ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs Minny Basketball thread

Does the "Fire Chambers" crowd realize that releasing the coach could mean bye bye to Carr, Stevens and Bostick? Yeah, PSU would be much better off in that scenario.

Reactions: FightOnState
Does the "Fire Chambers" crowd realize that releasing the coach could mean bye bye to Carr, Stevens and Bostick? Yeah, PSU would be much better off in that scenario.

I find it rather funny that the foremost proponent of the sarcastic posts on "hot seats" and "firings", is also the loudest mouth on this board, putting the basketball program and it's coach, down, on a regular basis.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Every time someone suggests we fire Chambers I ask who do we hire.
You know all the posts about lack of fan support, how lousy BJC is as a venue well prospective coaches read them
One of our internal enemies is the number of sports programs we support and how many of them are competitive.
In a lot of places BB is the only game in town.

When we're going to the Dance next year we better not see ESPN pushing some bogus narrative that PSU fans were calling for Pat's head.

The problem I see right now, is "Penn State is going to be the team nobody wants to play in February, and they are going to be making noise", which I heard from every analyst during every game, earlier...

That is not happening. Now, I don't know if you can "blame" anyone: The best players are freshmen, the upper classmen have regressed, Chambers already made one change in his staff, and pulled in the best class in his tenure, and made inroads in Philadelphia, which was thought impossible.

At the same time, next year will be year 7 and they will not be freshmen, and saying "NIT" is a successful season, is kicking the can down the road, which is not acceptable.

They never offer an alternative. None of these people would have any clue how to run a company.

Let's just fire every one, flip some coins, put a lucky rabbits foot in our pocket, and see what happens.

It's the same mentality that bashed Sam Hinkie. They offered no alternative strategy to building a sustainable winner.

There isn't a single player the media suggested the Sixers draft that is playing better than Dario Saric right now but that pick was bashed for two years on a daily basis because Saric stayed overseas.

No one has any patience.

Pat Chambers inheited a 8 year rebuild. Excuse me, building job, a rebuild would suggest the program was ever built to sustain success.

Well, the past four games mean nothing. This should have been at least a close competitive game even if it ended up as a loss.....not a game that was never in question in the second half.

Penn State doesn't match up well with this Minnesota team. They protect the paint very well with their length.

They were an 8 point dog and lost by 10.

I've see Penn State with seniors and juniors down 30 points in that building.

You know all the posts about lack of fan support, how lousy BJC is as a venue well prospective coaches read them
One of our internal enemies is the number of sports programs we support and how many of them are competitive.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that we fire Chambers this year. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees he should at least get next year to show some improvement. And your question about who to hire is impossible to answer because you don't know who would be interested unless you start looking. That's like saying who would we replace Franklin with if he left tomorrow? Nobody knows because we haven't started looking. So maybe nobody answers your question because it's a stupid question that can't be answered.

Reactions: bison13 and auxgym
From what I saw this afternoon, it wasn't Pat Chambers throwing up ugly, unsuccessful 3 pointers from 5 feet behind the "arc"

Shep needs to sit-out the remainder of the season until and unless he decides to become a "team player".

Last edited:

And every time somebody said "Fire DeChellis", every single apologist said the exact same thing. The answer was Pat Chambers.

They never offer an alternative. None of these people would have any clue how to run a company.

Let's just fire every one, flip some coins, put a lucky rabbits foot in our pocket, and see what happens.

It's the same mentality that bashed Sam Hinkie. They offered no alternative strategy to building a sustainable winner.

There isn't a single player the media suggested the Sixers draft that is playing better than Dario Saric right now but that pick was bashed for two years on a daily basis because Saric stayed overseas.

No one has any patience.

Pat Chambers inheited a 8 year rebuild. Excuse me, building job, a rebuild would suggest the program was ever built to sustain success.

Ed DeChellis also inherited an 8 year rebuild. He has the worst won loss percentage in the history of the program, and he took it to an NCAA birth in year 7.

I'm not going to commit to 8 years just yet, but Pat has performed recruiting miracles here, so he deserves year 7, when his great class will no longer be freshmen.

I don't think anyone can say that 14-15, young or not young, with this class, is a successful year. This year has been a failure. Losses to Albany, George Mason, and Rutgers. Lost nearly every close, one possession game, lost nearly every road conference game, and lost every overtime game. Nearly gagged away three different huge leads in the final minutes. No improvement, in fact, regression from the entire upper class portion of the on floor roster. No help coming next year, other than a shot in the dark big man transfer who at best might give them 4 minutes per game and eat up fouls to MAYBE help Watkins, who right now has zero help.

And all of this, in a very very down year for the Big Ten. Chambers himself said if they don't make the NIT, this year will be a disappointment.

Guess what? 14-15 won't make the NIT, and it's Ohio State and then Iowa, and if they split, which is BEST CASE, then they need three wins in the tournament.

Last edited:
Ed DeChellis also inherited an 8 year rebuild. He has the worst won loss percentage in the history of the program, and he took it to an NCAA birth in year 7.

I'm not going to commit to 8 years just yet, but Pat has performed recruiting miracles here, so he deserves year 7, when his great class will no longer be freshmen.

I don't think anyone can say that 14-15, young or not young, with this class, is a successful year. This year has been a failure. Losses to Albany, George Mason, and Rutgers. Lost nearly every close, one possession game, lost nearly every road conference game, and lost every overtime game. Nearly gagged away three different huge leads in the final minutes. No improvement, in fact, regression from the entire upper class portion of the on floor roster. No help coming next year, other than a shot in the dark big man transfer who at best might give them 4 minutes per game and eat up fouls to MAYBE help Watkins, who right now has zero help.

And all of this, in a very very down year for the Big Ten. Chambers himself said if they don't make the NIT, this year will be a disappointment.

Guess what? 14-15 won't make the NIT, and it's Ohio State and then Iowa, and if they split, which is BEST CASE, then they need three wins in the tournament.
DeChellis had the worst win loss percentage until now...his was better than Chambers. Just saying.

Sad......looks like they're probably going to end up with a losing record this year.

So close.....and yet so far!

DeChellis had the worst win loss percentage until now...his was better than Chambers. Just saying.

That's up and down: the percentages are so close that if Pat finishes 6 games over .500 next year, then He will surpass DeChellis. I think this team can finish around 18-13 next year, IF Pat goes the Northwestern route and softens the non con, and I think he has to at this point. They really need the NIT next year to show Sandy SOMETHING.

DeChellis inherited a four year rebuild. There was an enormous wave of transfers in his first two seasons, and he should have been fired after his fourth season. He finally got there in 2011 with a senior-loaded team, and then realized he was back to square one and quit.

Chambers had more like a five-year rebuild because he inherited few scholarships to give. Also, it was a very negative recruiting environment for PSU in 2011-12, certainly far more negative than anything Ed dealt with. And for trying to build real inroads to Philadelphia, Chambers gets an additional year or two. He should have through next year to get to the NCAA (not the NIT). I think he will, and I think he'll actually get there for two or three consecutive seasons after this one. That will put the program on a different level.

That's up and down: the percentages are so close that if Pat finishes 6 games over .500 next year, then He will surpass DeChellis. I think this team can finish around 18-13 next year, IF Pat goes the Northwestern route and softens the non con, and I think he has to at this point. They really need the NIT next year to show Sandy SOMETHING.
Unless the Big improves dramatically next year, the expectation should be the NCAA tournament not the NIT. Coming off a possible losing record in one of the worst years for the Big is not good.

No way do I see a softening of the non-con schedule next year. Just MHO.
The BIGGEST addition next year will be what this team needed this year............6'9" 258 pound C/F Satchel Pierce! When undersized Watkins got in foul trouble, our defense fell apart. Having Pierce next year to go along with Moore in the middle will make our team that much better on "D"!

No way do I see a softening of the non-con schedule next year. Just MHO.
The BIGGEST addition next year will be what this team needed this year............6'9" 258 pound C/F Satchel Pierce! When undersized Watkins got in foul trouble, our defense fell apart. Having Pierce next year to go along with Moore in the middle will make our team that much better on "D"!

I haven't seen Pierce play. Is he athletic? How is his footwork? I'm hoping he isn't one of those slow, lead-foot guys who just takes up space.

Unless the Big improves dramatically next year, the expectation should be the NCAA tournament not the NIT. Coming off a possible losing record in one of the worst years for the Big is not good.

The expectation next year has to be the NCAA. I don't know why anybody expected the true freshmen to get there this year. It was not going to happen. A winning record in the B1G was not going to happen. Pat should have created an OOC schedule with more wins. The tournament with Duke and Cincinnati was a huge roll of the dice and maybe not such a fantastic idea; I think Pat honestly thought they would knock off Duke. However, next year it would be a great idea to have the exact same level of OOC schedule. They will be more ready as sophomores.

I haven't seen Pierce play. Is he athletic? How is his footwork? I'm hoping he isn't one of those slow, lead-foot guys who just takes up space.
I was watching a game on TV a few weeks ago, and his name was brought up. He was doing well at practice. Not much of a scorer, but doing a good job on defense. Where we need the help! THat's all I know of him. Maybe someone else can chime in.

But it's O.K. because Penn State is young and athletic. Just wait until next year.

Speaking for myself, as someone who is all in for Pat Chambers, I am not so naive as to think that there aren't problems and weaknesses. The two obvious ones for me are consistent outside shooting and additional skilled post players. I guess at some point, if you have enough truly superior athletes you can win consistently without traditional outside shooting and low post guys, but we aren't nearly there and may never get there. The team will be better next year, with the nucleus of young talent having another year of experience under their belt. This will equate to some incremental improvement, with the hope of continued defensive intensity and offensive cohesiveness. There will be some lesser teams that beat us next year (and going forward) by taking advantage of theses weaknesses.

I know that we have Myles Dread as a verbal for 2018 class, but I believe that he is in the "combo guard" variety. I would like to see Pat bring in someone that is a pure shooter or a pure post player (5 or stretch 4).

Speaking for myself, as someone who is all in for Pat Chambers, I am not so naive as to think that there aren't problems and weaknesses. The two obvious ones for me are consistent outside shooting and additional skilled post players. I guess at some point, if you have enough truly superior athletes you can win consistently without traditional outside shooting and low post guys, but we aren't nearly there and may never get there. The team will be better next year, with the nucleus of young talent having another year of experience under their belt. This will equate to some incremental improvement, with the hope of continued defensive intensity and offensive cohesiveness. There will be some lesser teams that beat us next year (and going forward) by taking advantage of theses weaknesses.

I know that we have Myles Dread as a verbal for 2018 class, but I believe that he is in the "combo guard" variety. I would like to see Pat bring in someone that is a pure shooter or a pure post player (5 or stretch 4).

Pat's first 3 years of recruiting is why we haven't made that jump.

Pat's second class which should be the current seniors consists of Banks and Moore. That's not good enough to be an upper echelon Big Ten team. It would have been great had Woodward stuck around for shooting but he wanted to start and that wasn't happening. Geno Thorpe would be a senior on this team. Geno would be a much better option than Samuel. I don't know why Geno transferred. Maybe he thought he was being recruited over?

Pat's third class was Garner and Washington. Penn State offered Washington very early when they were struggling with recruiting and I think the staff was hoping he'd end up like 6'6, but he stopped growing. He's not a Big Ten guard. Garner has been inconsistent this year, but he belongs in the league. This is our junior class.

Our upperclassmen are Banks, Moore, Garner and Washington. That's not good enough.

Whenever you listen to the games the announcers continually talk about how Penn State is finally getting some legitimate Big Ten talent in the program. They need more time.

It's insane how much complaining is being done about a program that is viewed as one of the toughest jobs in college basketball.

Pat's first 3 years of recruiting is why we haven't made that jump.

Pat's second class which should be the current seniors consists of Banks and Moore. That's not good enough to be an upper echelon Big Ten team. It would have been great had Woodward stuck around for shooting but he wanted to start and that wasn't happening. Geno Thorpe would be a senior on this team. Geno would be a much better option than Samuel. I don't know why Geno transferred. Maybe he thought he was being recruited over?

Pat's third class was Garner and Washington. Penn State offered Washington very early when they were struggling with recruiting and I think the staff was hoping he'd end up like 6'6, but he stopped growing. He's not a Big Ten guard. Garner has been inconsistent this year, but he belongs in the league. This is our junior class.

Our upperclassmen are Banks, Moore, Garner and Washington. That's not good enough.

Whenever you listen to the games the announcers continually talk about how Penn State is finally getting some legitimate Big Ten talent in the program. They need more time.

It's insane how much complaining is being done about a program that is viewed as one of the toughest jobs in college basketball.

This is true.

No it doesn't moron. Don't you realize that they committed here partially due to they all wanted to play together. Good luck finding another school that will take 3 transfers in a given year.

No it doesn't moron. Don't you realize that they committed here partially due to they all wanted to play together. Good luck finding another school that will take 3 transfers in a given year.

Good luck with that. They came here to play for Chambers. Coaching changes inevitably lead to transfers, and for us that usually means a few years at rock bottom. Like really bad. This squad has knocked off some top 25 teams. They are on their way and a change right now would be ridiculous.

How come every time people question the direction of the program and whether Chambers is the right guy, some of you have to reduce it down to us calling for Chambers to be fired this year? How many of us have actually said that?

black --> GRAY --> white

Unfortunately for Pat, he said they would make the NIT or the season would be a failure. That practically goes without saying, but he said it. I am thinking he might regret his words. Of course this team still has the BTT ahead of it so we will see.

NIT in year six is managing expectations big time.

I'm one of Chambers' most vocal supporters on this board, maybe not in your class though. I understand perfectly the challenges that Chambers had to overcome and is still fighting. Maybe if Hampton had stuck around/panned out, we'd have the depth we need in the low blocks. It's still something that is a glowing weakness and something Pat should have been hedging his bet with plan B Power Forwards in the 2017 class. There also is the issue with outside shooting... I don't know whether Garner, Reaves, Washington, Bostic, Hazle, Zemgulis, etc. can be coached up into legitimate 3 point shooters, but they haven't yet. I think they need to recruit someone who is a pure shooter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT