ADVERTISEMENT

Rank your matches in recent history

dicemen99

Nov 15, 2005
The 3 timer thread and Flos question about Nickals pin as the most iconic in NCAA history got me thinking about which PSU bouts I have enjoyed the most. Cael era.

Nickal pinning Martin to win the title?
Cenzo over Imar I?
Q pinning Gambrall?
Nickal sticking Brooks in the dual?
Nolf over Imar?
Nolfs destruction of Micah?
Zain torturing Sorensen in the finals?
Zain over Steiber?
Cassar over Moore?
Ruth teching Storley in semis? Smoking Amuch in finals?
Andrew Altons headlock of beauty over I forget who?
DT riding the snot unimpressively out of Mike Evans?
Matt Brown riding the snot out of Mike Evans unimpressively any number of times?
Conaway over Graf?

I was going to say rank your top five, but there have been so many that rank your top 10 if your so inclined. I know I've missed quite a few off the top of my head.

I'm leaning towards Cenzo Imar for my #1, but not sure. I'll think on it and post mine later.

Last edited:
Number 2 is Bo's pin of Martin. Ohio State had won the 2 previous Big10 titles, they pushed the dual unbeaten streak to the limit, they took an NCAA commanding Thursday lead, a post QF lead and Martin came loaded for bear against Bo.
Martin took Bo down and Bo went to his back and then KA BOOM!
Just as Ohio State thinks they have climbed the mountain, Bo literally throws the Bucks over the cliff and off the mountain.

Number 3 is holy hell did you see that. Oh my God. Vincenzo just wore Imar out and pinned his ass.

Reactions: diggerpup
Q's pin of Gambrall for me has to be number 1. Simply because that was the moment. People were unaware yet, but that was the moment king of the hill became a Lion.
It well may have been the most important. And I enjoyed the heck out of it, especially being in the stands in Philly.
I think I got the most excited over Cenzo Imar. I almost leaped through the roof. Not sure, maybe Nickal Martin as well.
I don't think I've enjoyed a match more than Nickal spladling Brooks. And then cupping the ear. Blackhatting the blackhats. It doesn't get much better than that.

The 3 timer thread and Flos question about Nickals pin as the most iconic in NCAA history got me thinking about which PSU bouts I have enjoyed the most. Cael era.

Nickal pinning Martin to win the title?
Cenzo over Imar I?
Q pinning Gambrall?
Nickal sticking Brooks in the dual?
Nolf over Imar?
Nolfs destruction of Micah?
Zain torturing Sorensen in the finals?
Zain over Steiber?
Cassar over Moore?
Ruth teching Storley in semis? Smoking Amuch in finals?
Andrew Altons headlock of beauty over I forget who?
DT riding the snot unimpressively out of Mike Evans?
Matt Brown riding the snot out of Mike Evans unimpressively any number of times?
Conaway over Graf?

I was going to say rank your top five, but there have been so many that rank your top 10 if your so inclined. I know I've missed quite a few off the top of my head.

I'm leaning towards Cenzo Imar for my #1, but not sure. I'll think on it and post mine later.
Not on the list but my favorite is Q vs Kilgore and then a bunch of Ruth’s matches

For me:
1. Bo elevator vs. Martin
2. Cenzo pinning Martinez (also my all-time favorite Byers call)
3. Q overhead standing cradle vs. Gambrall
4. Zain OT over Stieber
5. James English beating returning champ Maple at nationals

To throw out a few more memorable matches:
Nico beating Gilman to finally win the title
Jason pinning the then career undefeated Martinez
Molinaro B10 finals tech over Ness -- the smiling turk match
Q beating the unbeatable Kilgore
Ruth over Hamlin -- just turned it on in the 3rd
Taylor 11 sec pin over Clarion
Taylor 24 sec pin over Kokesh
Zain pinning Pantaleo in the dual
Zain pinning Pantaleo at nationals -- where he spun Pantaleo around with the bow and arrow before settling for the right spot to turn him
McIntosh beating Snyder at B10s
Lynch beating Marion

Bo over MyMar in the finals tops my list. Just the whole way tOSU invited Flo into their Camp to document their championship didn’t sit well with me. They had already crowned themselves. Then, having the championship on the line for Bo v MyMar... and watching tOSU gorge themselves on victory for about 2-seconds before Bo swung the emotional pendulum for the entire wrestling world 180-deg. It was beautiful.
#2 is Cenzo’s pin.
#3 is Zains win over Stieber.
No others come close for me.

Bo over MyMar in the finals tops my list. Just the whole way tOSU invited Flo into their Camp to document their championship didn’t sit well with me. They had already crowned themselves. Then, having the championship on the line for Bo v MyMar... and watching tOSU gorge themselves on victory for about 2-seconds before Bo swung the emotional pendulum for the entire wrestling world 180-deg. It was beautiful.
#2 is Cenzo’s pin.
#3 is Zains win over Stieber.
No others come close for me.
“Document their championship”. Good way to put it. I’ve said it a few times - they thought they had it in the bag after Nolf got hurt and weren’t too shy about acting like it. It will be fun to roll them this year. Hopefully Lee shuts McKenna up - he was one of the cockiest.

Hold your horses . . . it may not have been a championship match, but in terms of theatrical excitement Cassar's victory over Moore takes the cake. With Nolf injured and OSU strutting out on the mat with their "victors" robes, Cassar's domination of Moore was the shot heard around the wrestling world. It told everyone (including OSU) that the Lions were not out of it. It set the table for the National Championships in our minds and also in the minds of others. With all of the national champions in both lineups, this might have been the greatest dual ever.

Last edited:
I can't think of any that haven't already been brought up except Bo beating then #1 Brian Realbuto at the Southern Scuffle in his rs freshman year. By that time Nickal had already beaten Epperly, then #3, but it was a conservative match and there was still debate as to how good he was going to be.

The Realbuto match was everything that's great about wrestling. Realbuto got the first TD, and Bo got the next two, leaving Bo ahead 5-4 at the end of the first. In the second Realbuto locked a nearside cradle on Bo and nearly pinned him with it, going up 7-5. Bo reversed almost immediately after that with double overs, tying the score. From a seated position, Bo took a risk trying to roll Realbuto through to his back. Realbuto--who has great instincts--recognized it and tried to turn in against the vulnerable Nickal but was unable to and Bo wound up getting backpoints to end the second 11-7. That last sequence seemed to take place in slow motion and it was the entire match.

Bo started the third on bottom and quickly reversed Realbuto by turning into him as Realbuto tried to do the same thing that worked for Bo at the end of the second. 13-7 and Realbuto was out of gas. Bo out-creatived the then-most creative wrestler at 174.

For me:
1. Bo elevator vs. Martin
2. Cenzo pinning Martinez (also my all-time favorite Byers call)
3. Q overhead standing cradle vs. Gambrall
4. Zain OT over Stieber
5. James English beating returning champ Maple at nationals

To throw out a few more memorable matches:
Nico beating Gilman to finally win the title
Jason pinning the then career undefeated Martinez
Molinaro B10 finals tech over Ness -- the smiling turk match
Q beating the unbeatable Kilgore
Ruth over Hamlin -- just turned it on in the 3rd
Taylor 11 sec pin over Clarion
Taylor 24 sec pin over Kokesh
Zain pinning Pantaleo in the dual
Zain pinning Pantaleo at nationals -- where he spun Pantaleo around with the bow and arrow before settling for the right spot to turn him
McIntosh beating Snyder at B10s
Lynch beating Marion
Conaway beating Graff was pretty exciting and is worth an honorable mention!

1. Cassar over Moore
1A.. Zain Over Steiber I actually felt rec hall swaying during both of these matches
3. Q over Gambrall We're here and we're here to stay
4. Bo over Martin That's what we do here
5. Nolf over IMar
5A. Cenzo over IMar I have huge respect for IMar but these were exciting
7. D Taylor over "insert name here" he always brought the fans to their feet
8. Nico over Gilman Noone has ever deserved it more (some as much but none more)
Davis over Michalac revenge for a championship
I enjoyed watching Jeremy Hunter and Sonny Abe as well
too many guys deserve to be mentioned

Reactions: jtothemfp
Another match I enjoyed in the Caelera was Sore'n Eagle getting beat last NCAAs by Perry. One I was going nuts for LHU and Perry, but when I realized what this did to the bracket a day later it was the cherry on top to that match.

#whataseasonitwas
#whatateamwewitnessed

Cenzo pinning IMar by a hair over Bo pinning MyMar for individual & team titles. Bo's pin had more riding on it and it was an amazing moment. However, rightly or wrongly, we've come to "expect" these type of moments from Bo. I don't think ANYONE expected Cenzo to pin the two time Champ, IMar, as a freshman, so that makes it my fave.

Reactions: Afw6006
More honorable mention candidates:
Q pinning Wilps with the figure 4 headlock out of left field
Jason vs. Bethea at the Keystone

Also lest we forget: Ruth curb stomping Lewnes at the Scuffle. Cornell, prohibitive national title favorites, put on notice.

Reactions: Dogwelder
More honorable mention candidates:
Q pinning Wilps with the figure 4 headlock out of left field
Jason vs. Bethea at the Keystone

Also lest we forget: Ruth curb stomping Lewnes at the Scuffle. Cornell, prohibitive national title favorites, put on notice.

Ruth and Taylor at the Scuffle their RS Frosh year was a HUGE eye opener. Lewnes had given up 1 TD the entire previous season and Ruth had 3 or 4 TDs and was in on another at the buzzer.

Haven't seen it listed, so I'll add Mark Hall vs. Zach Brunson (Illinois) in their 2017 dual matchup. 17-1 tech. It was a much closer match the next time around, but at the time I was thrilled with the result. I remember thinking, "Wow. That was so much better than a Geno Morelli match."

Probably big for me. Zain against Sorenson at CHA a few years ago. I was in attendance. Reports of Zain having the flu. They were tied and the CHA crowd was on its feet as it went into overtime.Zain ended up winning, I believe on riding time. Most were nice however a few were hostile... "stalling". I just smiled.... " he's closing the gap"

All matches listed above are excellent. I would add Bo's major decision over Martin at the tOSU dual this year. Bo wrestled every second of that match and got the 2 NF points as time expired to give him the major decision 10-2. That extra point was the difference in Penn State's 19-18 fantastic come from behind victory at Rec Hall.

Hold your horses . . . it may not have been a championship match, but in terms of theatrical excitement Cassar's victory over Moore takes the cake. With Nolf injured and OSU strutting out on the mat with their "victors" robes, Cassar's domination of Moore was the shot heard around the wrestling world. It told everyone (including OSU) that the Lions were not out of it. It set the table for the National Championships in our minds and also in the minds of others. With all of the national champions in both lineups, this might have been the greatest dual ever.
Which led to what might be the greatest loss in wrestling history. I don't know that anyone wants to own that title, but when you're up against Captain America, with the weight of your team on your shoulders, and you avoid a 13 point (?) loss, with the crowd reaching fever pitch levels with every point you score and every point you avoid giving up, it's pretty awesome.

Haven't seen it listed, so I'll add Mark Hall vs. Zach Brunson (Illinois) in their 2017 dual matchup. 17-1 tech. It was a much closer match the next time around, but at the time I was thrilled with the result. I remember thinking, "Wow. That was so much better than a Geno Morelli match."
Speaking of Brunson ... Bo sticking him after getting Brunsoned.

Beitz pinning Kindig is one that may not be mentioned. Given the significance for the meet results that was huge. In a “normal” world this was huge.

For me the top 3 are listed in medal order.
Bronze: Nolf over Imar. If one remembers the "experts" were stating that Imar could go undeafeted in his career. I remember the one camera angle with the Illinois coaching staff in disbelief.
Silver: Cenzo over Imar. As a fan I remember Cenzo closing the gap on Imar in the previous matches. As I was watching it I said to a couple friends Imar was getting tired and better be careful on a tie up. 10 seconds later he was his back. Cenzo celebration withfamwith was great
Gold. Bo's win over Martin for all the marbles. I don't think there was a Penn State fan that for a second didn't think "oh no"" Then we witnessed one of the greatest counters in college history. The camera showing the Ohio State fan base reaction was precious. Bo's adrenaline filled interview was the icing on the cake.

Everyone's list is worthy of recognition, many others too.

I see it was noted above, though I'll mention the 2017 NCAA Finals again. Every PSU Finalist's bout was a great win, but add them up, match-after-match, winning five consecutively, caused for me a feeling that night in March that I've rarely felt. By the end of Bo's win vs Dean, after watching Zain, Jason, Cenzo, and Mark win against the likes of Mayes, Lavallee, Martinez, and Jordan, it was euphoric. Never done before, likely never repeated, once-a-lifetime experience. It's an example of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts.

149: #1 Zain Retherford, PENN STATE over #3 Lavion Mayes, Missouri -- 18-2 (TF; 6:42)
157: #1 Jason Nolf, PENN STATE over #3 Joey Lavallee, Missouri -- 14-6 maj. dec.
165: #3 Vincenzo Joseph, PENN STATE over #1 Isaiah Martinez, Illinois -- WBF (5:25)
174: #5 Mark Hall, PENN STATE over #3 Bo Jordan, Ohio State -- 5-2 dec.
184: #2 Bo Nickal, PENN STATE over #1 Gabe Dean, Cornell -- 4-3 dec.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
and snyder's tweets

I didnt mind the capt america tweets..... the one that made me a saucy was the bucks new friends for finals.....

#innerfanaticshowing
#keepyourfriendscloseandenemyscloser
#gotissues

Probably big for me. Zain against Sorenson at CHA a few years ago. I was in attendance. Reports of Zain having the flu. They were tied and the CHA crowd was on its feet as it went into overtime.Zain ended up winning, I believe on riding time. Most were nice however a few were hostile... "stalling". I just smiled.... " he's closing the gap"
Followed up by the NCAA semi's, where Zain closed the gap between Sorenson's head and his feet

zain-retherford-of-the-penn-state-nittany-lions-puts-brandon-sorensen-picture-id654648958

It well may have been the most important. And I enjoyed the heck out of it, especially being in the stands in Philly.
I think I got the most excited over Cenzo Imar. I almost leaped through the roof. Not sure, maybe Nickal Martin as well.
I don't think I've enjoyed a match more than Nickal spladling Brooks. And then cupping the ear. Blackhatting the blackhats. It doesn't get much better than that.

First one in CHA - 38 seconds

636205526434587183-IOW-0120-Iowa-vs-PSU-wrestling-12.jpg

Second one in 1:01

ADVERTISEMENT