ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs Iowa predictions?

Maybe the smart money, in Carver, with all wrestlers at peak health, has Drake and Real winning, maybe?

But boy oh boy is it tempting to go with the sweep in this week's KYPSW.

I think Davis has enough attitude to handle Carver. But Ayala is really good and should be pretty fired up at home. Tough call.

I don’t think Carver will bother Beau at all and I’m not sure Woods benefits that much from it at this stage of his career either. I actually liked the matchup against Mendez better; Beau thrives as a counter wrestler. Another tough call.

I remain unsure how battle tested Kasak is at 149. His biggest wins are against guys at or up from 141. Rathjen is a legit 149 lber but not really tested either (no big wins). This is prob the best chance for Carver to make a difference in a bout.

Haines vs Franek is the other toss-up. Haines seems to will himself to a lot of wins. And I haven’t seen anything from Franek to cause me to think that won’t happen again.

I don’t see Iowa with any real chance at winning any other bout. But I think they’ll wrestle tough and limit bonus.

It’s not impossible to think PSU can shut them out but a 6-4 bout split is probably just as likely.

So I guess I see a 7-3 bout split; maybe 8-2 if PSU is really on their game.

These blowout predictions are simply wrong: Penn State vs Iowa wrestling meets are always close. This one will be close. Penn State by no more than 8 points I say.

Reactions: WaffleShopper
I think Iowa does pull an upset or 2, probably in the 149-165 range. If Arnold goes again Truax it is another tossup.
125 Ayala over Davis 0-3
133 Nagao over Schreiver/Teske 3-3
141 Woods over Bartlett 3-6
149 Kasak over Rathjen 6-6
157 Haines over Franek 9-6
165 Messenbrink over Caliendo 12-6
174 Starocci over Kennedy MD 16-6
184 Truax over ? 19-6
197 Brooks over Glazier MD 23-6
285 Kerk over Kueter MD 27-6

Last edited:
I think both Arnold and Kueter weigh in (Arnold at 184) and a decision is made based on status of dual. If it's out of hand after 174 (PSU has 5 matches won, which will be tough), they punt.

I think Iowa does pull an upset or 2, probably in the 149-165 range. If Arnold goes again Truax it is another tossup.
125 Ayala over Davis 0-3
133 Nagao over Schreiver/Teske 3-3
141 Woods over Bartlett 3-6
149 Kasak over Rathjen 6-6
157 Haines over Franek 9-6
165 Messenbrink over Caliendo 12-6
174 Starocci over Kennedy MD 16-6
184 Truax over ? 19-6
197 Brooks over Glazier MD 20-6
285 Kerk over Kueter MD 24-6
19 + 3 = ?

Maybe the smart money, in Carver, with all wrestlers at peak health, has Drake and Real winning, maybe?

But boy oh boy is it tempting to go with the sweep in this week's KYPSW.
Clean those blue-tinted goggles, paisano!
10-0 is a laugh riot, 9-1 is plain comical, 8-2 re-enters the atmosphere, 7-3 gets real, 6-4 gets scary, and 5-5 is a nightmare survived only by bonus. I’m guessing 7 wins, no less than 6.
Can’t recall anticipating a dual more than this one . . . and that’s even without Birdboy.

I think the dual at Michigan was exactly what Brands needed to have them 110% focused and ready this Friday. I think it’s going to be a tough one and closer than anyone (including me) had thought.
As a counter point, if they lose the first two matches I think they collapse completely.

I cringe plenty (ha) at talk of shutouts of teams as good as Hawks and Bucks, and of 170 points in KC. But it’s a dynasty’s message board, so it won’t stop, not even after Braedon gets thrown, Nagao gets bullied (but fights back like a badger), Carter tires, and Bernie gets pinned. That’s fine, too, because all our guys will learn and bounce back (duals are class work, NCAAs are final exam).
That said, dual results are as intransitive as single match results. I’m with you. Toughest dual of the year. More than happy with 7 wins and will absolutely bust if Braedon sedates Carver with one of them.
I think Iowa wins 3. 125 and 141 and one more along the way.

I think both Arnold and Kueter weigh in (Arnold at 184) and a decision is made based on status of dual. If it's out of hand after 174 (PSU has 5 matches won, which will be tough), they punt.

Iowa has nothing to gain by putting Kueter on the mat. Greg gets bonus points either way.

I commented when we wrestled Michigan that I thought they were the 2nd best team in Big Ten.
Prediction for Big Ten Tournament.
1st.Penn State
2nd.Michigan
3rd.Ohio State or Iowa Flip🪙

My daughter bought us two tickets for this meet as a Christmas gift? We are both pumped about the trip! We plan to spend a few extra days in Iowa City. Any suggestions? Any other Penn Staters plan to attend? I would enjoy meeting fellow wrestling fans both Hawks and Lions!
My son and I are going, email me at psu paul 86 at the google email machine

Oh shit, that’s him who sent me his number? LMAO, I was like, who the hell is PMing me his phone number?!?

Should I post his number here?
Call him and find out what you don't know about his son. Doesn't get much better than a personal invite like that to set the record straight

Wrestlestat has PSU winning 28-3 with the only loss being Mesenbrink.
The Wrestlestat robot:

hitchbot.png

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Call him and find out what you don't know about his son. Doesn't get much better than a personal invite like that to set the record straight
Could you guys fill us in on the history of these posts? I’m guessing that Gabe’s dad, or someone claiming to be his dad, got worked up over something posted on the GIA site.

Reactions: hlstone
Could you guys fill us in on the history of these posts? I’m guessing that Gabe’s dad, or someone claiming to be his dad, got worked up over something posted on the GIA site.
It's all right there in the Gabe Arnold thread. Take a look if you wish. I won't post that here. I was just curious if Random called him to get the low down. Great opportunity

Who’s taking a shot at match ranking in terms of Pr(PSU victory)? Critique my first pass …

I'll do it in groupings

1) 285, 197, 174
Any losses amongst those matchups would be more shocking than the Flyers winning the Stanley Cup.

2) 184, 165, 133
Heavy favorites but you never know. (Yes, I consider Psycho a heavy favorite.)

3) 141, 157
Penn State leans. Franek keeps matches tight and Kasak is still building his resume. An upset here wouldn't be terribly surprising.

4) 125, 149
Toss-ups. Before last weekend I would've listed 149 as an Iowa favorite.

It is Carver. Strange things happen.

I posted that it’s really bad form that Gabe is ducking Starocci after calling him overrated and saying that he’s coming after him and winning nationals at 174.

7-3, Nits. All but 2 matches will be close because Iowa will be allowed to stall and hand fight in Carver… it’s the Iowa way. Over under for total Iowa takedowns at 7. They’ll score more total points from escapes and reversals than TDs. Would enjoy keeping tabs on total ride time.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT