ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Scarlet Knights 19/20 Preview

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
Disclaimer: As much as I love poking at Rutgers, I resisted doing so in this review (it took every ounce of my self control). Rutgers had a great year so I’ll let others sink their cruise liner this time.

Edit: now that this is a preview instead of a review, I'll poke just a little bit.

Rutgers

The Scarlet Knights had their best NCAA placement ever, finishing 9th with 51.5 points on the strength of their first two individual national champions, Nick Suriano and Anthony Ashnault. Rutgers had a 12-6 dual record with their biggest wins coming against Wisconsin and Princeton. They also came within 10 points of beating Utah Valley. Rutgers finished 9th at Cliff Keen and 8th at the Big 10 Championships.

Rutgers loses a lot of points with Ashnault but they do return their other national champion, Nick Suriano and two of their other four qualifiers from last season. While Rutgers will probably sink back out of their perennial top 10 position this season, they do have a very good incoming freshman class that may keep them ahead of Minnesota. Rutgers hasn’t released their full schedule yet, but it has been announced that they will be going to the Southern Scuffle and have matches against Cornell, Princeton, Fresno State and CSUB.

<This one was tough to put together because there are a lot of different options at several weight classes and several of their incoming freshmen are good enough to be immediate starters.>

Shane Metzler (Jr) <West Morris, NJ>
Nick Aguilar (Fr) <Gilroy, CA>
Sammy Alvarez (Fr) <St. Joseph Montvale, NJ>

Metzler moved in as the starter for 125 last season when Suriano moved up to 133. Metzler had a tough season going 10-18 with no wins against NCAA qualifiers. He didn’t place at the Big Ten Championships. <Bonus: 17.9%, RPI: .527>

Aguilar may displace Metzler as the starter this season. As a redshirt last season he went 7-7 (all of his losses were by decision) and had one win against a NCAA qualifier, Gage Curry (Amer).

Or does Rutgers start true freshman Sammy Alvarez? Alvarez is a three-time New Jersey state finalist, winning the championship at 126 in 2019 over Robbie Howard. He's ranked #13 at 126 by InterMat.

Nick Suriano (Sr) <Bergen Catholic, NJ>

Last season, Suriano’s decision to flee Lee paid off, as he went 29-3 overall and captured his first (and Rutgers first) national championship from the 3 seed. While his final against Fix wasn’t exactly thrilling (that’s the nicest I can phrase it), his critics are probably a little too hard on him regarding his defensive style of wrestling. Suriano had a 62.5% bonus rate on the season which was actually higher than Yianni Diakomihalis. With Rutgers announcing that they will be attending the Southern Scuffle, there’s a possibility of a Suriano-Fix rematch. I’m really hoping Fix takes an Olympic redshirt. <Bonus: 62.5%, RPI: .707>

Peter Lipari (Sr) <Bergen Catholic, NJ>
Zach Firestone (Jr) <Clearfield Regional, NJ>
JoJo Aragona (Fr) <Pope John XXIII, NJ>

Lipari went 13-14 overall and squeaked into the tournament as the 33 seed, going 1-2. His biggest win was against Nate Limmex (Pur), beating him for 9th place and the final automatic qualification at the Big 10 Championships (Limmex received an at-large bid). <Bonus: 11.1%, RPI: .583>

Firestone missed last season due to injury. In 2017/18 he went 20-4 as a redshirt @133. All four of his losses were to NCAA qualifiers.

This is another weight where a true freshman could potentially start. Aragona won the New Jersey state championship @138 and the Beast of the East his senior season.

Mike Van Brill (Sr) <Clearview, NJ>
Nick Santos (So) <St. Peter’s Prep, NJ>
Ryan Vulakh (Fr) <Pope John II, PA>

Van Brill went 5-7 last season filling in at 141 in several duals and finished the season at 157. He was the 141 starter in 17/18 and went 15-14 (didn’t qualify for NCAAs).

Santos missed last season due to injury. In 17/18, he went 20-8 mostly in tournaments (no wins against NCAA qualifiers).

Vulakh could potentially slot in at 149 if he doesn’t redshirt. He won the PIAA (AAA) State Championship @152 in 2019 and finished 3rd @145 in 2018 (lost to Sammy Sasso). Vulakh is ranked #3 at 152 by InterMat.

Anthony Ashnault came back from a lost season due to injury, moved up a weight class and ran the table (32-0) on his way to a national championship. This really was one of the great stories for last season. The national championship capped off a great career for Ashnault as he also finished 8th in 2015, 4th in 2016 and 6th in 2017 @141. His 123 career wins are the most in Rutgers history.

Stephan Glasgow (So) <Bound Brook, NJ>
Robert Kanniard (Fr) <Wall Township, NJ>

Glasgow may drop back down to 157 after a rough experience at 165 last season where he went 7-9 and 1-2 at the Big 10 Championships. If he doesn’t drop down, then it looks like 157 will be manned by yet another true freshman.

Kanniard won the New Jersey state championship @160 last season. He placed 2nd at 160 in 2018 and 4th @152 in 2017. Kanniard is ranked #6 at 160 by InterMat.

Last season, outgoing senior John Van Brill qualified for the NCAAs for a 3rd time going 21-16 overall and 2-2 in the tournament from the 16 seed. He had the misfortune of running into Jason Nolf in the 2nd round where Nolf did a very good impersonation of a grizzly bear mauling his prey.

Brett Donner (Jr) <Wall, NJ>
Anthony Oliveri (Jr) <Hanover Park, NJ>

Donner went 7-4 at opens last season (no notable wins). Oliveri went 4-10 last season mostly at 174 but also filled in at some dual meets at 165 and 184.

Joseph Grello (Jr) <Bergen Catholic, NJ>

Grello qualified for his first NCAA championship, going 18-11 overall and 2-2 in the tournament from the 29 seed. After dropping a 3-8 decision to Myles Amine in the first round, Grello upset #13 Brit Wilson (NIU) and #14 Kimball Bastian (UVU) before dropping a 3-7 decision to David McFadden (VT). <Bonus: 27.6%, RPI: .589>

Billy Janzer (Fr) <Delsea, NJ>

Janzer had a pretty good redshirt freshman season going 15-4 including a win over qualifier Tanner Harvey (American).

Last season, Nicholas Gravina had a rough go coming back from injury in his final season. He did qualify for the 4th time (finishing 6th at the Big Ten Championships) but went 6-5 overall and 0-2 in the tournament from the 21 seed.

Matt Correnti (Jr) <Holy Cross Academy, NJ>
Jordan Pagano (Sr) <Bergen Catholic, NJ>

After taking a redshirt season where he wrestled at heavyweight, Correnti went back down to 197 going 12-15 and didn’t qualify for the tournament (he went 0-2 at the Big 10 Championships). He did have one win against a qualifier, Ethan Laird (Rider). Correnti qualified for the NCAA tournament @197 his true freshman year in 2016-17. <Bonus: 3.7%, RPI: .565>

Former qualifier (@174) in 2017 and former Nittany Lion Jordan Pagano began last season as the 184 starter before suffering a season ending injury. Pagano was granted a 6th year and is eligible to wrestle in 19/20.

Heavy
Christian Colucci (Sr) <St. Peter’s Prep, NJ>

Colucci went 15-13 for the season and didn’t qualify for the tournament. He went 1-2 and didn’t place at the Big 10 Championships. Colucci had two wins against NCAA qualifiers, Cary Miller (App St) and Jacob Aven (Pur). <Bonus: 17.9%, RPI: .584>

New Faces
Rutgers has brought in quite a haul for the 2019 class, with six top-20 in weight class wrestlers. Several of which could potentially start as true freshmen.

Sammy Alvarez <St. Joseph Montvale, NJ>
Listed above at 125.

JoJo Aragona <Pope John XXIII, NJ>
Listed above at 141.

Ryan Vulakh <Pope John II, PA>
Listed above at 149.

Robert Kanniard <Wall Township, NJ>
Listed above at 157.

Jackson Turley <St. Christopher’s VA>
Turley is a 4-time Virginia state champion, winning at 182 his senior season. He also was the National Prep champion his senior year after two runner-up finishes. He has said that he plans on wrestling at 174 for Rutgers. Turley is ranked #6 at 182 by InterMat.

Zack DelVecchio <South Plainfield, NJ>
DelVecchio (brother of former Rutgers wrestler Zach) won the New Jersey state championship @220 his senior season. He is ranked #8 at 220 by InterMat.

95885fd7-d40f-4ec1-9d2b-b67f1a30a6bc-AP19083128784266.jpg

Last edited:
Is that it? I was expecting a little more!;)
I’ll try to start the ball rolling for matters :),

- Anthony Ashnault is one of the greatest NJ wrestler of all time 4x champ yet he lost to 1x NJ champ at BTS....smh

- Good season? Has anyone seen RU’s big 10 result this year compared to 2016?? Didn’t think so.. clearly regressing!!

- Suriano has no offense... always playing turtle against elite wrestler.. therefore, his win over colon and fix have no merit.. just more snoozefest...

Alright, u finish up Matters...

The Scarlet Knights had their best NCAA placement ever, finishing 9th with 51.5 points on the strength of their first two individual national champions, Nick Suriano and Anthony Ashnault. Rutgers had a 12-6 dual record with their biggest wins coming against Wisconsin and Princeton. They also came within 10 points of beating Utah Valley. Rutgers finished 9th at Cliff Keen and 8th at the Big 10 Championships.

You sure you weren't poking at them with this?

This season is going to bring Rutgers fans back to earth. They might even realize that Goodale has taken the two best high school wrestlers in NJ history and squeezed two titles out between them. Meanwhile, many wrestlers have, individually, equaled or exceeded that total during the time period.

It's Suriano. Then Grello. Then a bunch of unproven, .500 and below .500 wrestlers manning the deck.

This season is going to bring Rutgers fans back to earth. They might even realize that Goodale has taken the two best high school wrestlers in NJ history and squeezed two titles out between them. Meanwhile, many wrestlers have, individually, equaled or exceeded that total during the time period.

It's Suriano. Then Grello. Then a bunch of unproven, .500 and below .500 wrestlers manning the deck.
U do realize that Ash and Suriano weren’t even the #1 ranked wrestler of their hs weight coming out of hs right?? Jojo Aragona will be RU’s first recruit that is ranked #1 weight in his class.. really happy with how RU been recruiting lately :D

Edit~
Hmm wait, I’m wrong, Suriano was #1 in his weight and #3 class recruit.. that being said, with two trips to ncaa tourney he’s gotten 1st and 2nd.. not too shabby

Last edited:
U do realize that Ash and Suriano weren’t even the #1 ranked wrestler of their hs weight coming out of hs right?? Jojo Aragona will be RU’s first recruit that is ranked #1 weight in his class.. really happy with how RU been recruiting lately :D

Edit~
Hmm wait, I’m wrong, Suriano was #1 in his weight and #3 class recruit.. that being said, with two trips to ncaa tourney he’s gotten 1st and 2nd.. not too shabby
Who was ranked ahead of Suriano at his weight?

Reactions: Dogwelder

Edit~

Were Suriano and AA not the two best wrestlers in NJ HS history? Is this some kind of endemic problem with Rutgers fans? You can't focus on the discussion? Did I say they were the highest ranked at their weight classes? You'll be happy until you see the results. Have fun this season.

And Suriano has done almost as well as Spencer Lee. Almost.

Last edited:
Were Suriano and AA not the two best wrestlers in NJ HS history? Is this some kind of endemic problem with Rutgers fans? You can't focus on the discussion? Did I say they were the highest ranked at their weight classes? You'll be happy until you see the results. Have fun this season.

And Suriano has done almost as well as Spencer Lee. Almost.
U always see what u wanna see, which for u is usually hate-a-rade, before last season your narrative was RU will never have a ncaa champ.. Suriano won’t get it done in loaded weight... Ash isn’t good enough to move up weight... they both got it done and now your new narrative is they only squeezed two titles between best ever!!

I’m somewhat loathe to use this source, but FRL hinted at this on twitter earlier.

It was already going to be ugly with Suriano. Without him, it moves into fugly territory. Possible shutout at Rec Hall?

Reactions: Str8DBLz
It was already going to be ugly with Suriano. Without him, it moves into fugly territory. Possible shutout at Rec Hall?
BAHAHAHAH all on RU’s staff is backing Suriano’s decision.. everyone knows this year is a rebuilding year so it would make even more sense to RS him and be pretty good the following year!

BAHAHAHAH all on RU’s staff is backing Suriano’s decision.. everyone knows this year is a rebuilding year so it would make even more sense to RS him and be pretty good the following year!

Good luck with that. And do you think the Rutgers staff would dare to challenge Suriano? That's not why he went there.

Reactions: danoftw
Rebuilding year after peaking at 9th place in NCAA's?;) Might be a rebuilding decade.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
They just extended Goodales contract 5 more years. Let's see what happens if Donny doesn't stick around.

I've never understood why all the RU bashing on here. Maybe its an Eastern PA thing or something. They really aren't worth the time and attention.

Reactions: dbldoofus
I've never understood why all the RU bashing on here. Maybe its an Eastern PA thing or something. They really aren't worth the time and attention.
Tell that to the Pitt obsessed Western Pa people on the FB board.

As for Rutgers, I think their fans exploitation of the Sandusky mess has caused a lot of the blowback. They’ve got a core of truly awful fans who revel in it.

That and the tough guy Jerzey attitude on the mat. It all makes hammering them more satisfying.

It's like going to a comedy club without the 2 drink minimum.

It was a great wrestling season for Rutgers and Coach Goodale had his contract extended with salary increases.

Plus with the new Performance Center we have one of the best practice facilities in the country.

Go RU!

Reactions: KidDagger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT