ADVERTISEMENT

RIP: Jayhawk / Celtic / Olympian Jo Jo White

I was a freshman when Jo Jo was a senior at KU, played basketball with him a lot that fall.

One of the nicest, classiest, least-selfish student-athlete-friend you’d ever want to know. And one hell of a basketball player!

Classy was the first word that came to mind for me. I just checked his Wikipedia page and didn't know he was also drafted by the Dallas Cowboys and the Cincinnati Reds.
RIP Jo Jo.

Anyone else remember the NBA on CBS theme from the 70s?
You'll see the best in basketball when you watch the N-B-A

Very sad. One of my favorite players of all time. Played the game with unalloyed joy. RIP.

I recall Jo Jo White had a pretty flat jump shot but it was deadly accurate. Another thing I recall is that the NBA had a one on one competition that IIRC they showed during halftime of Saturday games. Jo Jo went to the finals before losing to Bob Lanier.

I read that he was drafted by the NBA, NFL, MLB and for Military Service by the USG.

I love those Celtic teams with Jo Jo, Havlicek, etc. To me, that was the golden age of the NBA. Celts, Knicks, Lakers had some really great teams during that era. Absolutely hate the NBA now - nothing but glorified ghetto ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT