Kasak DEC
Haines DEC
Psycho MAJ
Starocci MAJ
Truax DEC
Brooks MAJ
Kerkvliet MAJ

29-6

Giving Iowa the toss-ups since it’s at CHA and the benefit of CHA to not get tech’d at 174, 197 and 285.

125: Ayala DEC Davis 3-0 (toss-up)
133: Nagao DEC Schriver 3-3
141: Woods DEC Bartlett 6-3
149: Kasak DEC Rathjen 6-6 (toss-up)
157: Haines DEC Franek 9-6
165: Mesenbrink MD Caliendo 13-6
174: Starocci MD Kennedy 17-6
184: Truax DEC Riggins 20-6
197: Brooks MD Glazier 24-6
HVY: Kerk TF Hill 29-6

Just like McPat, I also came up with a projected final score of 29-6

That seems pretty conservative to me, but you could probably consider 157 a toss-up too. Iowa could win 125, 141, 149 & 157 to keep it to a 23-12 score.

The way Starocci & Brooks have been wrestling, a tech for one or both of them wouldn't be a surprise either. I hope we get to see Starocci vs. Arnold, but I doubt he'd do any better against Starocci, than Kennedy.

Last edited:
I feel like we see Arnold at 174 and Kennedy at 184 for this one... or Arnold 184 vs Truax...

Tom has been crafty in his coaching against both Iowa State and Nebraska; I expect he'll throw everything he's got this match as well... I am not sure that really changes the score much, but it could make it more interesting.

it's always a fun match... something unexpected will happen...

respect
fm

Reactions: SlipperyPete12

That seems pretty conservative to me, but you could probably consider 157 a toss-up too. Iowa could win 125, 141, 149 & 157 to keep it to a 23-12 score.

The way Starocci & Brooks have been wrestling, a tech for one or both of them wouldn't be a surprise either.
I think Messenbrink - Caliendo will be closer than a major.

125-Ayala dec Davis-0-3
133-Nagao dec Teske-3-3
141-Woods dec Bartlett-3-6
149-Kasak dec Rathjen-6-6
157-Franek dec Haines-6-9
165-Mesenbrink dec Caliendo-9-9
174-Starocci maj Kennedy-13-9
184-Truax maj Riggins-17-9
197-Brooks maj Glazier-21-9
285-Kerkvliet maj Hill- 25-9

The way Starocci & Brooks have been wrestling, a tech for one or both of them wouldn't be a surprise either.
The only match we are probably going to loose is 141. Sadly I have to admit that Iowa is a tough dual but I have us winning at the rest of the weights. There will be one disappointment along the way but I see this as an 8-2 dual.

125- Davis fall Ayala 6-0
133-Nagao fall Teske 12-0
141-Bartlett fall Woods 18-0
149-Kasak fall Rathjen 24-0
157-Haines fall Franek 30-0
165-Mesenbrink fall Caliendo 36-0
174-Starocci fall Kennedy 42-0
184-Truax fall Riggins 48-0
197-Brooks fall Glazier 54-0
285-Kerkvliet fall Hill 60-0

I’ll be here all week.

Recurring nightmare about a team better at duals than tournaments: Ayala, Woods, Rathjen win by DEC and either Franek or Arnold (at 184) squeak out DEC upsets. If all five happen, we still win by bonus, 19-15.
It takes a shot of epinephrine to bring me back and the comforting thought of March tournaments to calm me. That @LOTOlion prediction helps, too.

• Love
Reactions: LOTOlion
For a Yuengling ???
Payable at next year nationals if you're going 😏
Won’t be at nationals but will be at Big Ten’s and you bet!

Also - I edited the post to include a couple common opponent scores from this season. In case you want to rethink your foolishness. :)

Reactions: Callthestall
I dont like last weeks Haines chances against Franek,so hope he gets squared up by then

MM will MD Cali with ease, close to, if not TF

Star will TF Kennedy or Arnold

Also, like the Glazier story and all, but this is AFB,anything less than TF would surprise me.

Last edited:
If Arnold wrestles in this dual and it’s not at 174, that will be message board fodder for many, many years.

Plenty of trivial/ridiculous things become message board fodder, what's one more?

IMO, Iowa's starter should get the rep against the top guy. If Arnold is staying in RS, doesn't make sense to me to bump Kennedy because of a couple of tame comments from a 17yo Arnold. I mean, it's not like he said he was going to slice through Starocci like a chainsaw through hot butter or anything😉

That being said, wouldn't surprise me if the match happens...

Plenty of trivial/ridiculous things become message board fodder, what's one more?

IMO, Iowa's starter should get the rep against the top guy. If Arnold is staying in RS, doesn't make sense to me to bump Kennedy because of a couple of tame comments from a 17yo Arnold. I mean, it's not like he said he was going to slice through Starocci like a chainsaw through hot butter or anything😉

That being said, wouldn't surprise me if the match happens...
Agree that PK at 174 and GA at 184 makes the most sense from a competitive standpoint.

But as a reminder, this is what GA said about a guy that had won two NCAA titles in two seasons and placed 3rd at the WTT (with a dub over Nolf):

Overrated…I said what I said”

“Carter Starocci is one of the best at 174 pounds, and that’s who I have in my mirror every single day. That’s who I see. That’s who I’m going to beat next year. So, these are goals that I have set for myself, and whether people like me or not, I honestly could care less. But my goal is to beat Carter Starocci. My goal is to be a 2024 NCAA national champ at 174 pounds. So, by any means necessary, that is what I will do. So, hate me or love me, I’m Gabe Arnold.”

Reactions: PSU621
If Arnold wrestles in this dual and it’s not at 174, that will be message board fodder for many, many years.
I concur. Had he not made the comments that he did after last year's championship no one would be talking about it. But to take shots at a returning champion and then not have the balls to toe the line when he comes to town speaks volumes about Gabe.
And please, before anyone says it's a coaching decision, I'm here to tell you that's a cop out. It's merely an opening for GA to save some face.
If Arnold wants to talk the talk then he'd better have the guts to walk the walk come time for the 174 bout.

This isn't all about Arnold and what Arnold wants. Moving Kennedy out of his spot in the lineup would send him the wrong message.
Yep. Kennedy has earned the spot. Sitting him would definitely send the wrong message.

Brands has a history with PSU. If Arnold goes at 184, is won't be Gabe ducking, but Brands forcing the choice. If you take a step back it's probably the better call given some of Bernie's performances, and Iowa's previous success doing so this year. If BT can't take out a true freshman up a weight then we have other problems.

Honestly the match will pretty much be over by then. The interesting stuff is at 125, 141, 149 and 157. I think Cael is very motivated with this match being in CHA. It could be a very long night for the Hawkeye faithful.

Reactions: Fatmarc and PSU621
It would be great for Arnold to weigh in at 184 (>174) and PSU to enter both Joe Lee and CStar at 174. Then CStar wrestles "up" to take Arnold any way.

Probably way more drama then we will ever get with the coaching decisions from PSU.

Brands has a history with PSU. If Arnold goes at 184, is won't be Gabe ducking, but Brands forcing the choice. If you take a step back it's probably the better call given some of Bernie's performances, and Iowa's previous success doing so this year. If BT can't take out a true freshman up a weight then we have other problems.

Honestly the match will pretty much be over by then. The interesting stuff is at 125, 141, 149 and 157. I think Cael is very motivated with this match being in CHA. It could be a very long night for the Hawkeye faithful.
Will it be over if all the “interesting stuff” goes Hawk? Kennedy has more than earned 174 and shouldn’t be displaced by the sideshow of a high school boast, even for must-see TV. I also think Brands values a lead after 184 over Cael’s juggernaut more than he does Gabe’s likely failed vision quest. If such a fairy tale lead occurs (still a longshot), the minutes before AB and Kerk tech and major their foes would be the apex moment of the year for Hawk fans.

Last edited:

Motivated? Understament, that will be his 200th win at PSU.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Will it be over if all the “interesting stuff” goes Hawk? Kennedy has more than earned 174 and shouldn’t be displaced by the sideshow of a high school boast, even for must-see TV. I also think Brands values a lead after 184 over Cael’s juggernaut more than he does Gabe’s likely failed vision quest. If such a fairy tale lead occurs (still a longshot), the minutes before AB and Kerk tech and major their foes would be the apex moment of the year for Hawk fans.
I’ll be OK if Arnold sits out this one and then wrestles CStar at BJC in 2025.

It would be great for Arnold to weigh in at 184 (>174) and PSU to enter both Joe Lee and CStar at 174. Then CStar wrestles "up" to take Arnold any way.

Probably way more drama then we will ever get with the coaching decisions from PSU.
Best idea of the day. Carter will want to do it and it will be hilarious to watch Arnold have to eat his words.

Reactions: bmw199
This isn't all about Arnold and what Arnold wants. Moving Kennedy out of his spot in the lineup would send him the wrong message.
I agree, and I don't think having Arnold vs. Carter gives Iowa a better chance to win the match- which is what I think will be their goal...

Davis decision 3-0 Carver gets Davised
Nagao MD 7-0 (both Iowa wrestlers are not good here could be a tech or a fall)
Woods decision 7-3 (toss-up)
Kasak decision 10-3
Both wrestlers don't look great I'll give this decision to Franek due to carver
10-6
MM decision due to carver 13-6 (not ruling out a MD or a tech here either)
Cstar MD 17-6
Truex decision 20-6
Brooks MD due to carver 24-6
Kerk pin 30-6

I think Iowa does a lot of pushing and slowing down matches that's the only shot they have being a home meet. I see Ayala, woods, franek, caliendo, Kennedy and glazier only having a shot if they slow it down we saw this a couple years ago with each match being a squeaker almost

Wrong. Shut out! Just like I will do to you at ping pong 🙂
ping pong GIF

125- Davis fall Ayala 6-0
133-Nagao fall Teske 12-0
141-Bartlett fall Woods 18-0
149-Kasak fall Rathjen 24-0
157-Haines fall Franek 30-0
165-Mesenbrink fall Caliendo 36-0
174-Starocci fall Kennedy 42-0
184-Truax fall Riggins 48-0
197-Brooks fall Glazier 54-0
285-Kerkvliet fall Hill 60-0

I’ll be here all week.
I have 60 - -2 2 pts subtracted for Iowa for be little babies.

Recurring nightmare about a team better at duals than tournaments: Ayala, Woods, Rathjen win by DEC and either Franek or Arnold (at 184) squeak out DEC upsets. If all five happen, we still win by bonus, 19-15.
It takes a shot of epinephrine to bring me back and the comforting thought of March tournaments to calm me. That @LOTOlion prediction helps, too.

homer simpson crying GIF

;)

Reactions: HikeNatParks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT