ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Scarlet Knights 19/20 Preview

It was a great wrestling season for Rutgers and Coach Goodale had his contract extended with salary increases.

Plus with the new Performance Center we have one of the best practice facilities in the country.

Go RU!

If you think failing to beat any top 15 teams in a dual, losing to Utah Valley by 10 points, only having four top 8 placers in the B1G tournament (after having 10 three years earlier) and having the two best wrestlers in NJ high school history win their first titles ever is a "great" season, you're drinking the kool-aid.

If you think failing to beat any top 15 teams in a dual, losing to Utah Valley by 10 points, only having four top 8 placers in the B1G tournament (after having 10 three years earlier) and having the two best wrestlers in NJ high school history win their first titles ever is a "great" season, you're drinking the kool-aid.
Didn’t coach Goodale win a coach of the year award for the 2019 season??

Reactions: Dogwelder
Didn’t coach Goodale win a coach of the year award for the 2019 season??

I'd say whatever group of imbeciles did that lost whatever small amount of credibility they had.

Did Duane Goldman win coach of the year when he coached Joe Dubuque, who didn't have the high school resume of AA or Suriano, when he won either of his *two* titles? Did Rob Koll win when Travis Lee won his title? Did Kevin Jackson win when Kyven Gadson won a title by decking Captain America? Did Mark Manning win when Jordan Burroughs, a one-time NJ champ, won either of *his* two NCAA titles? Did Cael Sanderson win when Anthony Cassar, a one-time NJ state qualifier, won his title? Did Carl Poff win when Cary Kolat won his two titles? You get the point, I think.

Last edited:
I'd say whatever group of imbeciles did that lost whatever small amount of credibility they had.

Did Duane Goldman win coach of the year when he coached Joe Dubuque, who didn't have the high school resume of AA or Suriano, when he won either of his *two* titles? Did Rob Koll win when Travis Lee won his title? Did Kevin Jackson win when Kyven Gadson won a title by decking Captain America? Did Mark Manning win when Jordan Burroughs, a one-time NJ champ, won either of *his* two NCAA titles? Did Cael Sanderson win when Anthony Cassar, a one-time NJ state qualifier, won his title? Did Carl Poff win when Cary Kolat won his two titles? You get the point, I think.
I thought in sports when an athlete wins MVP or a coach wins Coach of the year it’s a consensus they had a pretty good season....maybe the imbecile is.....u?? :rolleyes:;)

I thought in sports when an athlete wins MVP or a coach wins Coach of the year it’s a consensus they had a pretty good season....maybe the imbecile is.....u?? :rolleyes:;)

There was a really high probability that Goodale was going to screw up a slam dunk in Suriano and Ashnault leading the team to a Top-10 finish as champions. Hence, Goodale overcame great odds. Cael, on the other hand, coasted without challenge. Votes went to the guy who really exceeded expectations. ;)

Yea losing to Utah Valley and taking 8th at Big Tens is a good season? They had 2 good individuals.

And failed to defeat any top 15 team in a dual (something they actually did in 2015-16, btw). Yeah, just a stellar season.

Again, four wrestlers in the top 8 in their weight class at B1Gs. Yeah, stellar.

They did set a mark, though. Goodale was the least deserving recipient of the award in history.

Goodale's biggest stroke of genius is starting the season with a quad meet where Rutgers is the only D1 program - thereby virtually guarantying a 3-0 start to the season and making the dual meet record seem a lot better than it really is. Although it might blow up in his face this season.

Goodale's biggest stroke of genius is starting the season with a quad meet where Rutgers is the only D1 program - thereby virtually guarantying a 3-0 start to the season and making the dual meet record seem a lot better than it really is. Although it might blow up in his face this season.
Is Rutgers going to the Iowa City Duals?

A Pitt-Johnstown win about a month from now in Piscataway is not outside the realm of possibilities.

Edit: From the 2001 National Duals held at BJC - Match 4: (4) Iowa State 29, Montclair St. 18,

That's #4 seed Iowa State against D3 Montclair State

Last edited:
A Pitt-Johnstown win about a month from now in Piscataway is not outside the realm of possibilities.

Edit: From the 2001 National Duals held at BJC - Match 4: (4) Iowa State 29, Montclair St. 18,

Its gonna be interesting. Pitt Johnstown is loaded this year after having two national champs transfer in. Cant wait to see how that match plays out..

Iowa State forfeited 125, 149, and 157 in that dual. They did the same thing against Iowa in the 3rd place match.
http://www.wrestlingstats.com/NWCA/PDF/NWCA National Duals.pdf

None of this, however, means that UPJ couldn't give Rutgers a fight.

I was there and I remember at least two Montclair State wrestlers winning a match, including Rami Ratel, a kid I had coached against. But I can't find the box score.

Ah, you might be right! I thought I had linked to the Montlcair St dual, not the Iowa dual. Mea Culpa.

Reactions: matter7172
Reactions: danoftw
This should help recruiting New Brunswick comes in high on the list of ‘miserable’ US cities.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-new-jersey-well-represented-on-list-of-miserable-us-cities

That's a really interesting article. I didnt know Reading was that bad off:

Reading has 88,495 residents, of whom almost 62% are working and 36% live in poverty. In 2011, The New York Times said it was the poorest city in the US.

Its economy struggled after factories closed down or downsized, laying people off. An estimated 44% of households are on food stamps, among the most in the country

And I've been to Gary and I'm not surprised its #1.

To give you an idea of how desperate Rutgers fans are for attention, the latest proposal on the Rutgers board is to put banners up for both their individual champs. Imagine if Ok State (over 140), Iowa (over 80), Iowa State (over 60), Penn State (over 40), Michigan (over 20), Oklahoma (70), Lehigh (over 25), .... did this. Personally, I think it makes them look, well, desperate for attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
To give you an idea of how desperate Rutgers fans are for attention, the latest proposal on the Rutgers board is to put banners up for both their individual champs. Imagine if Ok State, Iowa, Iowa State, Penn State, Michigan, .... did this. Personally, I think it makes them look, well, desperate for attention.
If they only have two champs, let them put up two banners. We don’t need to pour cold water on their sincere happiness. (People who eat steak should not ruin the enjoyment others get from hot dogs. It would not be nice. :) )

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT