ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs Iowa Wrestling.... PSU 29, Iowa 6

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
PSU lost a couple matches in the first half. Kasak really battled back to take his match to sudden victory but then gave up the take down.

Messenbrink is taking to Caliendo who's supposed to be "athletic" but he sure can't handle Clark Kent's constant shots........

It was a beat down. Even Brands essentially admitted it in his presser. Pretty upset but nothing you can do. PSU wrestling is the best in the world. These varsity guys roll with world champs. They come ready to rumble.

PSU was 8-2 in matches, several bonus and some near bonus, road the hawks like donkies all night, dominate in TDs, several brutal mat returns, Iowa had a number blood breaks, etc…. Just a beat down.

Carver faithful will wake up and be sprewing venom at the Brands boys all weekend. My god the gap at Nationals between these two teams could be 100 pts. Gable was fuming.

I enjoy the dominance of PSU wrestling over the field although I assume anyone with a different allegiance has to be turned off by just how dominant we are.

Sadly, with NIL and portal grabbing team captains and all conference players off of P5 teams, I think college football is trending this way as well. You are likely to see the same exact teams every year dominating the playoffs by larger and larger margins. I don't think that it is healthy for the sport.

So, I am torn. We enjoy the fruits of utter dominance in wrestling, but it simultaneously foretells the dying of college football IMO. I think interest fades in sports that don't have a reasonable competitive balance. Like, why care if you have no shot.
Completely agree. Sad state of affairs, even if it means we dominate a sport.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I think once the P2 conference players all unionize for football, we'll see a salary cap at 49% of revenues, that should level the playing field some across more schools.

“How one-sided was this loss? The 23-point margin of defeat is the largest Iowa has suffered in a dual meet since losing to Oklahoma 39-0... in 1965-66. It was the first time the Hawkeyes have been held to just six points in a dual meet since a 24-6 loss to Oklahoma State in 1983-84. Tom Brands' worst loss as Iowa head coach prior to this was a 29-13 defeat to Minnesota in 2006-07, his first year in charge. A 21-9 loss to Ohio State in 2011-12 was the only other time that Iowa had been held under 10 team points in a dual during his 18-year tenure at Iowa.”

That is all

Levon (Levi Haines) played cartoon balloons with his opponent, pitching a shutout, two TD's and missed Xtra points to win 12-ZIP.

Starocci almost gave up a take down after being dismayed that a locked hands was called against him when his opponent pushed his arm down to his other arm. PSU challenged but some how the refs affirmed the call. But Carter got away and got through the match. He looked like he would dominate the match, and did somewhat, but wasn't the same after the call. He still hasn't given up a take down this season.

Last edited:
“How one-sided was this loss? The 23-point margin of defeat is the largest Iowa has suffered in a dual meet since losing to Oklahoma 39-0... in 1965-66. It was the first time the Hawkeyes have been held to just six points in a dual meet since a 24-6 loss to Oklahoma State in 1983-84. Tom Brands' worst loss as Iowa head coach prior to this was a 29-13 defeat to Minnesota in 2006-07, his first year in charge. A 21-9 loss to Ohio State in 2011-12 was the only other time that Iowa had been held under 10 team points in a dual during his 18-year tenure at Iowa.”

That is all
How come we didn't hear this from the announcers last night? Those are amazing facts.

I enjoy the dominance of PSU wrestling over the field although I assume anyone with a different allegiance has to be turned off by just how dominant we are.

Sadly, with NIL and portal grabbing team captains and all conference players off of P5 teams, I think college football is trending this way as well. You are likely to see the same exact teams every year dominating the playoffs by larger and larger margins. I don't think that it is healthy for the sport.

So, I am torn. We enjoy the fruits of utter dominance in wrestling, but it simultaneously foretells the dying of college football IMO. I think interest fades in sports that don't have a reasonable competitive balance. Like, why care if you have no shot.
I think Iowa is #2 so I don't see a 1 vs 2 college football game being this lopsided. However, your point is valid that as NIL (or eventually salaries) in college football becomes more and more lucrative and the primary decision criteria for recruits and portal transfers then the competitive imbalance will be ridiculous. I don't see Penn State in that group of 5 or 6 that will dominate.

Levon (Levi Haines) played cartoon balloons with his opponent, pitching a shutout, two TD's and missed Xtra points to win 12-ZIP.

Starocci almost gave up a take down after being dismayed that a locked hands was called against him when his opponent pushed his arm down to his other arm. PSU challenged but some how the refs affirmed the call. But Carter got away and got through the match. He looked like he would dominate the match, and did somewhat, but wasn't the same after the call. He still hasn't given up a take down this season.
Starocci got out of a couple situations where it looked like the Iowa guy was going to get the take down and Starocci reversed it for his own take down. The Iowa guy was completely outclassed.

Did we have to fake any injuries to slow Iowa down?
No, Cael's boy don't need any help. They don't even need a home "field" advantage, as they're pretty adept at silencing crowds. Even in the land of poor sportsmanship!!

No, Cael's boy don't need any help. They don't even need a home "field" advantage, as they're pretty adept at silencing crowds. Even in the land of poor sportsmanship!!
Those Eye O Wah fans didn't know what hit them. They would get excited when it looked like their guy may score a takedown and PSU would just shut it down. Like the Mutombo finger wag!

PSU lost a couple matches in the first half. Kasak really battled back to take his match to sudden victory but then gave up the take down.

Messenbrink is taking to Caliendo who's supposed to be "athletic" but he sure can't handle Clark Kent's constant shots........
There are few moments in sports more enjoyable than watching the wacky Brands brothers melt down.

I would agree if not for Georgia 65 - 7 TCU just a year ago.
Yeah that was a weird one. OSU vs Georgia or even Michigan vs Georgia would have been much closer.

Look at this coming year...Georgia, OSU then probably Oregon, maybe Texas. Does anyone else have a shot? Nope.
Bama? With no Saban and what they lost to the portal, no. Michigan? No. Ole Miss? No.

• Sad
Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
There are few moments in sports more enjoyable than watching the wacky Brands brothers melt down.
I agree but they were pretty calm. And they searched out all the PSU coaches to congratulate them on the PSU team's performance after the match was over. Much more congenial that what I remember of past matches.

NIL has nothing to do with the run of championships Penn State had rung up before 2020. It may in the future, but the base of this run is the draw of the coaches and their results. There is the opportunity to train with world and Olympic champions at the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. NIL has made the dominance more, well, dominant. We are now at the unheard point in wrestling where we can lose a top five wrestler and plug in a top ten freshman. We are in an unprecedented territory and may set a NCAA scoring record this year. It can't last forever. We should appreciate it while it lasts and not take it for granted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT