ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PRESS RELEASE: Rhoades Announces Penn State Men’s Basketball Staff Updates

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
LINK:

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Penn State men’s basketball head coach Mike Rhoades has announced updates to the Nittany Lion staff, with Jimmy Martelli taking on an assistant coach role and Brandon Rozzell joining the staff as director of recruiting.

Martelli, who has served on Rhoades’ staff for the last six seasons and was previously holding the title of Chief of Staff, will fill the vacant assistant coach position left by J.D. Byers. Byers accepted an assistant coach role position at Virginia Tech where his wife, Marci, is the head women’s volleyball coach.

“My family and I are thrilled for J.D.,” said Rhoades. “J.D. has been on my staff for 12 years and this move was too good of an opportunity for him to pass up as he now gets to be together as a family with his wife, Marci, and their two daughters. Jimmy has been an integral member of our staff over the last six years and his elevation to assistant coach will provide a smooth transition for our program. I have no doubt that Jimmy will continue to positively impact our student-athletes and program in his new role.”

In addition to his six years on Rhoades’ staff at VCU, Martelli owns eight years of experience on the sidelines as a college assistant coach including the 2006-07 season at Randolph-Macon under Rhoades.

Rozzell joins the staff as Director of Recruiting after serving as the Director of Student-Athlete Development at VCU for the last two seasons under Rhoades.

Rozzell spent 10 years playing professionally, including starring roles in Holland, Costa Rica, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Iceland, Greece. He was named MVP of the Danish Basketligaen with Svendborg in 2016, and on two occasions, he was selected MVP of his league's championship series. He helped capture a Swedish League Championship in 2017 and claimed an Icelandic Cup with Stjarnan in 2019.

A 2011 graduate of VCU and one of the Rams’ most esteemed players, Rozzell scored 927 points in 126 games at VCU and ranks eighth in school history with 193 career 3-pointers. The six-foot-two shooting guard averaged a career-best 11.5 points per game as a senior in 2010-11 and helped lead VCU to the 2011 Final Four. Rozzell hit 4-of-6 threes in the first half of an Elite Eight contest against tournament No. 1 overall seed Kansas on the way to a 71-61 victory. He also poured in 26-points in the Round of 64 to lead VCU to a lopsided win over Georgetown. Additionally, Rozzell helped lift VCU to the 2009 CAA title, as well as a 2008 NIT appearance

Reactions: dswartz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT