ADVERTISEMENT

PWC

Welsh I think has a decided strength advantage right now as well.
more than anything, i think he has barr’s attacks completely figured out after a few matches. not only did he shut them down but was consistently finding an angle on that drag.

he’ll need to improve his set ups for sure.

UaefaLv.png
Absolutely egregious and unacceptable!!

Couldn't finish because he didn't fully commit. He regressed.
It's a very thin line between success and otherwise at the NCAAs.

SVN dodged bullets twice or he could have been out without giving us any points. Levi was as close to getting pinned as is possible. If either of their paths had gone differently, the critiques of their first year failures probably would be discussed on this board.

I don't think we can't point to any one thing for Alex, but he had a decent bracket and that first match was admittedly a disaster. Drawing #4 on the back side was just plain unlucky, and that's all she wrote.

Am I disappointed in Alex's first tourney? You bet, but I can't point to him regressing as the cause.

It's a very thin line between success and otherwise at the NCAAs.

SVN dodged bullets twice or he could have been out without giving us any points. Levi was as close to getting pinned as is possible. If either of their paths had gone differently, the critiques of their first year failures probably would be discussed on this board.

I don't think we can't point to any one thing for Alex, but he had a decent bracket and that first match was admittedly a disaster. Drawing #4 on the back side was just plain unlucky, and that's all she wrote.

Am I disappointed in Alex's first tourney? You bet, but I can't point to him regressing as the cause.
Sure you can. Look at the results.

Sure you can. Look at the results.
He regressed, results wise, but was still the same guy. He won coin flip match after coin flip match all year long. His luck ran out in the postseason.

Your argument shouldn't be that he regressed. It should be that he was never good enough to be locked into the lineup long term.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
He regressed, results wise, but was still the same guy. He won coin flip match after coin flip match all year long. His luck ran out in the postseason.

Your argument shouldn't be that he regressed. It should be that he was never good enough to be locked into the lineup long term.
His argument is: LOOK AT ME!!

Somehow people continue to oblige it.

more than anything, i think he has barr’s attacks completely figured out after a few matches. not only did he shut them down but was consistently finding an angle on that drag.

he’ll need to improve his set ups for sure.
You don’t really care for any of Caels recruits for 23 do you? And I know you aren’t high on Sealey anymore in 24. You must be chomping at the bit that Iowa is catching PSU huh? What do you think of Ryder and the Mirasola twins? Not trolling. Genuinely interested in opinion.

You don’t really care for any of Caels recruits for 23 do you? And I know you aren’t high on Sealey anymore in 24. You must be chomping at the bit that Iowa is catching PSU huh? What do you think of Ryder and the Mirasola twins? Not trolling. Genuinely interested in opinion.
I've always been high on Barr and Sealey. Wanted both for the hawks. Neither are ready to compete right away imo.

I'd compare Barr to Facundo and Sealey to SVN. Barr needs to improve his set ups and handfighting. Can't just rely on his length. I think he's better than Facundo though.

Sealey needs to clean everything up. Has to find the right balance between that and his pace.

I haven't watched enough of the others to have a good opinion.

Sealey is still raw in folk (though he has a lot of good wins, he's taken some odd losses) but the way he ran through Cadet Worlds has me beyond sold. It wasn't in a Verkleeren manner (where he just laced everyone), did it with an insane variety of attacks and a gas tank that definitely showed would last 7 minutes and a long tournament. When our coaches cleans up some things with him ... look out.

Last edited:
Enough bashing our own kids let's get back to something a bit more enjoyable.

From what I understand AJ Ferrari has no problem finishing. Be careful what you wish for.

PS for those who will get it, there is a rumor that Iowa wrestling has a new mascot.

"The Aristocrats"

Late March is the worst time of the year for this board. I should just focus on the Masters and the NFL draft.

Reactions: APSPSUwrestlingfan
I don't even know why I'm replying but he didn't regress wtf already. The kid is a freshman I'm betting he was nervous as hell being in his first national tournament. He was wrestling good kids. He didn't finish some shots he needs some work. I bet a hundred bucks he improves next year and every year after that he is our best option right now and he will do fine. The only guy I would take to replace him is joe lee. Yes I said Joe lee

Reactions: mcpat
I don't even know why I'm replying but he didn't regress wtf already. The kid is a freshman I'm betting he was nervous as hell being in his first national tournament. He was wrestling good kids. He didn't finish some shots he needs some work. I bet a hundred bucks he improves next year and every year after that he is our best option right now and he will do fine. The only guy I would take to replace him is joe lee. Yes I said Joe lee
FIFY

The only guy I would take to replace him is Levi Haines. Yes, I said Levi.

PS - Maybe they go the same weight next year and without a redshirt, otherwise, I think most of the people on this board are forgetting who we are dealing with. It's Cael Sanderson and Alex Facundo, enough said for all the naysayers.

I agree about Joe Lee.

he lost to a non qualifier last year. He didn't this year. How is that regressing? He just had an unfortunate post season. It happens.
Not only that but he beat the 4th place finisher during the season. People can say Amine was nursing an injury but he was nursing an injury at the NCAA tournament as well and still took 4th. Pretty big win in my eyes

Not only that but he beat the 4th place finisher during the season. People can say Amine was nursing an injury but he was nursing an injury at the NCAA tournament as well and still took 4th. Pretty big win in my eyes
He beat Kharchla too, but he was just back from injury.

I agree about Joe Lee.
Sorry, maybe it's a heartwarming bedtime story to honor a PSU loyal Lee family, but Joe Lee ain't beating Alex Facundo.

I remain extremely bummed that Alex lost a first round match to a kid he really should have handled easily. Maybe the lights were a little too bright that day. Maybe he was banged up, for all we know he had the stomach flu and was weak. Many of our greats had inexplicable losses their freshman years (Mark, Bo, Cenzo, Carter), granted generally not at nationals, it happens.

Many of you are basically labeling a world medalist, who had a solid but unspectacular first dual season, a bust. I really don't get it.

Cael is the best at developing but honest to god both SVN (twice) and Levi danced on the razor's edge this tourney, and it's like you all have amnesia because they finished in the top 4.

So too be clear where I am coming from! No, Gary Steen is not going to be fine. Alex Facundo? He is going to be just fine.

If he lays an egg next year, post this reply, and Earnst & Young will slip my crystal ball audited results a well deserved point or two.

It proves he regressed...he went from beating Amine to losing both at Tulsa and 2 of 3 I
At B1G

Sorry, maybe it's a heartwarming bedtime story to honor a PSU loyal Lee family, but Joe Lee ain't beating Alex Facundo.

I remain extremely bummed that Alex lost a first round match to a kid he really should have handled easily. Maybe the lights were a little too bright that day. Maybe he was banged up, for all we know he had the stomach flu and was weak. Many of our greats had inexplicable losses their freshman years (Mark, Bo, Cenzo, Carter), granted generally not at nationals, it happens.

Many of you are basically labeling a world medalist, who had a solid but unspectacular first dual season, a bust. I really don't get it.

Cael is the best at developing but honest to god both SVN (twice) and Levi danced on the razor's edge this tourney, and it's like you all have amnesia because they finished in the top 4.

So too be clear where I am coming from! No, Gary Steen is not going to be fine. Alex Facundo? He is going to be just fine.

If he lays an egg next year, post this reply, and Earnst & Young will slip my crystal ball audited results a well deserved point or two.
He is not beating out Haines, so he will have a chance to learn and grow as a backup or Olympic redshirt or what not.

He is not beating out Haines, so he will have a chance to learn and grow as a backup or Olympic redshirt or what not.
Well if it's true that this was Levi's last year at 157, and if it's also true that Carter doesn't take an Oly next year, we absolutely have 2 studs at 165. Both are eligible for Olys, and Levi eligible for a standard RS as well.

Since Cael plays 3d chess and the rest of the nation's coaches checkers, I suspect he has a solid plan.

I tend to lean towards the shirt Levi next year strategy, and then unleash holy hell the following 3 years al la Zain. If neither wants to shirt, and it comes down to a wrestle-off, my money is on Levi without a doubt.

So from that standpoint I think we agree.

well I did want to see the family of Lee do well... would be cool if the little brothers raised the bar.

Reactions: danoftw
It proves he regressed...he went from beating Amine to losing both at Tulsa and 2 of 3 I
At B1G
Again, why do you are so much and take such glee in tearing down PSU wrestlers? For a supposed fan you act more like a HR denizen!

The kid gave it his all and came up short, I will support him whenever he puts on the blue singlet with the white belt. And I also believe Cael and Co will coach him up to help achieve his dreams.

Again, why do you are so much and take such glee in tearing down PSU wrestlers? For a supposed fan you act more like a HR denizen!

The kid gave it his all and came up short, I will support him whenever he puts on the blue singlet with the white belt. And I also believe Cael and Co will coach him up to help achieve his dreams.
Now,now no piling on.

And down goes another thread

What makes you believe Facundo will be just fine? Health wise? Or do you see him becoming an All American? Or do you define it as R12 or a point scorer of 10 points at Ncaa? Just curious as to your definition here...nothing negative toward the kid.

What makes you believe Facundo will be just fine? Health wise? Or do you see him becoming an All American? Or do you define it as R12 or a point scorer of 10 points at Ncaa? Just curious as to your definition here...nothing negative toward the kid.
Not GogglesPaizano, but I would be shocked if whatever broke on the kid at the end of the year isn't fixed way before next season starts and he medals next March. To be a 10 point scorer he has to finish 6th or better with maybe a bonus point. Doable.

All-American at 165 is a tall task for anyone. Rd of 12 would be a very good year.

Reactions: hlstone

I'm not tearing anyone down. I'm calling it like it was. Now..will that continue? I say no. The only time I saw a wrestler under Cael regress for a career was Andrew Alton. 12 years and 99.9 percent of our guys improve. Facundo is improving and on 2 years will be on that podium at 174.

I'm not tearing anyone down. I'm calling it like it was. Now..will that continue? I say no. The only time I saw a wrestler under Cael regress for a career was Andrew Alton. 12 years and 99.9 percent of our guys improve. Facundo is improving and on 2 years will be on that podium at 174.
Yes but wow could he hit a cement job and chin whip, until he ran out of gas at the end of the first. The Alton’s were still two of my Favorite HS wrestlers of all time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT