ADVERTISEMENT

Rose Bowl

ShinerTexas

Sep 8, 2009
For the fun of it let’s say Penn St and Ohio State both win out. If this scenario plays out we are going to the Rose Bowl.

Please explain how PSU makes in over the west team that plays
The Big 10 West Champ will have at least three losses including their last game (BCG) while Penn St will be on a 4 game win streak and passes the Eye Test (ranked higher than BCG loser)

I know people love these hypothetical threads it with so many if games left for all teams these are use about worthless. Sports websites do them as pure click bait because no one as a clue as to now,it will play out.

After the MD game, the BWI guys said PSU still has a chance for a NY6 game. I am not sure I believe it, but who knows- if a LOT of things happen, maybe.
I don't see how.. A lot will need to happen. The SEC will have two teams in NY6, Big 12 will have a team, ND will be in the NY6, and a Pac-12 team will be in.

I know people love these hypothetical threads it with so many if games left for all teams these are use about worthless. Sports websites do them as pure click bait because no one as a clue as to now,it will play out.
the sports sites are reporting that 80% of their statisticas are made up. Also, they have a 99% favorability rating.

Penn State has 0 chance of going to the Rose Bowl no matter what.

IMH0 the BIG needs to worry about getting a team in the Playoffs this year because I don’t think OSU is winning out.

IMH0 the BIG needs to worry about getting a team in the Playoffs this year because I don’t think OSU is winning out.
Every B1G west team has two or more conference losses. PSU has three. Michigan and MSU both have to play Ohio State. So if Ohio State and PSU win out (admittedly, a big if) that would mean both Sparty and UM would have three conference losses. And no matter who the west has, they'd get their third loss in the B1G championship game, at least. PSU would have head to head tie breakers with everyone in the east. the only head to head tie breaker in the west that might win would be Iowa, assuming they win out and lose in the B1G championship game.

"0 chance"?

Go educate yourself on Rose Bowl selection criteria before you spout off such stupidity.

Every B1G west team has two or more conference losses. PSU has three. Michigan and MSU both have to play Ohio State. So if Ohio State and PSU win out (admittedly, a big if) that would mean both Sparty and UM would have three conference losses. And no matter who the west has, they'd get their third loss in the B1G championship game, at least. PSU would have head to head tie breakers with everyone in the east. the only head to head tie breaker in the west that might win would be Iowa, assuming they win out and lose in the B1G championship game.
I’m not assuming PSU wins out…because I doubt they will.

I’m not assuming PSU wins out…because I doubt they will.
I doubt it too. However, I am not overly impressed with either UM or Sparty. Michigan State's only quality win was UM. Michigan's only quality win was Wisconsin. Both have had very easy schedules and both have had a history of late collapses.

Please explain how PSU makes in over the west team that plays in the championship game?
Because that team will probably be Wisconsin -- who will have the same regular season record as PSU (plus a loss the CCG) and PSU beat them in the regular season.

You are making a great point. Of course, I would love for us to win out and set this up but I doubt it happens.

The key in this scenario where we win out is:

-O$U wins out and makes playoff
-Iowa has to get a third loss and drop below PSU in the CFP rankings

If that happens with Wisky losing to O$U in B10 championship game for a 4th loss and third conf loss then we are sitting in good position. There still could be the question of Iowa getting a nod over us (even with 3 losses) due to the head to head win but if we are ranked higher then we should get in and would have finished strong with a win over a top 10 team (scUM) and probably a top 20 team on the road (Sparty, assuming they have 2 losses at the time of our game vs them). Since we know how much the B10 conference likes us I am confident we would get the nod (insert sarcasm).

Reactions: Obliviax
Because that team will probably be Wisconsin -- who will have the same regular season record as PSU (plus a loss the CCG) and PSU beat them in the regular season.
True, but for whatever reason (Alvarez), the committee always has a huge hard on for Wisconsin. I'm so sick and f**king tired of that program. If PSU were to win on Saturday (slight favorite) and we don't jump Wisconsin in the rankings, I'm done.

True, but for whatever reason (Alvarez), the committee always has a huge hard on for Wisconsin. I'm so sick and f**king tired of that program. If PSU were to win on Saturday (slight favorite) and we don't jump Wisconsin in the rankings, I'm done.
I would say that if Wisky had 4 losses including one in the B10 championship game AND did not play PSU then they probably would choose Wisky over PSU for the Rose Bowl. OR if Wisky got its third loss in the Championship game and did not play PSU then they definetly go ahead of us. The combo of us beating them and they would have one more loss than us seals their fate no matter what type of horse crap Alvarez tries to pull.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Please explain how PSU makes in over the west team that plays in the championship game?

That team ends up being Wisconsin. The loss to OSU is their 4th. They finish with more losses and the head to head loss.

Based on the premise that OSU and PSU win out (unlikely, but debating that is not the point of this thread) Wisconsin in the BCG is our best case scenario. Helpful outcomes prior to that include Minnesota beating Iowa this weekend and Wisconsin beating Minnesota in a couple of weeks.

Then it will be some bullshit excuse that the loss shouldn’t hurt them since it was an extra game.

Maybe. There are no set procedures or tiebreakers involved with the Rose Bowl selecting a replacement. They can go by highest ranked in the CFP. They can go with CCG loser. They could pick a 6-6 Michigan team in the future just because they really want Harbaugh to make it.

They've only had to select a replacement team twice in the playoff era. Both times (15/19) they picked the CCG loser but both were also the second highest ranked team in the final CFP rankings so it was pretty cut and dry. We'd need to finish as the #2 BIG team in the rankings. If we arent ahead of Wisconsin going into the championship weekend, we'd probably need to root for them to get their asses kicked. Another Iowa loss would help as well. If we are behind Iowa and Wisconsin before the CCG I think its unlikely we go as the best case scenario is us being the third highest ranked team in the conference behind two teams we lost to. In that scenario I think they take 4 loss Wisconsin and we're probably in the outback.

Last edited:
I doubt it too. However, I am not overly impressed with either UM or Sparty. Michigan State's only quality win was UM. Michigan's only quality win was Wisconsin. Both have had very easy schedules and both have had a history of late collapses.
Agreed, Franklin has laid some massive eggs vs MSU. I do think we have a chance to beat UM since it’s at home and will be easy for the team to get up for and after the Illinois game, you just can’t overlook Rutgers(mainly Schiano) because it’ll most likely be a noon game and Franklins head won’t be in it. plus, with the run game nonexistent it’s gonna be tough to beat UM and MSU on the road in what will probably be cold weather

But you’re right…it’s tough to actually tell how good UM and MSU really are.

That team ends up being Wisconsin. The loss to OSU is their 4th. They finish with more losses and the head to head loss.
One critical mistake….never…under any circumstances…I underestimate Barry Alvarez’s ability to stroke the teet of the BIG

If interested, start packing your bags for either Nashville, Las Vegas or Phoenix

Those griping about wiscy getting rose over us when we got cotton 2 yrs ago. The conference pulled strings and it made sense. We were in position to get NY6 regardless. Had we been chosen for Rose- Wiscy gets left out. The conference had a benefit.

We need to stop this inferiority complex. The conference knows it needs us. The bowls love us. There is no conspiracy. If there are dealings. Follow the money. Wiscy to rose in 19 created money for conference. OSU in 16 was cause the BIG was in danger if being left out (2 loss champion)

OSU in 16 was cause the BIG was in danger if being left out (2 loss champion)

Oh please. Left out for who? the big ten wasn’t in danger of being left out in 16. We were 5th in the final poll not 15th. 6th was another 2 loss team, also from the BIG. 7th was another 2 loss team. 8-14 were 3 and 4 loss teams.

They see us winning out, interesting. If this happens would definitely prefer Oregon over Utah.

Looks like they have Iowa dropping another as well for them to end up all the way down the list in LV

Looks like they have Iowa dropping another as well for them to end up all the way down the list in LV
Yep, not sure Iowa does lose again. Minny at home and Nebraska on the road. I think they also have the fighting Brett Bielemas at home. Don't see their PSU game plan working against the Hawkeyes.

Yep, not sure Iowa does lose again. Minny at home and Nebraska on the road. I think they also have the fighting Brett Bielemas at home. Don't see their PSU game plan working against the Hawkeyes.

Illinois could try to out ugly Iowa. if they never throw the ball Iowa can’t intercept it…

I think Minny can beat Iowa. I also can see Nebby putting it together and getting over the hump vs. Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT