ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirts allowed to compete in meets?

Not sure why it makes any difference if the competition is in or out of conference.

Reactions: tabenn
I love this rule...both here and for football. It will be interesting to see how the coaches deploy it.

Not sure why it makes any difference if the competition is in or out of conference.
Is the football rule the same? I was thinking about Jason's injury and if Cael would have used Berg or Verk against the OSU last season when I first heard about the rule change. I guess I don't understand the conference rule unless that is a BIG rule.

I vote for 4 meets......should cut down on forfeits and give the redshirts some excitement in front of the home crowds on occasion as well as some meaningful barometers outside the room. Lets start this year! Lots of guys I would love to see at Rec Hall

OH.....my vote means squat?? Ha.....just like at home :)

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
This is definitely not true. Not sure where Carr got that info, but the new redshirt rules only apply to football.
Definitely not true...only football, as Bob states...

12.8.3.1 Minimum Amount of Competition. Any competition, regardless of time, during a season in an intercollegiate sport shall be counted as a season of competition in that sport, except as provided in Bylaws
12.8.3.1.1, 12.8.3.1.2, 12.8.3.1.4, 12.8.3.1.5 and 12.8.3.1.6. This provision is applicable to intercollegiate athletics competition conducted by a two-year or four-year collegiate institution at the varsity or subvarsity level. (Note: The Bylaw references are unrelated to any exception for wrestling)

12.8.3.1.6 Exception—Football. [FBS/FCS] In football, a student-athlete may compete in up to four contests in a season without using a season of competition.

What am I missing? Why does wrestling need this? Wrestling red shirts can get real college competition in opens that allow red shirts/unattached wrestlers. Unlike football and other sports where they cannot get any real college level experience. Of course, it does depend on the quality of the open tourney, but I don't see the need for this for wrestling.

Maybe to fill in for an injured starter in a dual? But why else?

And I could be 100% wrong. Enlighten me.

Reactions: dicemen99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT