ADVERTISEMENT

Re-watched MSU game and read many of the post mortem posts and I come...

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
to the following conclusions...

1. As challenged as our Oline is I'm willing to give Limegrover another year due to his lack-of- experience with the RPO scheme. Now should JM leave and we adopt another scheme then it's another story.

2. I won't be disappointed if #13 doesn't see the field again. His open field blocking is atrocious.

3. For the life of me I can't figure out why MSU receivers got separation but ours didn't. Both play on the same field conditions, yes?

4. Every time we go up against an opposing QB with even a modicum of passing ability we get smoked. That zone coverage gets picked clean like a carcass on the African savanna. We got game tape. We should've seen Lewerke coming, yes??

5. Our kids weren't into it Saturday. You could tell by their body language. Too many heads were hanging. I hope the players haven't lost confidence in the scheme because if they stick together then 10-2 is probable, even with Nebraska looming. Yes, I've watched Nebraska this year but I'm not sure we can beat them given the way we're executing.

6. Juwan Johnson, aka spaghetti arms, needs to get tougher. He should've beat the defender for that pass in the EZ despite the hand checking. I know some of younz claim pass interference (and perhaps it was) but Chris Godwin would've made the play. That's one of the differences between this year and last.

7. A few plays here, a few tackles there and that game is ours. Again, if only the coaches had seen Lewerke coming. I mean, he only passed for 445 yards and 4 TDs the week before! IMHO that puts Brent Pry on notice.

Onto Rutgers. I thank you and have a blessed day.

1. As challenged as our Oline is I'm willing to give Limegrover another year due to his lack-of- experience with the RPO scheme. Now should JM leave and we adopt another scheme then it's another story.

2. I won't be disappointed if #13 doesn't see the field again. His open field blocking is atrocious.

3. For the life of me I can't figure out why MSU receivers got separation but ours didn't. Both play on the same field conditions, yes?

4. Every time we go up against an opposing QB with even a modicum of passing ability we get smoked. That zone coverage gets picked clean like a carcass on the African savanna. We got game tape. We should've seen Lewerke coming, yes??

5. Our kids weren't into it Saturday. You could tell by their body language. Too many heads were hanging. I hope the players haven't lost confidence in the scheme because if they stick together then 10-2 is probable, even with Nebraska looming. Yes, I've watched Nebraska this year but I'm not sure we can beat them given the way we're executing.

6. Juwan Johnson, aka spaghetti arms, needs to get tougher. He should've beat the defender for that pass in the EZ despite the hand checking. I know some of younz claim pass interference (and perhaps it was) but Chris Godwin would've made the play. That's one of the differences between this year and last.

7. A few plays here, a few tackles there and that game is ours. Again, if only the coaches had seen Lewerke coming. I mean, he only passed for 445 yards and 4 TDs the week before! IMHO that puts Brent Pry on notice.

Good points, Cosmos.

I think I have the answer to your #3 and #4. Our DBs are slow and MSU's DBs are fast. It think it is that simple.

Good points, Cosmos.

I think I have the answer to your #3 and #4. Our DBs are slow and MSU's DBs are fast. It think it is that simple.

Disagree about slow DB's; I think #3 and #4 highlight the lack of speed/talent at LB who are too easily moved from the middle of the field. Our DB's are big and athletic but need help from the LB's to block lanes. Also doesn't help that we can't get any pressure on the QB.

This team played with NO heart at all sat after the break is what it all came down too. They quit, they didn't want to play in that weather, and the coaches failed to get them focused. How many 3rd and 10+ situations can you have and still give up first down yardage?

This team played with NO heart at all sat after the break is what it all came down too. They quit, they didn't want to play in that weather, and the coaches failed to get them focused. How many 3rd and 10+ situations can you have and still give up first down yardage?

Barkley supposedly said 'We're playing for a championship,' to an MSU LB noting OSU was losing. I didn't see the lack of heart/motivation as much as I saw a lot of lack of execution (Allen late hit, TCF dropping INT, Thompkins dropping 4th down conversion, etc.).

Ok here we go -
1. Limegrover widely considered one of the best offensive line coaches in the nation. Sometimes you don’t have the horses.
2. Probably our best playmaker at wr so that’s that.
3. I got no problem with your comment.
4. You don’t plan on poor execution. Wasn’t enough pressure on the qb. That’s on the players.
5. They played on the road lost by 3 in the rain in a game that took 7 hours. What do you expect. Of course they were in to it.
6. Spaghetti arms ? This guy is a freak athlete. Get a clue.
7. so why the above. Psu lost to a very good team on the road under unprecedented conditions. It’s not the end of the world. You play that game ten times and with our talent we probably win 7 out of 10.

I think we have some pretty athletic guys at the corners. But their athleticism is underutilized in a zone scheme. Zone has gotten torched the last two weeks. Time for new D schemes going forward.

Reactions: Ski
I don't think our CB's are a problem. Our pass rush is. So we blitz a ton, still don't get that good of a rush, but our CB's are forced to play soft and not get beat deep. Add in our S are not good pass defenders and you have a susceptible pass defense.

The good news is that no other team we play has a good pass offense.

Reactions: lyndj and BBrown
I don't think our CB's are a problem. Our pass rush is. So we blitz a ton, still don't get that good of a rush, but our CB's are forced to play soft and not get beat deep. Add in our S are not good pass defenders and you have a susceptible pass defense.

The good news is that no other team we play has a good pass offense.

MSU's QB was great about recognizing our blitz and throwing at it. Did it time and time again Saturday. LB's and/or DB's just too slow to pick up coverage.

MSU's QB was great about recognizing our blitz and throwing at it. Did it time and time again Saturday. LB's and/or DB's just too slow to pick up coverage.
Agree...and this is because we HAVE TO BLITZ to get any kind of pass rush. As such, the blitz is the norm and not the exception. When you know a blitz is coming, its much easier.

You hit the nail on the head. If you are going to blitz frequently then you better have very fast cover people. We don't and it cost us over and over in the last 2 games.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Yea something is up with Saeed. I thought it was still maybe some nagging injury but I just have a feeling its something else. I hate going the "body language" route but here I go....after Saeed scores on a beautiful run on 4th down he comes back to the sideline with no emotion at all. I mean his teammates were going bonkers for him but he seemed completely nonplussed.

Disagree about slow DB's; I think #3 and #4 highlight the lack of speed/talent at LB who are too easily moved from the middle of the field. Our DB's are big and athletic but need help from the LB's to block lanes. Also doesn't help that we can't get any pressure on the QB.

Or that MSU completes the pass right where our blitzing LBR (who was probably about 8 yrds from the LOS) was.

Barkley supposedly said 'We're playing for a championship,' to an MSU LB noting OSU was losing. I didn't see the lack of heart/motivation as much as I saw a lot of lack of execution (Allen late hit, TCF dropping INT, Thompkins dropping 4th down conversion, etc.).

That is drum I've been banging since Sat. evening. A Trace INT that was a sure TD if thrown correctly, Barkely dropping a huge pass...Even with the lack of a running game the plays were there and were dialed up they just didnt' make them.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Yea something is up with Saeed. I thought it was still maybe some nagging injury but I just have a feeling its something else. I hate going the "body language" route but here I go....after Saeed scores on a beautiful run on 4th down he comes back to the sideline with no emotion at all. I mean his teammates were going bonkers for him but he seemed completely nonplussed.
All these guys are young kids. Saeed might realize that he has 4 more games to play and then his career is over. He has tons of talent and maybe he thinks he should have done better. Maybe he thinks if he would have worked harder he would have NFL potential. I don't know what he is thinking but he is a young guy and may have these kind of thoughts.

Reactions: BBrown

Saeed's body language said something different to me: I can do this all the time if someone throws me the damned ball.

Reactions: BBrown
As to our defensive woes... we had issues coming into the season with the DL. We all knew it. But things were looking pretty good until we lost arguably our 2 best linemen. We simply have neither the depth nor girth to go toe-to-toe with the big guys -- especially 3 weeks in a row with huge, physical teams like that.

Going to need more time and depth, but it will come.

You hit the nail on the head. If you are going to blitz frequently then you better have very fast cover people. We don't and it cost us over and over in the last 2 games.

We aren't very deep in the secondary, so we are relying on the same players too much. Running on a soggy field isn't easy and it takes a lot out of you, MSU was rotating in fresh WRs on nearly every down. Campbell has been getting beat easily since his injury against OSU, don't think he is 100% and that is costing us. Also doesn't help when you have a LB lining up against a WR, expecting WAY too much there... and he would release the WR into an open zone leaving him wide open for an easy gain.

Reactions: royboy and BBrown
We aren't very deep in the secondary, so we are relying on the same players too much. Running on a soggy field isn't easy and it takes a lot out of you, MSU was rotating in fresh WRs on nearly every down. Campbell has been getting beat easily since his injury against OSU, don't think he is 100% and that is costing us. Also doesn't help when you have a LB lining up against a WR, expecting WAY too much there... and he would release the WR into an open zone leaving him wide open for an easy gain.
A virtual how-to guide for:

Allowing 400 yards passing to a QB most of us hadn't heard much about

ugh...

#6 if you look at the replay in the EZ shoulda been a PI call as the DB had a fist full of JJ"s pants.. It was a blown call for sure and before you think I'm just sour, watch it again. It was Blatant

Ok here we go -
1. Limegrover widely considered one of the best offensive line coaches in the nation. Sometimes you don’t have the horses.
2. Probably our best playmaker at wr so that’s that.
3. I got no problem with your comment.
4. You don’t plan on poor execution. Wasn’t enough pressure on the qb. That’s on the players.
5. They played on the road lost by 3 in the rain in a game that took 7 hours. What do you expect. Of course they were in to it.
6. Spaghetti arms ? This guy is a freak athlete. Get a clue.
7. so why the above. Psu lost to a very good team on the road under unprecedented conditions. It’s not the end of the world. You play that game ten times and with our talent we probably win 7 out of 10.

This is exactly what I would write. No matter what people want to believe, its tough for College kids to travel and win on the road, especially against a good team. Throw in the three hour delay, and we still lost in the last second. We beat them at our field under normal conditions every time.

Defense and running games travel, and play in crappy weather. To take it to the next level, we need to get better.

That sounds suspect without some context because I'm guessing there was some trash-talking geared at Barkley before that.

That sounds suspect without some context because I'm guessing there was some trash-talking geared at Barkley before that.

Reported here - not sure of the source or context.

Reported here - not sure of the source or context.

Yes, I know it was SBNation article. So one MSU player claims he said it to him and the other said he heard the same thing. I don't think it's something Saquon would just blurt out to an opponent just because. Not saying that he doesn't trash talk, I think they all do, but I think some of that was definitely happening in this game. Their team plays nasty. It works for them.

I noticed that also. He even seemed to blow off the congrats from the coaches. Might have a burr in his saddle about lack of PT. Something definitely seemed amiss with his reaction.

Didn't it seem at times that our guy coming on the blitz had a lot of field to cover before he got to the QB ? Hiding and disguising the blitz versus coming from too damn far away to make a difference on the rush , yet vacating a passing lane seemed to happen a few times.

Didn't it seem at times that our guy coming on the blitz had a lot of field to cover before he got to the QB ? Hiding and disguising the blitz versus coming from too damn far away to make a difference on the rush , yet vacating a passing lane seemed to happen a few times.

Yep

Concerning JJ he was definitely held by the pants. However he needed to be more aggressive and go up for the ball. He had 20 lbs or more on the defender. To me it appeared he let the ball come to him rather than making an effort go get the ball. I think it's a teaching moment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT