ADVERTISEMENT

Sally Jenkins on Paterno interview

She was worried that he would be so coached it would be unusable, or wouldn't say anything. She thought that they were softening her up by telling her he was sick. She had "so many" tough questions to ask. Talk about walking into an interview with a preconceived opinion.

Her tactic for interviewing people is to work up to the "f*ck you" question. Some professional.

"Obviously Sara (Ganim) has done the best work of anyone on this"

She was worried that he would be so coached it would be unusable, or wouldn't say anything. She thought that they were softening her up by telling her he was sick. She had "so many" tough questions to ask. Talk about walking into an interview with a preconceived opinion.

Her tactic for interviewing people is to work up to the "f*ck you" question. Some professional.

"Obviously Sara (Ganim) has done the best work of anyone on this"

so she's as big a callous witch as I thought. thanks

Reactions: BBrown
She mentioned his "I should have done more" quote.

Great research Sally! I think you missed a piece of that.

After watching her for 25 minutes, if she is at the top of her profession, I got into the wrong profession. She wouldn't last 10 minutes in the real world.

Reactions: denniskembala
I'm not going to watch the Jenkins clips but does anyone really think Joe would have gotten a fair interview regardless of his health? The university already fired him for no reason but the media took it to mean there must have been SOMETHING we didn't know. Jenkins went into the interview not with the attitude of learning something but rather with the attitude of trying to expose something whether it was there or not.

I'm not going to watch the Jenkins clips but does anyone really think Joe would have gotten a fair interview regardless of his health? The university already fired him for no reason but the media took it to mean there must have been SOMETHING we didn't know. Jenkins went into the interview not with the attitude of learning something but rather with the attitude of trying to expose something whether it was there or not.

That much is clear from this clip.

austin.jpg

Same as the "It was of a sexual nature" quote. They always leave out his next sentence, "I don't know what it was."
Nor do they mention that the witness's own father, who was the first person to hear the report, did not believe contemporaneously that it was a matter for the police.

Nor do they mention that a physician and mandated reporter, who was the second person to hear the report, did not believe contemporaneously that it was a matter for the police.

Nor do they mention that both men have restated these beliefs repeatedly under oath and as recently as 2017.

But who needs context?

She mentioned his "I should have done more" quote.

Great research Sally! I think you missed a piece of that.

In the Q&A session around 19:00 mark Jenkins says "In retrospect, if you look back at the interview, he says a couple of times, I was really impressed on re-reading it the extent to which was overlooked in the big fallout after the story appeared, he says more than you think he said. He said 'I backed away.' I mean that is one of the quotes in rereading the piece he says I just backed away. That's a huge admission from Paterno. I think that the quote everyone is told is that 'I should have done more' but the quote 'I backed away' tells you what he thought of his own actions which is what everyone wanted to know. He admits to it."

First off, Jenkins like a lot of people omits the qualifier "With the benefit of hindsight" to the I should have done more quote which provides much needed context to Joe's reflection.

It seems that Jenkins also does not provide context for the "I backed away" quote either. Joe was just following university protocols which is precisely what the NCAA currently recommends to coaches confronted with potentially questionable behavior by staff or players, namely to turn the matter over to adminstrative authorities and get out of the way. I think he was just admitting that didn't do a detailed investigation per policy and not that he was admitting guilt of any kind.

In the Q&A session around 19:00 mark Jenkins says "In retrospect, if you look back at the interview, he says a couple of times, I was really impressed on re-reading it the extent to which was overlooked in the big fallout after the story appeared, he says more than you think he said. He said 'I backed away.' I mean that is one of the quotes in rereading the piece he says I just backed away. That's a huge admission from Paterno. I think that the quote everyone is told is that 'I should have done more' but the quote 'I backed away' tells you what he thought of his own actions which is what everyone wanted to know. He admits to it."

First off, Jenkins like a lot of people omits the qualifier "With the benefit of hindsight" to the I should have done more quote which provides much needed context to Joe's reflection.

It seems that Jenkins also does not provide context for the "I backed away" quote either. Joe was just following university protocols which is precisely what the NCAA currently recommends to coaches confronted with potentially questionable behavior by staff or players, namely to turn the matter over to adminstrative authorities and get out of the way. I think he was just admitting that didn't do a detailed investigation per policy and not that he was admitting guilt of any kind.

"I backed away" is exactly what law enforcement wants people to do after reporting these incidents

well...it would've been more fair (in PSU fans' minds) if several reports/trials after the interview didn't confirm Joe knew about 98...opposing something Joe adamantly denied. yeah...that kinda backfired.

how can one expect (outside of PSU bubble) to not consider Joe a liar after that?.......Sally ripped him a new arse after the 98 emails came out......hard to blame her. then.....Curley sealed the deal in March. looks effin bad, gents.

quite frankly....it was always difficult for me to believe Joe didn't catch wind of 98....but there he was adamantly denying he knew anything before 01......i gave him the benefit of the doubt........gosh, I still want to........but it's pretty effin hard at this point.

sorry guys....making fun of Sally's appearance (pathetic, btw) ain't remediating 98 emails & Curley's testimony.

well...it would've been more fair (in PSU fans' minds) if several reports/trials after the interview didn't confirm Joe knew about 98...opposing something Joe adamantly denied. yeah...that kinda backfired.

how can one expect (outside of PSU bubble) to not consider Joe a liar after that?.......Sally ripped him a new arse after the 98 emails came out......hard to blame her. then.....Curley sealed the deal in March. looks effin bad, gents.

quite frankly....it was always difficult for me to believe Joe didn't catch wind of 98....but there he was adamantly denying he knew anything before 01......i gave him the benefit of the doubt........gosh, I still want to........but it's pretty effin hard at this point.

sorry guys....making fun of Sally's appearance (pathetic, btw) ain't remediating 98 emails & Curley's testimony.

What exactly did the "several reports/trials" "confirm" Joe knew about '98? What exactly did Joe "adamantly deny". Please be specific on both.

Nor do they mention that the witness's own father, who was the first person to hear the report, did not believe contemporaneously that it was a matter for the police.

Nor do they mention that a physician and mandated reporter, who was the second person to hear the report, did not believe contemporaneously that it was a matter for the police.

Nor do they mention that both men have restated these beliefs repeatedly under oath and as recently as 2017.

But who needs context?

Nor do they mention that his Father or Dr. Dranov were supposedly told that a child was being anally-raped IN-PROGRESS while Mike was speaking to them, was in need of assistance from first-responders, but they told Mike to go to bed, get some sleep and to tell his employer's HR Dept when he got the chance.... Rrrrriiiiiggggghhhhtttt, that makes perfect sense.

It also makes perfect sense that the lying OAG wouldn't have pressed charges against all these men for "Accessory After the Fact" (a Felony Obstruction of Justice Charge) for preventing apprehension of the criminal and assistance to a child being "subjected to anal rape" by intentionally failing to call in a crime - a crime which can carry a maximum sentence up to the perpetrators in many localities!

What exactly did the "several reports/trials" "confirm" Joe knew about '98? What exactly did Joe "adamantly deny". Please be specific on both.
<crickets coming>

Regardless of what Paterno or anyone else at PSU may have known about 1998 is essentially meaningless. As we all know, Sandusky was investigated by police and the investigation, according to law enforcement and CYS, was that the incident in question was unfounded. even the mother of the child let the situation drop. BFD.

Of course, as was mentioned above several times, all that context is also forgotten and/or misinterpreted.

<crickets coming>

Regardless of what Paterno or anyone else at PSU may have known about 1998 is essentially meaningless. As we all know, Sandusky was investigated by police and the investigation, according to law enforcement and CYS, was that the incident in question was unfounded. even the mother of the child let the situation drop. BFD.

Of course, as was mentioned above several times, all that context is also forgotten and/or misinterpreted.

"Misinterpreted" or intentionally "misrepresented"?

when I hear someone say that Joe should have done more, I always ask "what?' for the most part, I get crickets or "well, just more!". Sometimes I get "he should have followed up" to that I say he did, MM said so on several occasions. I get "he should have called the police" (like MM shouldn't have) and then I say a) he followed the protocol then and the protocol that the NCAA published in 2015." After they've run out of "things", I ask if he should have gotten an overcoat and spy glass and went Columbo on them. They laugh...but I've never had a single person ID anything Joe should have done he didn't do.

when I hear someone say that Joe should have done more, I always ask "what?' for the most part, I get crickets or "well, just more!". Sometimes I get "he should have followed up" to that I say he did, MM said so on several occasions. I get "he should have called the police" (like MM shouldn't have) and then I say a) he followed the protocol then and the protocol that the NCAA published in 2015." After they've run out of "things", I ask if he should have gotten an overcoat and spy glass and went Columbo on them. They laugh...but I've never had a single person ID anything Joe should have done he didn't do.

The other thing that is ludicrous about these "JVP should have done more" nonsense is that MM was 28 years old at the time, never remotely suggested to Paterno that he thought police needed to be called and QUITE TO THE CONTRARY, told Paterno he didn't contact the police the prior evening, nor did his Father or Dr. Dranov call them, or recommend calling them (they recommended Mike speak with his HR Supervisor - Joe) despite both his Father and Dr. Dranov being told while the incident was still "in progress" at Lasch and police could have preserved the scene, gathered evidence, arrested Sandusky, etc...

Beyond absurd that anyone would have called police based on the accounting a 28 year old McQueary gave Paterno well after the fact - beyond absurd.

Last edited:
The other thing that is ludicrous about these "JVP should have done more" nonsense is that MM was 28 years old at the time, never remotely suggested to Paterno that he thought police needed to be called and QUITE TO THE CONTRARY, told Paterno he didn't contact the police the prior evening, nor did his Father or Dr. Dranov call them, or recommend calling them (they recommended Mike speak with his HR Supervisor - Joe) despite both hid Father and Dr. Dranov being told while the incident was still "in progress" at Lasch and police could have preserved the scene, gathered evidence, arrested Sandusky, etc...

Beyond absurd that anyone would have called police based on the accounting a 28 year old McQueary gave Paterno well after the fact - beyond absurd.

yeah...we get 100% consistent behaviors from MM, his mom, his dad, Dr. Dranov, Paterno, Curley, Schultz, President of TSM and Spanier. They all did the same thing, with only slight modifications on what they were told (the only one that saw anything was MM). Yet, Curley, Shultz and Spanier get jail time after five years of prosecution. Paterno is ruined. Nothing for TSM, Mom, Dad, Dranov. MM get $12,000,000.

yeah...we get 100% consistent behaviors from MM, his mom, his dad, Dr. Dranov, Paterno, Curley, Schultz, President of TSM and Spanier. They all did the same thing, with only slight modifications on what they were told (the only one that saw anything was MM). Yet, Curley, Shultz and Spanier get jail time after five years of prosecution. Paterno is ruined. Nothing for TSM, Mom, Dad, Dranov. MM get $12,000,000.

Bingo. This x1000

What does "knowing about 98" mean? That he heard there was an unspecified concern that was deemed unfounded?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT