ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Wrestler Mesenbrink Shares His Philosophy on Winning and Losing

Serious question, did Cael go after him in HS or was it just assumed he was going elsewhere.
Even though he was a three-time Wisconsin state champ, I don’t think Mitch was on many coaches’ radar prior to his winning 2022 U20 team trials, and then taking world silver. He jumped a ton of levels in a very short period of time. Hence his initial commitment to Cal Baptist.

In one of his recent media availabilites, Cael said something to the effect of “If we had known what he was going to turn into, we would’ve camped out in his front lawn.”

Last edited:
Even though he was a three-time Wisconsin state champ, I don’t think Mitch was on many coaches’ radar prior to his winning 2022 U20 team trials, and then taking world silver. He jumped a ton of levels in a very short period of time. Hence his initial commitment to Cal Baptist.

In one of his recent media availabilites, Cael said something to the effect of “If we had known what he was going to turn into, we would’ve camped out in his front lawn.”
Funny guy, that Cael Sanderson. We got him just the same!!

I never even heard of MM until we went to the 2022 U20 WTT and he whooped Levi.

Funny guy, that Cael Sanderson. We got him just the same!!

I never even heard of MM until we went to the 2022 U20 WTT and he whooped Levi.

Askren was asked very pointedly - how did MM make such a big jump. That same year he won the trials - he placed 7th i believe at super 32.

Ben said he had to learn how to handfight. That he only wanted to shoot from the outside. Pretty amazing jump for such a simple improvement.

Carl's words were actually "if we had known he was going to turn into such a "killer".....'. With a big grin on his face.

I love this kid. What a talent. Might turn out to be a generational talent. He's so good even Iowa fans love him that's saying something. He reminds every fan of the best they ever saw in their uniform. What a kid and what a team.

I don’t look forward to watching Mesenbrink. He’s too herky jerky and takes guys down too quickly - making it hard for me to keep up with the score. He also is afraid of the 3rd period as most of his matches end before then.

Season 4 Episode 13 GIF by The Office

Im Not No Way GIF

Reactions: Sullivan
I don’t look forward to watching Mesenbrink. He’s too herky jerky and takes guys down too quickly - making it hard for me to keep up with the score. He also is afraid of the 3rd period as most of his matches end before then.

And, he has the audacity and arrogance to shake hands with the referee before and after his matches.

MM seems to be very mature as a young adult. He's a little like Nolf but with a smile. Nolf didn't have the constant movement but did have the same ability in creating offense. Jason was a little more dangerous on mat with ability to use his legs for leverage and control. Nolf would of not seen many 3rd periods with the current scoring. MM has the ability to finish on a situation that typically ends in a stailmate with other wrestlers. Fun to watch.

Reactions: Ski
I think Cody talked about how he can be shown something once, and he will immediately do that thing in competition, and how rare that is. That's a pretty scary thought with him coming out of Askren's mentorship and right into the Lion's den.

I think Cody talked about how he can be shown something once, and he will immediately do that thing in competition, and how rare that is. That's a pretty scary thought with him coming out of Askren's mentorship and right into the Lion's den.
Cody also mentioned Mitchell is constantly asking questions and then experimenting and oddly enough Cody said that’s very rare, even in that wrestling room. We’ve landed another All-Timer guys.

Last edited:
MM seems to be very mature as a young adult. He's a little like Nolf but with a smile. Nolf didn't have the constant movement but did have the same ability in creating offense. Jason was a little more dangerous on mat with ability to use his legs for leverage and control. Nolf would of not seen many 3rd periods with the current scoring. MM has the ability to finish on a situation that typically ends in a stailmate with other wrestlers. Fun to watch.
Movement from the opening whistle. The heck with gas tank concern. Just phenomenal.

I hate it, it makes me sick. I need to take Dramamine before one of his matches and it makes me drowsy when mixed with Bourbon.
boating throwing up GIF by South Park

I know everyone talks about his energy level and torrid pace,but this guy is an animal on top as well,he is much stronger than he looks.

Reactions: Ski
Movement from the opening whistle. The heck with gas tank concern. Just phenomenal.
People jumped all over me for stating that Verklaren, (spelling) was the most boring wrestler I had ever seen. MM is exciting and wonderful for the sport. People like o watch wrestlers who put points on the board.

People jumped all over me for stating that Verklaren, (spelling) was the most boring wrestler I had ever seen. MM is exciting and wonderful for the sport. People like o watch wrestlers who put points on the board.
Be careful with comments like that. Someone will make a takedown 8 points.

Be careful with comments like that. Someone will make a takedown 8 points.
LOL you can't fill many seats with a team whose matches go to SV, with total points under 6. Back at Warren HS, 1959-62, I saw coach Hal Miller throw in the towel and cede a bout on a kid who was just dogging it. They won the match. They filled up all seats because his kids wrestled put up pts and won . Homer Barr was coach b4 him so their was a tradition of putting up points and winning.

Oh yeah! If TnT would have know about him we would have had Telford call him.
Take that! 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT