ADVERTISEMENT

1962 Baseball All-star game

Just a heads up on MLB All Star games from the 60's.

Although I don't think it occurred in the 1962 All Star game, a number of these All Star games featured, in my opinion, the greatest starting outfield ever assembled:

FOR THE NATIONAL LEAGUE:

RF - Roberto Clemente
CF - Willie Mays
LF - Hank Aaron
(Aaron normally was a RF, but Clemente started in RF due to his famous stronger arm)

Can anybody top this outfield????

Although I don't think it occurred in the 1962 All Star game, a number of these All Star games featured, in my opinion, the greatest starting outfield ever assembled:

FOR THE NATIONAL LEAGUE:

RF - Roberto Clemente
CF - Willie Mays
LF - Hank Aaron
(Aaron normally was a RF, but Clemente started in RF due to his famous stronger arm)

Hudson Clement, Beau Pribula and Mason Rudolf!

FOR THE NATIONAL LEAGUE:

RF - Roberto Clemente
CF - Willie Mays
LF - Hank Aaron

There wouldn't be very many triples hit against that outfield trio.

Reactions: Fac

FOR THE NATIONAL LEAGUE:

RF - Roberto Clemente
CF - Willie Mays
LF - Hank Aaron

No. Quit looking.

I was lucky enough to go to the 1977 All Star game at Yankee Stadium. Before the game, Lasorda was standing near the 3rd base dugout hitting fungoes to Dave Parker, Ellis Valentine and Dave Winfield in right field who upon catching the ball, were throwing seeds to Mike Schmidt standing on third base. That alone was worth the price of admission.

FOR THE NATIONAL LEAGUE:

RF - Roberto Clemente
CF - Willie Mays
LF - Hank Aaron

AL outfield
RF Roger Maris
CF Mickey Mantle
LF AL Kaline

Reactions: NedFromYork and Fac
guess I need to explain myself since my avatar doesn't appear. It's a picture of Clemente tipping his helmet at second after collecting his 3,000th hit. I had tickets for the day after.
I didn't have tickets either but I remember that day well. He got number 3000 off of the New York Mets pitcher Jon Matlack. I also remember Pirate play by play announcer Bob Prince noting that Stan Musial also got his 3000th hit as a double too. Great memories from a time when the Pirates were a great ball club and had great management.

"He combed the cockle berries off of that one!" "A number eight can of golden bantam!" "A dying quail!" "A bloop and a blast!" "Kiss it goodbye!" - The Gunner
More Gunner: How sweet it is! We got a bug loose on the rug'. We need a Hoover (double play)! Thar' she blows (home run call)! As close as a gnat's eyelash! We want some chicken on the hill (Stargell home run)! Bobby hits the ball a mile (Clemente HR)! We had 'em all the way (end of game)!

More Gunner: How sweet it is! We got a bug loose on the rug'. We need a Hoover (double play)! Thar' she blows (home run call)! As close as a gnat's eyelash! We want some chicken on the hill (Stargell home run)! Bobby hits the ball a mile (Clemente HR)! We had 'em all the way (end of game)!
yep, "chicken on the hill with Will". There was a bar on the hill that gave away free chicken when he hit a home run."Not a Bissell, we need a Hoover" probably didn't go over to well with Bissell.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
yep, "chicken on the hill with Will". There was a bar on the hill that gave away free chicken when he hit a home run."Not a Bissell, we need a Hoover" probably didn't go over to well with Bissell.
That happened just ONE TIME because Bob Prince had to pay for it. The full saying was, "Let's have some chicken on the HILL with WILL and send the Gunner the BILL". What he meant was free chicken if you were in this Black owned business at the TIME of a Stargell home run and he would pay for it. What happened was everybody in the Hill District descended on this place all night. They sold every piece of chicken stored in their coolers. The Gunner got stuck paying over $5,000. The Gunner never said it again!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Mike W 31
guess I need to explain myself since my avatar doesn't appear. It's a picture of Clemente tipping his helmet at second after collecting his 3,000th hit. I had tickets for the day after.
I thought that came was the last of the season. Wasn’t it a Sunday?

The Gunner came to speak to the PSU marketing club back in 80 or 81. Afterwards there was a small reception at a fraternity, I think it was Skull House on Beaver Avenue. As the evening winded down, there were about 5 or 6 of us sitting around the table just enthralled listening to the Gunner tell so many great stores. It was an amazing experience that I'll always remember. I wish that every young fan of a great personality would have a chance for a similar experience.

Reactions: NedFromYork

FOR THE NATIONAL LEAGUE:

RF - Roberto Clemente
CF - Willie Mays
LF - Hank Aaron

I've always considered Mays as the greatest ALL AROUND player to have ever played. The guy just excelled at every phase of the game

Just such an amazing and interesting twist of fate to end his career with exactly 3000 hits before the plane crash. Definitely had some more good seasons left in him!

Reactions: wcg207

FOR THE NATIONAL LEAGUE:

RF - Roberto Clemente
CF - Willie Mays
LF - Hank Aaron

That NL outfield (Clemente, Mays, Aaron) was the greatest ever in my opinion.

As an aside, I still get chills remembering Clemente’s 1971 World Series MVP performance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT