ADVERTISEMENT

Football REPORT: Former Indiana HC Tom Allen to be next Penn State DC

Re his recruiting, the kids and parents really seem to love him.
He has a lot of ties with recruiting Tampa and other areas of Florida. I have a good friend close to the Atlanta-area football scene and know IU spent a lot of resources there too. Certain guys did thrive in his system. Even guys who left rarely had a bad thing to say about him. Closing on the higher rated Indiana kids, like many past IU (and PU) coaches continued to be lost to ND, UM, OSU. This wasn’t surprising, but consistently losing guys he wanted to Iowa, U of L, or UK was a bit of an issue in recent years.

Now, flip side, seemed the further he was removed from Kevin Wilson recruits (guys who had a chip on their shoulder and an attitude), on field results waned. His recruits were probably higher rated than Wilson’s but seemed to get lesser results the more the guys were his.

As mentioned in the previous post, the hiring of assistant coaches, especially coordinators, was certainly an issue. When DC, Womack left for USA to be head coach, all signs were Mike Tressel was coming from MSU as DC. Instead, he hired the dB coach from Georgia thinking he’d get a push in recruiting. And the guy was a bad fit. Meanwhile, Tressel, a big 10-lifer and Midwest recruiter, ends up with Fickell at Cincy. The hiring of unproven assistants often meant he was having to coach his assistants too…never a good thing.

Maybe it was lack of talent, maybe it was too much assistant coach turnover, maybe it was bad schemes, maybe it was too much LEO, which can grate when things aren’t going well, maybe not enough guys being held accountable with tough love (definitely not his thing), but I think all of these contributed to the slide of the last 3 years. Also, after Penix was injured for the 4th and final time there at PSU in ‘21, the QB position was handled poorly. While that’s not all his fault, he and the staff never got it fully solved either in recruiting one or developing one.

Last edited:
He has a lot of ties with recruiting Tampa and other areas of Florida. I have a good friend close to the Atlanta-area football scene and know IU spent a lot of resources there too. Certain guys did thrive in his system. Even guys who left rarely had a bad thing to say about him. Closing on the higher rated Indiana kids, like many past IU (and PU) coaches continued to be lost to ND, UM, OSU. This wasn’t surprising, but consistently losing guys he wanted to Iowa, U of L, or UK was a bit of an issue in recent years.

Now, flip side, seemed the further he was removed from Kevin Wilson recruits (guys who had a chip on their shoulder and an attitude), on field results waned. His recruits were probably higher rated than Wilson’s but seemed to get lesser results the more the guys were his.

As mentioned in the previous post, the hiring of assistant coaches, especially coordinators, was certainly an issue. When DC, Womack left for USA to be head coach, all signs were Mike Tressel was coming from MSU as DC. Instead, he hired the dB coach from Georgia thinking he’d get a push in recruiting. And the guy was a bad fit. Meanwhile, Tressel, a big 10-lifer and Midwest recruiter, ends up with Fickell at Cincy. The hiring of unproven assistants often meant he was having to coach his assistants too…never a good thing.

Maybe it was lack of talent, maybe it was too much assistant coach turnover, maybe it was bad schemes, maybe it was too much LEO, which can grate when things aren’t going well, maybe not enough guys being held accountable with tough love (definitely not his thing), but I think all of these contributed to the slide of the last 3 years. Also, after Penix was injured for the 4th and final time there at PSU in ‘21, the QB position was handled poorly. While that’s not all his fault, he and the staff never got it fully solved either in recruiting one or developing one.
What is his defensive style? It is as aggressive as Manny’s? Would be nice for continuity to have a similar attitude and system so the players adapt quickly. It took half a season last year before the team clicked on the D side. And if so he would likely offer other d coaches to stay which would also help.

Franklin always emphasized speed on D. Assuming same here or Franklin wouldn’t have hired him. Will be telling on how he fills out his assistants.

Edit: just watching video now and hear that he is a pretty aggressive, similar to Manny.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
Do we have an opening? Just curious based on your comment. DC / LB coach was the only spot that was vacant.
I am assuming he will be interviewing assistants. Some may decide to move on. He and Franklin may decide on a couple changes. Would be rare to hire a new coordinator and not make a couple changes. I would think a coordinator would want a couple of his own people on staff. Just pure speculation on my part.

Reactions: lazydave841
These coaches are paid to win for games period. I don’t care if they liked him or not bottom line, win

TA is a disciple of the 4-2-5. When he brought it as DC in ‘16, on
Wilson’s last team, the results were amazing!! Went from the season before, probably in the 120’s in total yardage and scoring D to the 50’s-60’s in both. In ‘17, his first year as HC and with a veteran D, it was great. Think IU led the country in 3 and outs and total D was probably in top 30. Unfortunately, Lagow was throwing too many picks early, got replaced by RS Frosh, Peyton Ramsey, whom they didn’t let throw much, then got hurt in late-October at MD…thus Lagow back in.

Definitely aggressive style. Problem last few years D has not been getting much pressure, even bringing extra guys or mixing up who was coming and from where. Thus DBs having to cover too long. Add in too many blown assignments in the defensive backfield when playing zone and that was a big issue. Again, run D was usually pretty solid. The ‘19 D was pretty good to get us to 8 wins. ‘20 was a very good D and forced lots of TO’s. That certainly helped Penix and the O, but by this time, OL had real difficulty running the ball, thus having to throw the ball more than anyone wanted. When Penix got hurt Thanksgiving weekend of ‘20 Vs MD, Tuttle won a big game at Wisky, then got hurt vs Ole Miss in the bowl game limiting his throwing.

Thank you very much for your time and insight. It is appreciated.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
You seem bitter about this choice Mary. Why? You think dex would have been a better choice?
Yes on Dex. I see nothing in his background showing success at a B1G level like PSU has had for 30 years. I see a very lucky guy being swept along. Every one of Franklin's DCs had more B1G level success than him. Someone explain his success on the big stage. I see him as the poster child for the extravagant largesse given to mediocrity in college football.

Yes on Dex. I see nothing in his background showing success at a B1G level like PSU has had for 30 years. I see a very lucky guy being swept along. Every one of Franklin's DCs had more B1G level success than him. Someone explain his success on the big stage. I see him as the poster child for the extravagant largesse given to mediocrity in college football.
What? Has Dex had any of the things you mentioned?

Reactions: Phil's Rug
Answer my question. You can't.
lol...ok you just had an opinion based on no facts. Here are some....When Tom Allen took over at IU in 2016, he inherited a defense that was ranked #120th in the FBS, to most improved team nationally in total defense and passing defense, the sixth-most improved in third-down defense and the ninth-most improved in points per game allowed, and ended up finishing in the top half of the FBS.

In 2018, IU finished with 26 takeaways (T-11th nationally; T-2nd in the Big Ten), 13 fumble recoveries (T-5th; 2nd), and 13 interceptions (T-33rd; T-6th).

Those are pretty solid numbers considering it is IU.

Now, his final three years as HC were brutal and marred by poor hires of his coordinators and position coaches. Sometimes, it is difficult being the CEO. As we saw with Manny, focusing on one area of strength, can prove wonders.

But, to blatantly ask what has he done at the B1G level considering he was HC of a B1G program, and Dex hasn't proven anything as a coordinator in the B1G, is ridiculous.

But can he improve those numbers with better talent? 😂

I just copied a post from someone else in regards to our new offense of coordinator. Sweet Jesus This board is off the rails of a loop-de-loop

But can he improve those numbers with better talent? 😂

I just copied a post from someone else in regards to our new offense of coordinator. Sweet Jesus This board is off the rails of a loop-de-loop
One would think having better talent at his disposal, combined with not having to tackle all the responsibilities as a HC, would give him and very good odds to be a great defense. It certainly helped with Manny. Time will tell.

One would think having better talent at his disposal, combined with not having to tackle all the responsibilities as a HC, would give him and very good odds to be a great defense. It certainly helped with Manny. Time will tell.
One certainly would. And I'm with you on time will tell. But one thing bothers me is the thinking that's been expressed by Franklin on this one. He keeps stating he wants someone with head coaching type experience. And I'm afraid that a Manny Diaz fired Coach that came back as the DC it's not readily repeated. I don't think it was Manny's head coach ing experience that made him a great DC. He was just a great DC period. Tom has some impressive numbers as DC...hopefully that is his wheelhouse, too.

Last edited:
I feel pretty good about this hire considering that Franklin has head-to-head experience coaching against Allen's IU teams over a number of years. Franklin and his staff had to game plan against Allen's defenses at IU and you would think Franklin and staff would know which teams gave the PSU offense particular issues in trying to attack them.

If he has a hot wife, it is even better.

So you have a different set of qualifications for Allen than you do Dex?

Reactions: scrivener
lol...ok you just had an opinion based on no facts. Here are some....When Tom Allen took over at IU in 2016, he inherited a defense that was ranked #120th in the FBS, to most improved team nationally in total defense and passing defense, the sixth-most improved in third-down defense and the ninth-most improved in points per game allowed, and ended up finishing in the top half of the FBS.

In 2018, IU finished with 26 takeaways (T-11th nationally; T-2nd in the Big Ten), 13 fumble recoveries (T-5th; 2nd), and 13 interceptions (T-33rd; T-6th).

Those are pretty solid numbers considering it is IU.

Now, his final three years as HC were brutal and marred by poor hires of his coordinators and position coaches. Sometimes, it is difficult being the CEO. As we saw with Manny, focusing on one area of strength, can prove wonders.

But, to blatantly ask what has he done at the B1G level considering he was HC of a B1G program, and Dex hasn't proven anything as a coordinator in the B1G, is ridiculous.
Top 50%? Is that what we want.

So you have a different set of qualifications for Allen than you do Dex?
No. I see Allen as a nice guy who took a miserable defense and took it to the upper 50%. He was also lucky to find an exceptional QB and have 1 good,season in his career. The data you describe is far below what we should expect or accept. Manny is a 10, Allen is a 7 at best. PS. I want him to sell my house when I am ready.
These guys never lose the greed for more. He accepts millions but must have more. College football is very close to being disgusting.

No. I see Allen as a nice guy who took a miserable defense and took it to the upper 50%. He was also lucky to find an exceptional QB and have 1 good,season in his career. The data you describe is far below what we should expect or accept. Manny is a 10, Allen is a 7 at best. PS. I want him to sell my house when I am ready.
These guys never lose the greed for more. He accepts millions but must have more. College football is very close to being disgusting.
Manny was like six games over .500 at Miami, if I'm not mistaken. Were u this up in arms about him when he was hired? There are many examples of HC's who ultimately get fired, or don't win enough, that then resurrect themselves as coordinators for their next stop. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: 81b&w
So then what makes Dex more qualified for the job? That’s what you keep skipping over. You wanted Dex over Allen. What qualifications does Dex have for the job over Allen? In your opinion.

Reactions: 81b&w
The upper 50% with INDIANA….its not like he had talent to work with. That’s like not hiring a manager who takes the Pirates to the playoffs because they didn’t win the World Series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT