ADVERTISEMENT

Sally Jenkins on Paterno interview

yeah...we get 100% consistent behaviors from MM, his mom, his dad, Dr. Dranov, Paterno, Curley, Schultz, President of TSM and Spanier. They all did the same thing, with only slight modifications on what they were told (the only one that saw anything was MM). Yet, Curley, Shultz and Spanier get jail time after five years of prosecution. Paterno is ruined. Nothing for TSM, Mom, Dad, Dranov. MM get $12,000,000.
100% correct. It's also true that DPW/CPS officials walked away unscathed even though they were the best trained on how to deal with such things.

Reactions: Mixolydian
well...it would've been more fair (in PSU fans' minds) if several reports/trials after the interview didn't confirm Joe knew about 98...opposing something Joe adamantly denied. yeah...that kinda backfired.

how can one expect (outside of PSU bubble) to not consider Joe a liar after that?.......Sally ripped him a new arse after the 98 emails came out......hard to blame her. then.....Curley sealed the deal in March. looks effin bad, gents.

quite frankly....it was always difficult for me to believe Joe didn't catch wind of 98....but there he was adamantly denying he knew anything before 01......i gave him the benefit of the doubt........gosh, I still want to........but it's pretty effin hard at this point.

sorry guys....making fun of Sally's appearance (pathetic, btw) ain't remediating 98 emails & Curley's testimony.
Ok, I will play. As always, the devil is in the details, which you conveniently gloss over. What precisely have these "several reports and trials" shown that Joe knew about 1998? What precisely did Joe mean when he, in his mid 80s and dying of cancer, denied knowing about 1998. What if all he knew was that the University police investigated an incident in which Sandusky, as he was known to do, was showering with a Second Mile kid after a workout? Big deal. Your suggestion that such knowledge matters is the ultimate example of hindsight bias. You are judging Joe based on what we know now, not in the context of the time. There endeth the lecture.

What does "knowing about 98" mean? That he heard there was a concern that was deemed unfounded?

Yes, another of the patently ridiculous and stupid accusations constantly made by the posing-trolls. Thomas Harmon, PSU's Police Chief at the time (and a Church-friend, former next-door-neighbor of Sandusky's), made sure that the "incident report" relative to 1998 was filed under an "Administrative Action", not a "Criminal Investigation". Even if Paterno would have heard that PSU was looking into some "Administrative Report" that came in about Sandusky about a TSM Child from a mother in the Spring 1998, it is highly doubtful that JVP would have been told details that implied JS was guilty of CSA given that the mother's incident report was not filed that way (nor, therefore, would it be reported to JS's Department that way). The extent of what Paterno was probably told is that the report, and its concerns, turned out to be completely "unfounded" - highly doubtful that the University would have shared all that much information given that the report had ZERO to do with his work responsibilities to Paterno.

Beyond all that, these same BOT "Friends of Jerry" over-ruled Paterno less than a year later and gave JS office-space in Lasch and full, unlimited access to PSU and its Athletic Facilities for his Personal Charity, TSM, as part of his sweetheart PSU early-retirement deal that included the bestowing of "Emeritus Status" despite the fact he didn't even actually qualify for the distinction!

But, but, but... she won an award!

on-the-street.gif

Bear in mind, this esteemed journalist, despite writing extensively about Lance Armstrong and being close enough to him to call him a friend, didn't know what everyone else that was close to him knew - that he was doping. If she was worth a tinker's dam as journalist and a human being, she would have known and written what she knew. What a fraud.

Bear in mind, this esteemed journalist, despite writing extensively about Lance Armstrong and being close enough to him to call him a friend, didn't know what everyone else that was close to him knew - that he was doping. If she was worth a tinker's dam as journalist and a human being, she would have known and written what she knew. What a fraud.

That's the real kicker with this harpy. She was herself duped by Lance Armstrong, so she knows how such a thing can happen. But Joe Paterno, who had built a legacy of integrity for over 60 years, gets no benefit of the doubt in her mind.

Ok, I will play. As always, the devil is in the details, which you conveniently gloss over. What precisely have these "several reports and trials" shown that Joe knew about 1998? What precisely did Joe mean when he, in his mid 80s and dying of cancer, denied knowing about 1998. What if all he knew was that the University police investigated an incident in which Sandusky, as he was known to do, was showering with a Second Mile kid after a workout? Big deal. Your suggestion that such knowledge matters is the ultimate example of hindsight bias. You are judging Joe based on what we know now, not in the context of the time. There endeth the lecture.

Well I was going to respond but apparently there's nothing additional to discuss

No matter who did the interview (Jenkins or anyone else), it was going to be a disaster. Listening to how she described his condition, how could anyone put merit in his words.

And if we want to go back to JVP's testimony, one can easily reference interviews etc, just days/weeks prior at the bowl game or even that season. Again, difficult putting merit in testimony at that time and in his condition.

That's the real kicker with this harpy. She was herself duped by Lance Armstrong, so she knows how such a thing can happen. But Joe Paterno, who had built a legacy of integrity for over 60 years, gets no benefit of the doubt in her mind.

One thing is for sure...there is no way that pos heifer was passing up a dinner invitation.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevina001
because according to her, there are two sides to Paterno if you consider his traffic incident and player arrests

Reactions: ChiTownLion
In the Q&A session around 19:00 mark Jenkins says "In retrospect, if you look back at the interview, he says a couple of times, I was really impressed on re-reading it the extent to which was overlooked in the big fallout after the story appeared, he says more than you think he said. He said 'I backed away.' I mean that is one of the quotes in rereading the piece he says I just backed away. That's a huge admission from Paterno. I think that the quote everyone is told is that 'I should have done more' but the quote 'I backed away' tells you what he thought of his own actions which is what everyone wanted to know. He admits to it."

First off, Jenkins like a lot of people omits the qualifier "With the benefit of hindsight" to the I should have done more quote which provides much needed context to Joe's reflection.

It seems that Jenkins also does not provide context for the "I backed away" quote either. Joe was just following university protocols which is precisely what the NCAA currently recommends to coaches confronted with potentially questionable behavior by staff or players, namely to turn the matter over to adminstrative authorities and get out of the way. I think he was just admitting that didn't do a detailed investigation per policy and not that he was admitting guilt of any kind.

I had to read that a couple of times to get what she was saying (I absolutely will not watch the video). Joe saying that he backed away is 100% the proper thing for him to have done after he passed it on to the people who handle these situations. The fact that she is apparently using that as a means to indict him is a pretty good glimpse into either her intelligence or morality.
I will repeat this again with the knowledge of one who works in this field and often has to make these reports: Joe did exactly what he should have done in regards to the report he received from McQueary. Exactly. The only thing that would cause me to reconsider that stance is the fact that the corrupt, immoral money-grubbers at the NCAA adopted his actions as the exact protocol for coaches to follow in the future.

Alternative explanation: She did what her dad has done for years, covered for a friend, earned a nice paycheck in the process, and passed herself off as a paragon of virtue more than qualified to judge the integrity of others.

Reactions: Royal_Coaster
yeah...we get 100% consistent behaviors from MM, his mom, his dad, Dr. Dranov, Paterno, Curley, Schultz, President of TSM and Spanier. They all did the same thing, with only slight modifications on what they were told (the only one that saw anything was MM). Yet, Curley, Shultz and Spanier get jail time after five years of prosecution. Paterno is ruined. Nothing for TSM, Mom, Dad, Dranov. MM get $12,000,000.
That's stunning but true.

A fiction writer would likely reject the plotline as too far-fetched.

I'm not going to watch, but when and why did these come out now all of a sudden?

You might want to ask @Adlee73 I believe he made the posting to twitter that OP @ChiTownLion referenced. The video on YouTube was made by the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications on Jan. 19, 2017. I believe that is from Penn State. I don't know when the video was produced and what transpired between 2012 and 2016.

Reactions: BowieLion
The only moral thing Paterno could have done was go and make a citizen's arrest himself, obviously (since the Police cleared Sandusky of the 1998 incident). 2nd choice was kill Sandusky with his bare hands.
Which is exactly what MM should have done, if there was sexual molestation going on!!!! It's a shame that all this mess could have been dealt with swiftly. Did Mike ever say he wished he'd have done more?

well...it would've been more fair (in PSU fans' minds) if several reports/trials after the interview didn't confirm Joe knew about 98...opposing something Joe adamantly denied. yeah...that kinda backfired.

how can one expect (outside of PSU bubble) to not consider Joe a liar after that?.......Sally ripped him a new arse after the 98 emails came out......hard to blame her. then.....Curley sealed the deal in March. looks effin bad, gents.

quite frankly....it was always difficult for me to believe Joe didn't catch wind of 98....but there he was adamantly denying he knew anything before 01......i gave him the benefit of the doubt........gosh, I still want to........but it's pretty effin hard at this point.

sorry guys....making fun of Sally's appearance (pathetic, btw) ain't remediating 98 emails & Curley's testimony.

Joe knew what about '98? What facts specifically? Curley's testimony did not make clear what, if anything, Joe knew about what Sandusky was going through in '98. The emails make nothing clear. Joe testified that he did not hear of any other inappropriate behavior before '01. Nothing in any public evidence makes clear that Joe Paterno knew that Jerry Sandusky was being investigated for the '98 shower incident. It's simply a false narrative that the emails prove anything about what Joe knew.

she reminds me of the FBI guy who said Joe knew everything about everyone, but sat in the pew next to the worst spy in American history

Reactions: Zenophile
Nor do they mention that the witness's own father, who was the first person to hear the report, did not believe contemporaneously that it was a matter for the police.

Nor do they mention that a physician and mandated reporter, who was the second person to hear the report, did not believe contemporaneously that it was a matter for the police.

Nor do they mention that both men have restated these beliefs repeatedly under oath and as recently as 2017.

But who needs context?
On the off-chance that a "journalist" is lurking in this thread, I'll spell out for you what the above post implies.

In order for Joe Paterno to have "done more" in this situation, he would have had to do both of the following:

1) Know Mike McQueary, the witness of the shower incident, better than Mike's own father knows him in order for Joe to be able to interpret the vague report as something much more than Mike was verbalizing, and then
2) Recognize & interpret that the "something much more" was actually child sexual victimization, which the trained mandated reporter was unable to do.

Those who think Joe Paterno possessed capabilities such as these would do well to familiarize themselves with one of the chief criticisms of Penn Staters.

Last edited:
On the off-chance that a "journalist" is lurking in this thread, I'll spell out for you what the above post implies.

In order for Joe Paterno to have "done more" in this situation, he would have had to do both of the following:

1) Know Mike McQueary, the witness of the shower incident, better than Mike's own father knows him in order for him to be able to interpret the vague report to be something more than Mike was verbalizing, and then
2) Recognize & interpret that "something more" to be possible child sexual victimization, which the trained mandated reporter was unable to do.

Those who think Joe Paterno possessed capabilities such as these would do well to familiarize themselves with one of the chief criticisms of Penn Staters.

In order to buy into the completely illogical and "unscientific" bull$hit that "Scientific America" is attempting to sell there, we need to first "buy into" their factual position that Mike McQueary, his Father and Dr. Dranov committed major-league Felonies under PA's "Obstruction of Justice" Code by not reporting the suspected "Anal-Rape" of a child. PA does not prosecute "Accessory After The Fact" under a separate code and therefore the claim of "ignorance" can be a defense EXCEPT when:

§ 5106. Failure to report injuries by firearm or criminal act.

And the result of the non-reporting results in damage to the VICTIM of the crime that could have otherwise potentially been averted. Beyond absurd to claim that a 28 year old Adult and two 50- or 60-something year old adults don't know that "subjecting a 10 year old to anal sex" is a CRIME in Pennsylvania OR that not calling in said CRIME while it is IN-PROGRESS would not result in further "injury" to the VICTIM (and impede authorities ability to bring the PERPETRATOR to justice)!

In order for us to believe "Scientific America's" rendering of events (keep in mind Paterno was never charged with any crime), please show us the LOGICAL REQUIREMENT that Mike McQueary, his Father and Dr. Dranov were charged by The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for the EXTREMELY SERIOUS FELONY of intentional Failure to Report the Criminal Anal-Rape of a 10 Year Old Child In-Progress?!?!?! Oh btw, 100% of these "supposed" State's Witnesses explicitly stated at-trial that The State was LYING in their Grand Jury Presentment and Accompanying Indictments (the Presentment was referenced as the "Probable Cause" for 100% of the 2001 Indictments) when The State said (and the OAG is unquestionably the writer of the Presentment):
  • That Mike McQueary witnessed such a thing -- Mike McQueary testified at-trial that he told the Grand Jury the diametric opposite, that he DID NOT witness such a thing and never told anyone he had (and the Grand Jury Record reflects MM's claim, not The State's in their fraudulent Presentment).
  • That Mike McQueary told John McQueary and Dr. Dranov, while the incident was IN-PROGRESS that he "saw" and eyewitnessed the child being "subjected to anal-rape" - again, not only Mike McQueary testified at-trial that this State Presentment/Indictment claim was a LIE and he never told them OR ANYONE FOR THAT MATTER such a thing, but John McQueary and Dr. Dranov testified that these State Presentment / Indictment claims DIAMETRICALLY CONFLICT with what they told the Grand Jury when they testified....they told the Grand Jury NO SUCH THING and had they thought Mike was remotely telling them that he saw JS molesting the child in any form, let alone "subjecting the child to anal-rape" - none of which MM actually did, they would have called Police/911 IMMEDIATELY!
So go figure, the FACTUAL and LOGICAL RECORD diametrically CONFLICTS with "Scientific" America's unscientific, bull$hit claims in their article - go figure! Talk about the "dumbing-down" of America in regards to the "Scientific Process" in regards to the DIFFERENCE between, "Proven Facts", opinions, theories and REJECTION OF HYPOTHESIS BASED ON FACTUAL DISPROOF!

Last edited:

1) Know Mike McQueary, the witness of the shower incident, better than Mike's own father knows him in order for Joe to be able to interpret the vague report as something much more than Mike was verbalizing, and then
2) Recognize & interpret that the "something much more" was actually child sexual victimization, which the trained mandated reporter was unable to do.

Wow, the comments on that article. I love this gem from 2011: "I read the Grand Jury report and I am convinced." & "The cover up is obvious and everyone involved contributed to the extreme harm that was done to these children, including Paterno. Paterno has admitted that he should have done more. This is called conciousness of guilt."

Wow, the comments on that article. I love this gem from 2011: "I read the Grand Jury report and I am convinced." & "The cover up is obvious and everyone involved contributed to the extreme harm that was done to these children, including Paterno. Paterno has admitted that he should have done more. This is called conciousness of guilt."

Did John McQueary & Dranov cover it up?
Why did MM say that nobody told him to be quiet about it?
Why did Fina say there was no evidence of a Paterno coverup?
Why were conspiracy charges dropped?

Did John McQueary & Dranov cover it up?
Why did MM say that nobody told him to be quiet about it?
Why did Fina say there was no evidence of a Paterno coverup?
Why were conspiracy charges dropped?

The State lost on a lot more than just the Conspiracy Charges they brought - the corrupt PA OAG lost on 100% of the 20-something Felony Charges they brought against PSU Employees related to "Criminal Failure to Report" and "Obsturction of Justice" and "Conspiracy" Charges brought related to the "supposed" cover-up of this Criminal FTR. Again, I think the OAG comically went 0-24 in regards to PSU Employees supposed "Criminal FTR" and supposed "OoJ and Conspiracy" to cover up their "Criminal Failure to Report"!

In fact, the corrupt OAG's claim of a cover-up was proven absurd "on its face" just as you point out given the fact that Mike McQueary told PSU that he told his father and Dr. Dranov his story WHILE THE INCIDENT was in progress and also told PSU Administrators that NONE OF THEM called Police/911 to tell them there was an in-progress crime taking place against a child AND THE CHILD WAS IN SEVERE DISTRESS AND BEING SEVERELY HARMED! Nobody from PSU EVER told MM, his father or Dr. Dranov not to communicate with people regarding the incident, least of all law enforcement.

In addition to all of these facts, PSU then IN FACT reported the incident to the STATE-ACTOR CARE & CUSTODY ENTITY, via its "Mandatory Reporter CEO", responsible for the child at the time of the incident (an Entity that had signed an "Indemnification Hold-Harmless Agreement" with PSU when PSU authorized them to use PSU's facilities negotiated through the Entities FOUNDER who still held "founder status" as the most-powerful, regulatory-listed "control person" at the State-Licensed and State-Contracting Child Welfare Entity.).

IOW, you utterly need to suspend FACTS and REALITY ITSELF to draw these conclusions - go figure, but this is what the corrupt, morally and ethically bankrupt PA Justice and Judicial System has come to, a "Suspension of Reality" worthy of the Mad Hatter and Alice in Wonderland's "Through The Looking-Glass world"!

Last edited:
It is true you learn something new every day. I never realized in this case, Sally is short for Salvatore.

Did we ever hear...........anything from MM's mother. She answered the phone and was aware "something is wrong". Did she just go to bed after handing the phone to John "did you see penetration" McQuerry? I would like to hear what MM told her that night as she tucked him in that fateful night.

Did we ever hear...........anything from MM's mother. She answered the phone and was aware "something is wrong". Did she just go to bed after handing the phone to John "did you see penetration" McQuerry? I would like to hear what MM told her that night as she tucked him in that fateful night.

If she would have stood outside his door after tucking him in, I'm sure she would have heard some rhythmic slapping sounds :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT