ADVERTISEMENT

Raise your hand if you miss this guy...

My hand is raised a mile high. I’m 65 and will be fortunate to ever see another player of his caliber. Saquon Barkley is the total package and the most enjoyable player to watch and to cheer for. It’s amazing what his affect is having on our running back recruiting. If we end up getting Lee and Berger added to Holmes in the 2020 class on top of Slade, Brown, Cain and Ford, we will without any doubt have the most talented running back room in college football. Yes it will be difficult if not impossible to keep them all happy and on-board with the transfer portal in play, but what a great situation to have.

My hand is raised a mile high. I’m 65 and will be fortunate to ever see another player of his caliber. Saquon Barkley is the total package and the most enjoyable player to watch and to cheer for. It’s amazing what his affect is having on our running back recruiting. If we end up getting Lee and Berger added to Holmes in the 2020 class on top of Slade, Brown, Cain and Ford, we will without any doubt have the most talented running back room in college football. Yes it will be difficult if not impossible to keep them all happy and on-board with the transfer portal in play, but what a great situation to have.
Ditto old fart here.There may be one a decade.Talk about not only a great person and player but he is a great recruiter.Like you said kids want to come to PSU

We're going to see #26 when the Giants come to town. First football player I'd ever pay money just to see him play; Sit in 100 degree heat and drink $20 beers. Worth it. Dude is like the Mile Davis of football. He just jams.

I’ll take a different tact. No doubt he was a special player but so were a bunch of others that came through here-in s number of positions. We have a great future to look forward to.

I do miss Barkley. Best Penn State RB ever and likely the best Nittany Lion football player regardless of position. That said, the clip showed a good catch, but certainly not a “Madden cheat code”

Reactions: JoeFi and PS4814
I do miss Barkley. Best Penn State RB ever and likely the best Nittany Lion football player regardless of position. That said, the clip showed a good catch, but certainly not a “Madden cheat code”
More than the best Penn State running back ever, Saquon is the best running back ever to play for a team (college or pro) in Pennsylvania. Nobody else is even close.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
I was trying to think of a nice way of putting it and you did just that. He had several "Madden cheat code" runs during his rookie season - a downfield catch and run during practice doesn't exactly equal those plays.

More than the best Penn State running back ever, Saquon is the best running back ever to play for a team (college or pro) in Pennsylvania. Nobody else is even close.
I surely disliked the guy and their team but Tony Dorsett was an elite back

Edit. Not saying one or the other is the best. “Not even close” is what I am responding to in this post

Last edited:
I was trying to think of a nice way of putting it and you did just that. He had several "Madden cheat code" runs during his rookie season - a downfield catch and run during practice doesn't exactly equal those plays.
It’s just the way people try to grab attention... If I had a dollar for every link I have clicked on that promised to blow my mind, but didn’t, I’d have a lot of money.

While I certainly miss Saquon, I was expecting to see a pic of Joe Pa when I clicked this thread.

tv-hbo-joe_paterno_film_36887_c0-207-2692-1776_s885x516.jpg

Last edited:
Barkley is a once in a generation talent, obviously. He does things in games that nobody has ever seen before. Every game has a wow moment. It's absurd how awesome he is. Throw in his humility, respect for the game and work ethic and you have the perfect star for the NFL.

Great football player but even more important a better person. How can you not cheer for this guy?
No kidding. Take another look at that video the OP posted. He just beat the DB (No. 31) for a TD, yet the DB congratulates him after the play. I know they're teammates, but Saquon just beat him for a TD, which would have many DB's leaving the field in embarrassment or anger. This guy gave Saquon a low five and clapped him on the helmet.

Reactions: odshowtime
Barkley is a once in a generation talent, obviously. He does things in games that nobody has ever seen before. Every game has a wow moment. It's absurd how awesome he is. Throw in his humility, respect for the game and work ethic and you have the perfect star for the NFL.

With all due respect to Barkley he has a long way to go until he touches anything close to what Barry Sanders did in college or the pros. I have never seen anything even remotely like what Sanders did at Oklahoma State in one season. He amassed 2735 yards from scrimmage in 11 games and 37 TDs. That is 3.3 TDs a game! Barkley is a phenomenal player. Sanders was like some kind of robot from the future.

With all due respect to Barkley he has a long way to go until he touches anything close to what Barry Sanders did in college or the pros. I have never seen anything even remotely like what Sanders did at Oklahoma State in one season. He amassed 2735 yards from scrimmage in 11 games and 37 TDs. That is 3.3 TDs a game! Barkley is a phenomenal player. Sanders was like some kind of robot from the future.

Before my time watching cfb but if defenses from the Big 8 back then are anything like the Big 12 are now I'd hazard a guess that Barkley could approach those numbers.

I know this is “what could have been”, but when I meet the guy upstairs I am going to ask him what a healthy Aaron Harris would have been like his last years at PSU. He wasn’t Barkley, but damn he was special. His is the only injury that prompted me to send a get well card to a complete stranger.

Reactions: grinagrin
We usually had these kids for 4 years but now the good ones are only staying for three. We have to enjoy these treasures while we have them here before they move on to bigger & better things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT