ADVERTISEMENT

Question about old PSU African lion logo.

bcspsu

Jun 2, 2001
My niece gave me a birthday present of a PSU long sleeve t-shirt that has the "S" logo on it inset with an African lion logo rather than a mountain lion. I've also seen this logo on several hats that are being sold now. Did PSU really ever use this type of African lion logo rather than a mountain lion?

default.jpg

default.jpg

default.jpg

default.jpg

default.jpg

default.jpg

I bought one of the hats from Ebbets flannels. They used to be small company, but are now owned by Lids. (i was worried when they bought it but quality seems to still be ok. They just have some really weird non vintage designs now.

According to their site, this is what the design is based on.

Description: Authentic reproduction of the original Penn State University 1963 ballcap. Hand-sewn in wool, this cap is built to last a lifetime. Product Details:

History: The 1950s were very productive for the Penn State Nittany Lions baseball team as they made the NCAA Tournament 6 times including a runner up finish in the 1957 College World Series. The 1955 squad finished at 17-5 and were led by hard hitting outfielder Rex Bradley. The current Nittany Lions play their home games at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park, University Park, PA.

I bought one of the hats from Ebbets flannels. They used to be small company, but are now owned by Lids. (i was worried when they bought it but quality seems to still be ok. They just have some really weird non vintage designs now.

According to their site, this is what the design is based on.

Description: Authentic reproduction of the original Penn State University 1963 ballcap. Hand-sewn in wool, this cap is built to last a lifetime. Product Details:

History: The 1950s were very productive for the Penn State Nittany Lions baseball team as they made the NCAA Tournament 6 times including a runner up finish in the 1957 College World Series. The 1955 squad finished at 17-5 and were led by hard hitting outfielder Rex Bradley. The current Nittany Lions play their home games at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park, University Park, PA.
Almost all of my new team apparel purchases are throwback items, so I may get a hat with that logo on it. There is a hat company called 47 that sells several styles of hats with this logo on it. I just didn't want to get it with that logo on it if it really had no history with PSU, but apparently it does.

My niece gave me a birthday present of a PSU long sleeve t-shirt that has the "S" logo on it inset with an African lion logo rather than a mountain lion. I've also seen this logo on several hats that are being sold now. Did PSU really ever use this type of African lion logo rather than a mountain lion?

Nope, the "Traditional" logo prior to chipmunk-head was a mountain lion (face only).

Hit this hotlink.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT