ADVERTISEMENT

Reports say B10 to have conference schedule only in fall

So who will be added to the schedule to make 10?
That's TBD. But honestly at this point I'm thinking it's more likely that the season is shortened further, or doesn't happen at all. Cancelling non-conference games bought them another month to work things out and also give the conference full control over scheduling, so they can remain more flexible than they would have been if dealing with other conference opponent logistics.

Reactions: NJPSU and PSUFBFAN
I’m curios to see what the $EC does.
They’ll be either:
A. Last to follow suit
B. Do nothing

$EC is win at all costs, but by all means, WIN!

It is all about the optics of it all.
What? Please. It's about being able to control and rely on a consistent way of handling procedures that your own conference arrived at. You don't know about teams outside your conference. Doesn't mean it will work but it's the best you can do. Crazy how this is not completely obvious to people.

VT and the ACC could say their hand was forced to go this route after the Big Ten unilaterally announced this so late in the summer leaving 5 ACC teams with sudden holes in their schedules. (I’m sure some Tobacco Road lawyer would love to give it a try. ;)).
There probably were no payments involved as this was a home-and-home series.

Reactions: Sullivan
The included a caveat in their statement that it's an all B1G schedule if they play at all. They aren't playing. This announcement was to soften the blow of cancelling the season. They are simply doing this in steps. First, cancel all OOC games. People will be mildly upset (like not playing VT) but will accept it.

We are in the bargaining phase of loss guys. There isn't going to be a CFB season this fall.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
I’m curios to see what the $EC does.
They’ll be either:
A. Last to follow suit
B. Do nothing

$EC is win at all costs, but by all means, WIN!

Hopefully, B.

As is, leaves Kent State only Alabama and Kentucky to warm up for MAC.

What? Please. It's about being able to control and rely on a consistent way of handling procedures that your own conference arrived at. You don't know about teams outside your conference. Doesn't mean it will work but it's the best you can do. Crazy how this is not completely obvious to people.
Look who you are dealing with. These types of people are not rocket surgeons for a reason.

Reactions: nits74 and Lemmus
It seems odd that teams would be working out if there was no chance of playing...

I think teams would continue to try to work out even if the season was cancelled or moved to the spring. They certainly aren't going to stop working out until it's official, though. The announcement yesterday was likely just step one. Like I said, they even included that there is a possibility of not playing at all. I think the writing is on the wall here. They are slowly preparing us for the cancellation so that when it happens it's not out of nowhere.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Cancellation of the CF season would be disastrous for UM and Jim. They're primed to not only win the B1G but the CF playoffs in 2020. National champs is a very realistic goal

There's no better than a penguin's chance in Phoenix that we will have a fall season. No AD/President in their right mind would choose to start an abbreviated season that could be shortened even further in stadiums at 20 percent capacity over a chance to play the same number of games at much less risk of further cancellation in front of larger crowds. It's just accounting.

There probably were no payments involved as this was a home-and-home series.
I saw a tweet from someone (Audrey?) yesterday stating that PSU was getting paid $500k to go to Blacksburg, and that VT would be getting paid $500k when they visit PSU. I have no idea if this is true and don't ever recall hearing about such an arrangement for a home and home series. My suspicion is that these terms might have been in place to ensure the return trip by VT happens, particularly since that game isn't scheduled until 2025. If both games happen, the net $ is zero (ignoring inflation). But if VT were to back out after PSU played at VT, PSU nets $500k. Of course now with the Blacksburg game cancellation due to COVID the entire agreement might be null and void, or may be renegotiated.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I think also this is so that with doing only conference games, it gives them more flexibilty to get games in. If you had a team or two who had to isolate for a few weeks, y
There's no better than a penguin's chance in Phoenix that we will have a fall season. No AD/President in their right mind would choose to start an abbreviated season that could be shortened even further in stadiums at 20 percent capacity over a chance to play the same number of games at much less risk of further cancellation in front of larger crowds. It's just accounting.

Hey, the Pens are 7-8-2 all time in Phoenix, that's not totally awful. lol

Reactions: Lemmus
Um, depends on the kind of penguin. I saw some really enjoying the summer weather last year, just outside of Florence, Italy. It was 105 F that day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT