ADVERTISEMENT

Rank your matches in recent history

Not on the list but my favorite is Q vs Kilgore and then a bunch of Ruth’s matches
Ed Ruth's match where he took down Mack Lewnes 4 or 5 times when he hadn't been taken down the entire year was a classic beat down. Then beating Mack Lewnes and Chris Heinrich in dominating fashion, wrestling back through consi's were great matches after Ed's knee locked up in the semi's.

Ruth's dismantling of Nick Amuchestagui after hearing the "he gave up crap" from the Mad Flapper's in Iowa and then majoring him in the finals the next year was one of the most satisfying wins I've ever had the privilege of seeing from Easy Ed.

David Taylor cradling Conrad Polz of Illinois was a favorite match because Conrad tried to outmuscle DT and DT used technique to bend him like a pretzel as every vein in Conrad was popping. Lol

Nico beating Thomas Gilman to win a title as a senior.

Jordan Conaway's win versus Tyler Graff was one of the loudest I've ever heard at Rec Hall.

The loss by Nick Nevills will be a match I'll never forget as I though a major was inevitable and Nick... wrestled his heart out and REC HALL went... NUTSO.

DT... versus anyone from Iowa was classic. He showed how far Iowa was from the rest of the pack in technical wrestling and that the Iowa way of pushing and shoving opponents was always obsolete.

Q versus Kilgore with the match were David beat Goliath yet again and the CLUB to the head tactics "Goliath" implored was like a Neanderthal clubbing his disobedient cave woman or Dino the Dinosaur Dog.

Q versus Scott Schiller of Minnesota at Nationals with the sagging head lock for the pin.

James English beating defending Champ Kendric Maple to take 7th at Nationals. One of the most guttiest performances/matches I've ever seen a Penn State wrestler wrestle.

Morgan McIntosh beating Kyle Snyder.

All the finals matches from 2017 National Championships.

Ed Ruth beating Gabe Dean in the semifinals after losing to him in the regular season and then Bo Nickal defeating Gabe Dean in the finals with a completely different physique than Gabe had. I think many didn't have Bo winning which was the same as Q versus Gilgore. Never count out the guy who has better technique. Q shrugged Kilgore three or four times in the that match and Kilgore never figured it out. Go figure??? Lol

Last edited:
Ed Ruth's match where he took down Mack Lewnes 4 or 5 times when he hadn't been taken down the entire year was a classic beat down. Then beating Mack Lewnes and Chris Heinrich in beatdown's wrestling back through consi's were great matches.

Ruth's dismantling of Nick Amuchestagui after hearing the "he gave up crap" from the Mad Flapper's in Iowa and then majoring him in the finals the next year was one of the most satisfying wins I've ever had the privilege of seeing from Easy Ed.

David Taylor cradling Conrad Polz of Illinois was a favorite match because Conrad tried to outmuscle DT and DT used technique to bend him like a pretzel as every vein in Conrad was popping. Lol

Nico beating Thomas Gilman to win a title as a senior.

Jordan Conaway's win versus Tyler Graff was one of the loudest I've ever heard at Rec Hall.

The loss by Nick Nevills will be a match I'll never forget as I though a major was inevitable and Nick... wrestled his heart out and REC HALL went... NUTSO.

DT... versus anyone from Iowa was classic. He showed how far Iowa was from the rest of the pack in technical wrestling and that the Iowa way of pushing and shoving opponents was always obsolete.

Q versus Kilgore with the match were David beat Goliath yet again and the CLUB to the head tactics "Goliath" implored was like a Neanderthal clubbing his disobedient cave woman or Dino the Dinosaur Dog.

Q versus Scott Schiller of Minnesota at Nationals with the sagging head lock for the pin.

James English beating defending Champ Kendric Maple to take 7th at Nationals. One of the most guttiest performances/matches I've ever seen a Penn State wrestler wrestle.

Morgan McIntosh beating Kyle Snyder.

All the finals matches from 2017 National Championships.

Ed Ruth beating Gabe Dean in the finals after losing to him in the regular season and then Bo Nickal defeating Gabe Dean in the finals with a completely different physique than Gabe had. I think many didn't have Bo winning which was the same as Q versus Gilgore. Never count out the guy who has better technique. Q shrugged Kilgore three or four times in the that match and Kilgore never figured it out. Go figure??? Lol

Ruth beat Sheptock in the finals .... beat Dean in Semis

1. Cenzo pinning Imar
2. Bo pinning Nickal
3. Cenzo Imar 2: Electric Boogaloo

EDIT - I'm leaving my mistake as is, because maybe Bo IS that good.

Last edited:
Another match I enjoyed in the Caelera was Sore'n Eagle getting beat last NCAAs by Perry. One I was going nuts for LHU and Perry, but when I realized what this did to the bracket a day later it was the cherry on top to that match.

Agreed. Having Sorensen down there waiting for Ke-Shawn to drop (which he almost avoided, vs Heilmann in the Qtrs, 1-2 TB1--man that was tight) was an incredible boon to this year's title.

Really helped offset Nevills' injury.

2. Bo pinning Nickal
EDIT - I'm leaving my mistake as is, because maybe Bo IS that good.

You know who really IS that good? IMAR! #keepholdingon #neverletgo ;)

_DH49028

The thing about Bo pinning Martin and pinning Brooks with the spladle is that each came (1) right after losses by Hall that looked like they could have turned things around for the bad guys, (2) were in enemy territory, and (3) came off the other guy’s shot in the first period that appeared to pile on the backward momentum due to (1).

The rest is history.

The thing about Bo pinning Martin and pinning Brooks with the spladle is that each came (1) right after losses by Hall that looked like they could have turned things around for the bad guys, (2) were in enemy territory, and (3) came off the other guy’s shot in the first period that appeared to pile on the backward momentum due to (1).

The rest is history.
He’s our Mariano Rivera.

The rest is history.

Never shoot on Bo. You're better off letting him take you down.

My favorite of all time was Caleb Livingston's 1st period pin against Northwestern in the senior's only Rec Hall match of his career.
The only other dual meet he wrestled wasn't too bad either. Taking one for the team, he moved up from 165 to heavyweight against
Rider and only gave up a major. Believe me Caleb, you are not forgotten...........

I’m a sucker for an underdog story, so after all the marquee moments mentioned above, I loved Jan Johnson getting a win vs. Lock Haven. Gutty performance, gave it his all... standing ovation.. a great part of what college wrestling is all about...

My favorite of all time was Caleb Livingston's 1st period pin against Northwestern in the senior's only Rec Hall match of his career.
The only other dual meet he wrestled wasn't too bad either. Taking one for the team, he moved up from 165 to heavyweight against
Rider and only gave up a major. Believe me Caleb, you are not forgotten...........

We were sitting near Zain at the NLO and he was talking about Caleb moving up to 285 and all the eating and drinking Caleb had to do to get to the minimum weight. With a smile, Zain said "he's committed". :D

Great point! Every time you let Bo take you down you give him two but save yourself six—that’s a gain of 4 points. So just let him take you down 4 times and you win by tech fall. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
There was that one 2nd Period takedown he gave up during the 2017-18 dual meet season :). His stats are other-worldly...

I will sit back and thoroughly enjoy watching Bo's one last year in a Penn State singlet...

There was that one 2nd Period takedown he gave up during the 2017-18 dual meet season :). His stats are other-worldly...

I will sit back and thoroughly enjoy watching Bo's one last year in a Penn State singlet...

How many times did he wrestle in the second period? It would be interesting to see total minutes wrestled all by period. Third would be pretty low. Hard to give up takedowns if the match is over!

Reactions: Ja1339
For me:
1. Bo elevator vs. Martin
2. Cenzo pinning Martinez (also my all-time favorite Byers call)
3. Q overhead standing cradle vs. Gambrall
4. Zain OT over Stieber
5. James English beating returning champ Maple at nationals

To throw out a few more memorable matches:
Nico beating Gilman to finally win the title
Jason pinning the then career undefeated Martinez
Molinaro B10 finals tech over Ness -- the smiling turk match
Q beating the unbeatable Kilgore
Ruth over Hamlin -- just turned it on in the 3rd
Taylor 11 sec pin over Clarion
Taylor 24 sec pin over Kokesh
Zain pinning Pantaleo in the dual
Zain pinning Pantaleo at nationals -- where he spun Pantaleo around with the bow and arrow before settling for the right spot to turn him
McIntosh beating Snyder at B10s
Lynch beating Marion

Same wavelength as you... good choices

Not a match, but a move -

The midair-granby-into-go-behind, while dead-to-rights on a mat return, that DT hit on the Iowa kid in the B1G title match his senior year ....

I saw it live.
Saw it 50+ times on replay.

I still can’t figure out how he pulled that off.

Not a match, but a move -

The midair-granby-into-go-behind, while dead-to-rights on a mat return, that DT hit on the Iowa kid in the B1G title match his senior year ....

I saw it live.
Saw it 50+ times on replay.

I still can’t figure out how he pulled that off.
Magic.

Also this breakdown courtesy of BSD:

super3_medium.gif

Reactions: diggerpup
Matt Brown up two weight classes filling in for Morgan McIntosh and knocking off ranked Max Huntley was fun.
So was watching McIntosh turning Sammy Brooks into a pretzel....

My three recent favorites in order are:
1. Cenzo over IMAR
2. Zain over Steiber
3. Jason over IMAR

Last edited:
I enjoyed Nelson losing to Gwiz. will never forget it, along with the face of the goofer fan I screamed at.

#probablydoesntcount
#rulesaremeanttobebroken
#wrestlingstartedin2011

...and Jammen is still really pissed about getting yelled at :)

Reactions: nitlion6
Which led to what might be the greatest loss in wrestling history. I don't know that anyone wants to own that title, but when you're up against Captain America, with the weight of your team on your shoulders, and you avoid a 13 point (?) loss, with the crowd reaching fever pitch levels with every point you score and every point you avoid giving up, it's pretty awesome.

Agree. And a close second was Kuhn's loss to Nato. That was without a doubt the most incredible dual I've ever witnessed live, and I was absolutely out of my mind when Kuhn tossed Nato into the scorers table.

I am surprised there hasn't been more love given to Cassar over Moore, the then ranked #1. Cassar had the weight of our team dual win streak squarely on his shoulders, and Cael gave him the nod and his trust over Shak. He really controlled the match and ripped the heart out of Tom and his boys. That win also set the stage for one of Nick's greatest matches ever as well. How soon we forget... not me. Thanks for that one AC I will be thinking about it 10 years from now.

Last edited:
speaking of Moore one of his best matches last year was getting decked by Conel. Wont soon forget that either.

ps- the twofer on backside was great

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT