ADVERTISEMENT

PSU getting in at 11-1

nittany_fl

Aug 27, 2018
If Ohio State stays No. 1 next week over the winner of LSU/Bama I think this really helps the chances of 11-1 PSU getting in. Shows the committee thinks the world of them and a loss in Columbus wouldn't hurt so much.

Path to get in with 1 loss

-Play OSU down to the wire. Lose by 7 or less
-LSU pounds Bama Or vice versa + Georgia doesn’t win SEC title
Or
LSU beats Bama and Auburn upsets Bama + Georgia doesn’t win SEC title

Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
If Ohio State stays No. 1 next week over the winner of LSU/Bama I think this really helps the chances of 11-1 PSU getting in. Shows the committee thinks the world of them and a loss in Columbus wouldn't hurt so much.
What were the scores in the past 2 games against OSU? Our talent across the board is better especially on defense. Don't think 11-1 just yet.

Reactions: psugisher
LSU beating Bama this weekend would help a lot.

1. Bama is at home
2. Bama's overall schedule is nothing special. Them beating Auburn wouldn't be all that much (especially if Auburn also loses to UGa and ends up with 4 losses).

Reactions: A2Nit
Don't see it happening. The only way we get in is if we're undefeated. Sadly, we just don't get the respect we deserve yet, for a multitude of reasons. On the bright side, we are in control of our own destiny. Just win baby!

I heard the same thing on ESPN. Supposedly Clemson’s Dabo Swinney is very upset. So here’s my question. What will the playoffs look like if Penn State pulls off an upset in Columbus and LSU beats Alabama? Can anyone seriously make a case for a one loss Alabama to leapfrog an undefeated Clemson. With the exception of LSU has Alabama played a ranked team?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV

IDK. The top 4 play each other and I don't think the committee has an appetite for 2 B1G team absent LSU/Bama/Clemson imploding.

My picks for CFP
-LSU & Bama assuming 1 loss between them @ #1& #4
-Winner PSU/OSU @ #2
-Clemson - They literally play no one better than Wake Forest and will rise to #3 when others lose. We won't know how good they are until the CFP.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeFi
Need to win on the road this weekend first. Minn will be looking to get respect as well. Get the W and move on.
I see the forecast is a high temp of 38 with a 30% chance of rain. Gotta be prepared for the conditions. They already did well in the rain but not this cold.

PSU could very well end up the regular season 9-3 with losses to @Minnesota, Indiana and @Ohio State.

Wouldn’t that make for a great season after starting 8-0?:oops:

The committee can change things up at will. Just because they think highly of PSU in tonight's rankings it doesn't mean they would continue to think the same way in the final rankings. Didn't the committee pull a huge curveball the year where TCU and Baylor were battling out for a spot, and change up the way they had been ranking them in the final week?

I'm indifferent on #4 this week because there is still a lot of football to be played and there are guaranteed matchups coming for some of the top 4. It really does mean very little right now since we knew PSU controlled it's own destiny before these rankings came out.

That said, I'm sick of this subjective crap. The committee contradicts themselves at every turn. They put PSU over Clemson based on schedule, but then why wouldn't PSU also be ahead of Bama based on the exact same criteria? In 2016 we didn't make the playoff because they put Washington in, because wins and losses were more important than schedule strength. In tonight's rankings there are two 2 loss SEC teams sitting ahead of two undefeated teams from P5 conferences, because now they are saying schedule is more important than wins and losses. This whole system is a joke and the players deserve better.

PSU could vey well end up 9-3 with losses to @Minnesota, Indiana and @Ohio State. Wouldn’t that make for a great season after starting 8-0?:oops:
You have a better chance of getting run over by a street car than PSU does of losing this football game to MN.

The committee can change things up at will. Just because they think highly of PSU in tonight's rankings it doesn't mean they would continue to think the same way in the final rankings. Didn't the committee pull a huge curveball the year where TCU and Baylor were battling out for a spot, and change up the way they had been ranking them in the final week?

I'm indifferent on #4 this week because there is still a lot of football to be played and there are guaranteed matchups coming for some of the top 4. It really does mean very little right now since we knew PSU controlled it's own destiny before these rankings came out.

That said, I'm sick of this subjective crap. The committee contradicts themselves at every turn. They put PSU over Clemson based on schedule, but then why wouldn't PSU also be ahead of Bama based on the exact same criteria? In 2016 we didn't make the playoff because they put Washington in, because wins and losses were more important than schedule strength. In tonight's rankings there are two 2 loss SEC teams sitting ahead of two undefeated teams from P5 conferences, because now they are saying schedule is more important than wins and losses. This whole system is a joke and the players deserve better.

Yep and this is why the so called "playoffs" isn't really a playoff. It is 13 people with deep ties to these schools and just a shade bit of bias. ;)

You have a better chance of getting run over by a street car than PSU does of losing this football game to MN.

Sunshine here will simply point out that it's entirely possible that he will get run over by a streetcar.

PSU could very well end up the regular season 9-3 with losses to @Minnesota, Indiana and @Ohio State.

Wouldn’t that make for a great season after starting 8-0?:oops:
Disagree as I think 9-3 in the least likely scenario.

Most likely record in my opinion in order

11-1
12-0
10-2
9-3

If we lose a close game in Columbus PSU still has a pretty good chance at the playoffs. OSU starting out 1 and us 4 IS a big deal for the playoffs although there is much football to be played. One this is certain is that we can’t lose by 14 plus to OSU. The playoff committee had shown in the past that close loses are forgiven but sound losses are not.

Path to get in with 1 loss

-Play OSU down to the wire. Lose by 7 or less
-LSU pounds Bama Or vice versa + Georgia doesn’t win SEC title
Or
LSU beats Bama and Auburn upsets Bama + Georgia doesn’t win SEC title
You’re forgetting a one loss Oklahoma as a Big 12 champ...they will get in before a one loss non-Big champ in PSU.

Reactions: JoeFi
The thing that jumps out to me is Clemson is No. 5 and virtually the only lock to make the playoffs at this time. No chance they lose to anyone on their schedule.
The SEC winner is in for sure. The B1G winner is in for sure if unbeaten. A one-loss B1G winner will find itself in a scramble with a one-loss PAC winner and a second SEC team with one loss. I think Oklahoma is toast.
I believe the SEC is the only conference capable of advancing two teams unless we get a slew of unexpected upsets.
I have no inside info. Just my view of the process.
My prediction is PSU to the Rose Bowl, which is better that I thought prior to the season.

You’re forgetting a one loss Oklahoma as a Big 12 champ...they will get in before a one loss non-Big champ in PSU.

Oklahoma is out. Their only possible win against ranked team could be against Baylor. Baylor wil be a tough game for Okl.

Committee made it clear tonight that strength of schedule and close calls matter. Clemson at #5 tonight sounded the alarm that the committee is using more objective means of ranking teams this year.

Reactions: Roswell-Blue
Committee made it clear tonight that strength of schedule and close calls matter. Clemson at #5 tonight sounded the alarm that the committee is using more objective means of ranking teams this year.
For now. Watch as the committee backtracks how much they weigh schedule strength as the season continues. I guarantee that in the final poll schedule strength won't be as big of a factor as it was in today's rankings.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
For now. Watch as the committee backtracks how much they weigh schedule strength as the season continues. I guarantee that in the final poll schedule strength won't be as big of a factor as it was in today's rankings.

I agree. No way Clemson gets left out if they go undefeated. Love to see the Gamecocks upset them to knock them out of the whole thing. However, If PSU takes care of business, this is null and void...

What team has been tested the most against quality opponents? What players are getting that experience when the game is on the line? We are young but these kids have gotten the best in game training out of the top 4 teams.

Last edited:
If we have to lose in Columbus, I hope we lose close and OSU does the heavy lifting for us (winning in Ann Arbor and Indianapolis--vs. Wisconsin again?).

Then, let's count on Oklahoma losing 2...the Pac-12 champ losing 2...and Auburn causing enough damage in the SEC that only the SEC champ gets in.

I'd like to stay home on December 7 and still make the playoff at 11-1. Seems like we're due for a break.

Oklahoma is out. Their only possible win against ranked team could be against Baylor. Baylor wil be a tough game for Okl.

I think that game is at Baylor? If so, Oklahoma will lose and will definitely be out. A signature win for Matt Rhule. But then Oklahoma beats them in the Big 12 Play off during a rematch - for respect.

Wish you luck on the chips falling your way...it would be great for the state to have PSU in the mix...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT