ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback game plan, LSU job opening, more: James Franklin press conference notebook

"But that also makes the argument, if it's close, it really shouldn't be. The guy that's been in the program for a long time and the guy that's getting the most reps should be able to widen that gap and right now, it's somewhat close."

I thought that spoke volumes

a bit terrifying that it’s close considering Veilleux was jammed up his first semester on campus.

Reactions: ram2020
"But that also makes the argument, if it's close, it really shouldn't be. The guy that's been in the program for a long time and the guy that's getting the most reps should be able to widen that gap and right now, it's somewhat close."

Agreed - speaks volumes about the player AND the staff. Reps are important, no matter how talented you are.

Regarding whether he is tired of addressing rumors related to other openings:

"I did see Sandy's comments and I do think, it's a positive from this standpoint, there could be a different conversation going on and if there had to be a choice between the two, I'd rather it be this conversation than the opposite. But yeah. Yeah, I do."

I did not see Sandy’s comments, but with the last part, I take it Franklin is tired of the rumors.

And not in a good way.

Well, that was not exactly what I was hoping to hear about TR. Maybe done to light a fire in him to seize the opportunity? From those CJF comments I guess we can expect to see the true Freshman play also. TR seemingly has been placed on notice to pick up his game this Saturday and show some leadership.

"I did see Sandy's comments and I do think, it's a positive from this standpoint, there could be a different conversation going on and if there had to be a choice between the two, I'd rather it be this conversation than the opposite. But yeah. Yeah, I do."

I did not see Sandy’s comments, but with the last part, I take it Franklin is tired of the rumors.
He needs to come out and just say “I am not interested in another job”. Why won’t he put an end to it.

Sounds like CV will see the field vs Illinois.
Maybe they’ll platoon them much like Purdue did against I-Oh-Uh.
He needs to come out and just say “I am not interested in another job”. Why won’t he put an end to it.
Why? To appease the fans? He’s told the ones that need to know, and since these rumors have started, we haven’t lost a single recruit. That speaks volumes.

I take it Franklin is tired of the rumors.
Yep. His wife is a Washington State alum and he's taking the Cougars job to escape the endless rumors and make Fumi happy. She will no doubt negotiate a truckload of money for him and he will soon be dominating everything west of the 100th meridian from Pullman.

On the bright side, word is Saban still feels bad about crapping the bed in East Lansing. He played college ball in Ohio and is itching to return to the B1G to prove he a can win a national title anywhere in the country.

Au revoir, CJF. Welcome, Nick!

Or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobPSU92
JF doesn’t need to come out and do anything. He didn’t start the rumors.
He likely hasn’t even gotten an offer at this point, so there’s nothing to respond to other than opinions from talking heads.

Well, that was not exactly what I was hoping to hear about TR. Maybe done to light a fire in him to seize the opportunity? From those CJF comments I guess we can expect to see the true Freshman play also. TR seemingly has been placed on notice to pick up his game this Saturday and show some leadership.
Playing for a national championship here. It's not about feelings.

I heard Dabo was taking the LSU job thus opening up the opportunity for Franklin to Clemson rumors to begin.

If CV plays it tells me the coaches have very little faith in TR….but in the end if Clifford doesn’t come back the season is over anyway so why does it matter

They aren't splitting the reps for TRs benefit.

It's not exactly out there, but I'll say this.

SC has probably seen all the 1st team reps. His improvements year to year are too great.

I'd like to think CV is balling out these past 9 days, but I'll not hold my breath.

She basically said that Franklin knows that he is very appreciated at PSU and that he is wanted at PSU. That they have made sure that he is in a good position both in what PSU is investing the the program and in him.

Easy. Leverage because he still wants things for program here. And also, because if he ever does change his mind, he doesn’t want a quote out there that makes him look like a liar.
Can't imagine why anyone would want CJF to denounce interest in another job. Sport history is littered with votes of confidence, expressions of undying love and commitment that have boomeranged to bite all involved in the ass.
All anyone can ask of CJF is to continue to give us the excellent leadership and commitment he has given PSU to date.....until such time as he officially is no longer the HFC.
No coaching tenure is "for life" anymore.
If Coach chooses to leave, PSU will conduct an intense national search, and attract many interesting and qualified candidates.
That said, I sincerely hope he stays. I do not think PSU can do better.
I've learned not to agonize about something over which I have no control.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT