157-Haines fall Franek 30-0
165-Mesenbrink fall Caliendo 36-0
174-Starocci fall Kennedy 42-0
184-Truax fall Riggins 48-0
197-Brooks fall Glazier 54-0
285-Kerkvliet fall Hill 60-0

I’ll be here all week.

s-l1600.jpg

To save hawk fans the embarassment, and save the noble GIAs the trouble of visiting other boards to defend them, Carver will have drop boxes for distraught fans to put their glasses in. Carver staff will smash your glasses in privacy. Bigbucksbob will be selling Dollar Store reading glasses for $19.95 at all carver cone locations.

Agree that PK at 174 and GA at 184 makes the most sense from a competitive standpoint.

But as a reminder, this is what GA said about a guy that had won two NCAA titles in two seasons and placed 3rd at the WTT (with a dub over Nolf):

Overrated…I said what I said”

“Carter Starocci is one of the best at 174 pounds, and that’s who I have in my mirror every single day. That’s who I see. That’s who I’m going to beat next year. So, these are goals that I have set for myself, and whether people like me or not, I honestly could care less. But my goal is to beat Carter Starocci. My goal is to be a 2024 NCAA national champ at 174 pounds. So, by any means necessary, that is what I will do. So, hate me or love me, I’m Gabe Arnold.”
Arnold will go at 174 with CStar but does everyone remember the match last year between CStar and Nelson Brands? Arnold will do nothing but push Starocci away to keep the score down and hope for a last second steal.I wouldn't be shocked to see other Hawks do the same.

Arnold will go at 174 with CStar but does everyone remember the match last year between CStar and Nelson Brands? Arnold will do nothing but push Starocci away to keep the score down and hope for a last second steal.I wouldn't be shocked to see other Hawks do the same.

Anything is possible and obviously nobody should be thumping their chest about keeping it close with a PSU wrestler by pushing, hand-fighting and stalling, but even with that likelihood, I still doubt that Arnold would keep it close.

Reactions: danoftw
Won’t be at nationals but will be at Big Ten’s and you bet!

Also - I edited the post to include a couple common opponent scores from this season. In case you want to rethink your foolishness. :)
I think Brands will have Colinedo on the circle tread mill first period and anytime both wrestlers are on their feet. Ref is going to dictate some of it.

Reactions: danoftw and mcpat

Valid point but I sure get the sense that CStar has turned the dial to 11 this year. Not sure there's anyone who can slow him down.

s-l1600.jpg

To save hawk fans the embarassment, and save the noble GIAs the trouble of visiting other boards to defend them, Carver will have drop boxes for distraught fans to put their glasses in. Carver staff will smash your glasses in privacy. Bigbucksbob will be selling Dollar Store reading glasses for $19.95 at all carver cone locations.

@backdrft76 you seeing this? POTY nominee. 😂

Iowa will make it a dual IMO. Obviously if Davis comes out and beats Drake, it can shut the door quickly.

Major gut check time for Levi and Bernie particularly.

Reactions: mcpat
It would be great for Arnold to weigh in at 184 (>174) and PSU to enter both Joe Lee and CStar at 174. Then CStar wrestles "up" to take Arnold any way.

Probably way more drama than we will ever get with the coaching decisions from PSU.
So give Iowa a bonus win at 174 by sending Joe Lee against a rejuvenated Kennedy for the sake of just letting Starocci beat Gabe over some comments he made a while ago? You might have played yourself lol

So give Iowa a bonus win at 174 by sending Joe Lee against a rejuvenated Kennedy for the sake of just letting Starocci beat Gabe over some comments he made a while ago? You might have played yourself lol
Plus, the meet may be out of hand by the time 184 rolls around, so Brands might not throw out Arnold just to troll PSU. Terry would be home already.

Reactions: danoftw
Did you read the last sentence?

How about MM bumps to 174 to crush anyone then CS takes out whoever is 184. Bearclaw at 165.

Reactions: Ja1339
Too funny not to post over here.
GIA POTY nominee.
If Gabe's Dad wants to confirm, deny, or let sleeping dogs lie he can. What I heard was that Gabe slipped a disc in his back and will redshirt this year. My thoughts are PK will go to 157, Gabe to 74 & hopefully Angelo Ferrari to 84 as a true freshman. Unless they can grab someone out of the portal for a year.
Random4598375:

Slipped a disc ducking Starocci?

I never understood grabbing a guy from the portal that has only one year of eligibility remaining unless it's a limited thing to create a bridge for a specific upcoming recruit. But it can't be an effective roster management strategy because after that one year, you're right back where you started. You'll note that of three portal acquisitions for PSU this season, one had 3 years of eligibility remaining, one had 4 years and only one had 1 year. That seems like an intelligent approach to the portal.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
I never understood grabbing a guy from the portal that has only one year of eligibility remaining unless it's a limited thing to create a bridge for a specific upcoming recruit. But it can't be an effective roster management strategy because after that one year, you're right back where you started. You'll note that of three portal acquisitions for PSU this season, one had 3 years of eligibility remaining, one had 4 years and only one had 1 year. That seems like an intelligent approach to the portal.
Penn State wins by such a wide margin at recruiting and development that the portal is pretty much unnecessary. The PSU portals do tend to be more like Nagao, Mesenbrink, Kerk who are more or less re-recruits with most/all of their eligibility. There's no need to put patches on lineup holes. Getting Truax was nice, but PSU is still winning nationals with Cochran or Ball at 184 (or Barr or even Facundo for that matter).

But Truax getting to wrestle his final year at his Dream School is such a great story, so I'm glad it happened.
Don't get me wrong here, I'm certainly glad to have him, too, but he's not the lynch pin of a championship team, and I don't think Cael pursued him very vigorously. In fact, he would be far more critical to Iowa's lineup than he is at Penn State, and if reports are accurate, they pursued him much harder. He's one of the people who recruited Penn State as much as Penn State recruited him. I said at the time that what every other program in the country should fear the most was the picture that surfaced of Truax at 10 or 11 with a Penn State national champs T-shirt on. This generation of elite wrestlers have now all grown up knowing nothing but Penn State dominance and dynasty, and they now view it as the place to be and want to get in here.

25 Ayala DEC Davis, 3-0 IA
33 Nagao DEC Schriever, 3-3
41 Bartlett DEC Woods, 6-3 PSU
49 Kasak DEC Rathjen, 9-3 PSU
57 Haines DEC Franek, 12-3 PSU
65 Mesenbrink MAJ Caliendo, 16-3 PSU
74 Starocci DEC Kennedy, 19-3 PSU
84 Truax MAJ Riggins, 23-3 PSU
97 Brooks MAJ Glazier, 27-3 PSU
HW Kerkvliet MAJ Kueter, 31-3 PSU

It’s gonna be a bloodbath.

Arnold will go at 174 with CStar but does everyone remember the match last year between CStar and Nelson Brands? Arnold will do nothing but push Starocci away to keep the score down and hope for a last second steal.I wouldn't be shocked to see other Hawks do the samthats how they roll!!

I do think it will be PSU's closest match of the season. Too many close matches to predict a score but I believe that Iowa will bring their best. I just root for both sides to be injury-free........and that Penn State wins every match :)

Too funny not to post over here.
GIA POTY nominee.

Random4598375:

Slipped a disc ducking Starocci?
Actually it’s a believable post. It seems that Iowa has had an inordinate number of injuries over the last few seasons. Look what happened to Kemmerer, Eierman and Lee. All of them fizzled in their final seasons with injuries being one of the main reasons.

TnT might want to re-evaluate their brutal training approach. They can bring in the best recruits in the country, (i. e. PA wrestlers) but it won’t do them much good if they end up crippled before their eligibility is over.

PSU will be pretty heavily favored on Friday but I think Ok State also has a good chance of beating Iowa. That would be 3 losses for the year. When is the last time that happened?

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
WS predictor (such as it is) now predicts 28-3 with MM losing (good luck with that scenario). There are some matches that could produce a much closer result, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they do. But for fun and profit, if, hypothetically, they don’t, and psu is running the table, do tnt run Arnold out there to try to save face ?

Ayala DEC
Nagao MAJ
Woods DEC
Kasak DEC
Haines DEC
Psycho MAJ
Starocci MAJ
Truax DEC
Brooks MAJ
Kerkvliet MAJ

29-6

Giving Iowa the toss-ups since it’s at CHA and the benefit of CHA to not get tech’d at 174, 197 and 285.

Ayaya Dec (toss up, but since it's in Iowa)
Nagoa Dec
Bartlett Dec (I could see Woods rebounding, but he's looked flat)
Kasak Dec (if Voin goes, tougher matchup)
Franek Dec (close one)
MM Dec
Star Dec
Traux Dec
Brooks Maj
Kerk Maj

26-6

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
9-1 Ayala the only win for Iowa.

Keep wanting to pick Woods but he looked so bad against tOSU and Bartlett is so solid, I just can't even in Carver. Still, least confidence of the 9 predicted wins.

Other match where I could see Iowa winning is 157. Haines is wrestling better but their 157 is solid, should be a really close match.

Mesenbrink on the other hand I am not that concerned with, think he is a level above Caliendo.

Early on in this thread there was some talk of Arnold going up to 184 and actually winning. I think this is crazy talk, Traux would win comfortably with a 10 pound size advantage, not that we are going to see it.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

Keep wanting to pick Woods but he looked so bad against tOSU and Bartlett is so solid, I just can't even in Carver. Still, least confidence of the 9 predicted wins.

Other match where I could see Iowa winning is 157. Haines is wrestling better but their 157 is solid, should be a really close match.

Mesenbrink on the other hand I am not that concerned with, think he is a level above Caliendo.

Early on in this thread there was some talk of Arnold going up to 184 and actually winning. I think this is crazy talk, Traux would win comfortably with a 10 pound size advantage, not that we are going to see it.
Iowa fans keep putting Gabe into the lineup at 184 because it’s a black hole for them and he did it once at CyHawk, but Gabe said it was a one-off and that he believes he’s too short for 184. Given that Truax is a long and lean 184, Gabe probably considers it a bad matchup for himself, and I highly doubt this happens. Furthermore, Gabe spent the offseason calling out Starocci, calling him overrated, and saying he’s coming to beat him this year. If Gabe actually goes, it will 100% be at 174.

I do think it will be PSU's closest match of the season. Too many close matches to predict a score but I believe that Iowa will bring their best. I just root for both sides to be injury-free........and that Penn State wins every match :)
I agree with this. Michigan aside, Brands has had his guys ready to go and out-coached both Nebraska and Iowa State, which were ripe for upsets. I expect lots of matches like Carter-Nelson last year, pushing, trying to keep it close, and trying to steal it at the end. I admit I cringe a little when I hear folks talk about shutouts... Top 5 match ups, at least 3 weight classes, and it's in Carver... there's always something unexpected that happens in this match... I believe the good guys win, but again, despite the loss to Michigan, Iowa will be ready to roll on Friday, and still, I believe it is the toughest match of the season. I have a hard time seeing it any other way...

I agree with this. Michigan aside, Brands has had his guys ready to go and out-coached both Nebraska and Iowa State, which were ripe for upsets. I expect lots of matches like Carter-Nelson last year, pushing, trying to keep it close, and trying to steal it at the end. I admit I cringe a little when I hear folks talk about shutouts... Top 5 match ups, at least 3 weight classes, and it's in Carver... there's always something unexpected that happens in this match... I believe the good guys win, but again, despite the loss to Michigan, Iowa will be ready to roll on Friday, and still, I believe it is the toughest match of the season. I have a hard time seeing it any other way...
Agreed. Tom really does deserve credit for how he’s deployed his guys this year.

Reactions: Fatmarc

I think if we see Arnold, it will be at 174. Just a hunch LOL.

Agreed. Tom really does deserve credit for how he’s deployed his guys this year.
The other way to look at this is that Tom is trying to win dual meets instead of keeping his guys healthy, helping them get better, and peaking for March. That's why this one will be close. He will do everything to try to steal one from his hated rivals, especially at home. Every big dual for him is just reinforcing that low-scoring, tough it out even though you're injured, push out, beg for a stall call, steal a close match at the very end mentality that ends up biting them in the ass come March.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT