, etc. This bothers me but one has to plan for the future without COVID.

I am not sure about the allotment. But what I believe they are over-estimating is the demand for tickets if the stadium is at 25% capacity and distancing rules are put in place such as parking lots open just 1-2 hours before games to limit tailgating. I have about 6-7 friends who have season tickets, parking passes, RV lot passes.... each & every one of them tells me they have absolutely zero interest in attending under these stipulations. Has nothing to do with "fear" of the virus, has everything to do with not paying money for a watered down experience. The majority of people attend PSU football games for the entire experience. The crowd, the tailgating, the pre-game, the excitement bubbling in downtown on Friday afternoon .... Take all that away and every person I know is saying "no thanks".

They may be better off just limiting attendance to family members of coaches & players, recruits, and students.

Reactions: psu00
IF they wuz schmart, they would use the extortion club, eh hem, Nittany Lion Club points to determine who gets into the stadium on game day. Have the extortion club members ante up more dinero for mucho points. :D:eek:
I'm hoping this is how they'll do it.

My guess is that we'd see many of these NLC Members say "no thank you", before they say "I'll ante up more dinero". I think the combination of A) many people still being a 'scared away' by the virus + B) people not wanting part of a 'watered down' product will far out-number the people willing to pay a premium for one of those 20-25K lucky Willy Wonka tickets.

All of the season ticket holders I know, who make pretty sizable donations to the NLC, tell me that they will not bother to attend games with a crowd of 20-25k and limitations to tailgating such as opening lots just 1-2 hours before game time. They tell me that in their opinions, the experience/enjoyment they get from THAT type of environment, would not be worth thier investment. They tell me that they have already contacted the school to see if their '20 donation can be carried over to '21. And they just take a pass on this year.

I think instead of a crazy demand for those 20-25k tickets, you'll instead get a very un-enthused buyers market.

I already emailed the NLC to request my donation and ticket costs be rolled over to 2021. Its been 7 business days and still have not received a reply back!!

W/ reduced attendance, the town will really need the school to relax the parking lot regulations. But they won't.

This is what you get when you have life-long bureaucrats implementing plans. I'd be willing to bet that they held countless meetings to come up with this plan.
You could see this coming for 20 years, pushing us peasants further and further away from the Stadium for parking and taken away tickets (STEP) from long time ticket and club members, Metal scanners take 45 min to hr to get in the gate the last couple years. When is that big new Stadium coming that looks like a Space Ship? I bet that is backed up a couple years.

Last edited:
I've already tried this...

Your donation is toast, you can kiss that goodbye

Is there a legitimate legal argument that the money would have to be refunded? It’s not considered a donation by the IRS and is required to have access to purchase tickets. I have no interest in attending under the current circumstance either, as many have already said.

Reactions: Psualum2007
Is there a legitimate legal argument that the money would have to be refunded? It’s not considered a donation by the IRS and is required to have access to purchase tickets. I have no interest in attending under the current circumstance either, as many have already said.
Correct it’s not a donation anymore per the IRS. It’s a fee to purchase tickets . I have already contacted my attorney.

Reactions: Maca54

I could be way wrong. I stopped my season tickets 2 years ago, so kind of lost interest in that entire deal. But, I thought I heard something that if you do not get tickets this year / you are unable to attend this year.... then they will forward your '20 money towards your '21 plan .... Again, I could be 100% wrong on this. But I thought I heard something along those lines.

Here is the problem for me. I am a season ticket holder. If I am restricted from attending games, then I would demand a refund or credit for any games I am not able to attend because of restrictions by the university. If they are looking at 25% attendance then they are going to have to restrict season ticket holders from attending every home game. So how will I be compensated for the games I am restricted from attending.

If I am not compensated or if I feel the compensation is not fair this is the last season I will pony up the money for tickets and NLC. Most if not all games will be on TV and I will watch and save a bunch of money by watching from home.

PSU needs to be careful. With how they treated Joe and the on-going block to acknowledge Joe and his accomplishments this could be a major dip in enthusiasm. Sure it will come back but a dip for some time.

Reactions: Maca54
I guess this means no tickets for the visiting team. Hopefully there will be exceptions for players' families.

Here is the problem for me. I am a season ticket holder. If I am restricted from attending games, then I would demand a refund or credit for any games I am not able to attend because of restrictions by the university. If they are looking at 25% attendance then they are going to have to restrict season ticket holders from attending every home game. So how will I be compensated for the games I am restricted from attending.

If I am not compensated or if I feel the compensation is not fair this is the last season I will pony up the money for tickets and NLC. Most if not all games will be on TV and I will watch and save a bunch of money by watching from home.

PSU needs to be careful. With how they treated Joe and the on-going block to acknowledge Joe and his accomplishments this could be a major dip in enthusiasm. Sure it will come back but a dip for some time.

The money you paid for your 2020 tickets will be transferred to 2021. Then this season, season ticket holders will be given opportunity to buy select games. Will be based on NLC points, but seems everyone will get a chance to buy a game. You will then be assigned seats under the social distance plan. You will not sit in your seats.

Correct it’s not a donation anymore per the IRS. It’s a fee to purchase tickets . I have already contacted my attorney.

Actually sort of correct. The part of donation required to get seats, etc. is not an item you can put on taxes. If you donate above and beyond, that part can still be counted as a donation and something you can put on taxes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT