ADVERTISEMENT

Pre Seeds are out

Assuming a 1st round win and a loss to Coon, Nevills will probably have two shots two grab the AQ spot. First the Kroell/Smith loser, and if that doesn't go well, possibly the Jensen/Black loser assuming no major upsets. I'll take that - if he can't grab an AQ with that, you are probably not getting significant points at 285 anyway.

JG with his most favorable quarter matchup assuming a 1st round win.

165 is what was expected - going to have to beat Wilson to qualify.

Nickal sees Martin again in semis.

184 could have gone any way at 2, 3 and 4 and really doubt it matters much. I think Cutch, Brooks and Dudley all get by their quarters.

Tough quarterfinal matches:
133: Conaway v. Taylor (definitely didn't want to see him at the #6 seed)
141: Gulibon v. Jordan
165: Geno v. Jordan
184: Cutch v. Koepke (Cutch was losing this match before he got hurt)
285: Nevills v. Coon

Sorry, but Cutch was WINNING the match against Koepke before he got hurt.

Sorry, but Cutch was WINNING the match against Koepke before he got hurt.

Was getting taken down, but you're right, he had not given up the 2 and his lead at the very moment he was injured. Regardless, Koepke was wrestling him very tight.

I agree. 133, Taylor was recovering from injury and didn't wrestle many matches this year, if healthy he will test Conaway.

184, I would much rather have seen Cutch get the 3 seed and face Courts who looks like a shell of the guy that AA'd last year.
Koepke is a goer, and in fact the score in the previous match with Cutch was TIED 2-2 and Cutch was injured while being taken down by Koepke. Had the match resumed, Koepke would have had a 4-2 lead.

Assuming a 1st round win and a loss to Coon, Nevills will probably have two shots two grab the AQ spot. First the Kroell/Smith loser, and if that doesn't go well, possibly the Jensen/Black loser assuming no major upsets. I'll take that - if he can't grab an AQ with that, you are probably not getting significant points at 285 anyway.

JG with his most favorable quarter matchup assuming a 1st round win.

165 is what was expected - going to have to beat Wilson to qualify.

Nickal sees Martin again in semis.

184 could have gone any way at 2, 3 and 4 and really doubt it matters much. I think Cutch, Brooks and Dudley all get by their quarters.
Only if Martin gets by Nate Jackson, which is a big if

Short with the 8-seed is weird, but I'm not gonna sit here and worry about Zain

141 If Jimmy has the fire in his belly stoked and lets it fly, he could "upset" MJ and be finals bound. He has the talent.

165 not bad at all either.

174 unless your a hawk homer this makes sense.

184 will stir debate and might agree.

Hwt will stir debate both ways. But glasses without the b/w shades might agree this isnt all bad.

I'm a die-hard Hawk fan, but absolutely concur with your assessment...your guy at 174 deserves the #1 seed hands down. Our fans should be thankful that Meyer is a 2 seed, when in fact I think he'll be lucky if he finishes in the top 6. He looks horrible this year. :( You guys look strong this year and for the foreseeable future. Happy for you all...sad for us. LOL! :)

I'm a die-hard Hawk fan, but absolutely concur with your assessment...your guy at 174 deserves the #1 seed hands down. Our fans should be thankful that Meyer is a 2 seed, when in fact I think he'll be lucky if he finishes in the top 6. He looks horrible this year. :( You guys look strong this year and for the foreseeable future. Happy for you all...sad for us. LOL! :)

The Hawkeyes will be ready to wrestle at home and it could be an interesting tourney if you are healthy at 184 & Hwt, are you? Thanks

Hope Stoll can go for you guys. That's the bigger deal to me...that all the kids are able to go. Then let the chips fall where they may.

If everyone wrestles to seed, this will be third time in four years that Iowa has no individual Big 10 champions. The last time that happened was between 1966 and 1969.

Yep...and as an Iowa fan that really sucks. That being said, I think Clark has a good chance to win at 133, but I don't see our other wrestlers getting there...

Hope Stoll can go for you guys. That's the bigger deal to me...that all the kids are able to go. Then let the chips fall where they may.

Amen! As an Iowa fan, I like both Cael and Brands, but wasn't happy with them continuing matches after Stoll and McCutcheon were injured. I think both Cael and Tom did their wrestlers no favors by letting them continue after they were clearly injured during their matches. You guys (PSU) had the Cowboys beat down, so no sense risking the further injury to Matt, and Iowa had already lost to NC State (no chance Stoll was beating Gwiz - already down 5-1), so don't know why Brands sent him back out to continue the beatdown and risk further injury. Cael and Brands are clearly outstanding coaches, but didn't see the logic in either of those decisions. Like you, I want all the boys to be able to go for the B10s and NCAAs...I want the best team to win! And while I would love to see Iowa win (though there's a better chance of an unexplained lunar eclipse), I'd much rather PSU won vice a team from outside the B10.

Meyer is the clear number 2 seed and I believe you are selling him short if you think "he'll be lucky if he finishes in the top 6". I saw his come back win against Indiana's Jackson and I was very impressed. Meyer isn't going to score a lot of bonus pts but the kids a grinder. IMO he has a very good chance of making the finals, if the seeds hold, he has wins over every significant wrestler on his side of the bracket.

71 total spots for b1g - how does that compare to the last couple years since b1g went to 14 teams? How about all-time, what is the largest allocation b1g has ever had and which year(s) was it achieved, anyone have that info handy?
This is only our 2nd year of being a 14-team conference.
2015 - 86 (14 teams)
2014 - 74 (12 teams)
2013 - 74 (12 teams)
2012 - 74 (12 teams)
2011 - 64 (11 teams)
2010 - 56 (11 teams)
2009 - 61 (11 teams)
2008 - 7 per weight class, plus 2 wildcards (old system, 72 qualifiers, no at-large picks)

Last edited:
2015 - 86 (14 teams)
2014 - 74 (12 teams)
2013 - 74 (12 teams)
2012 - 74 (12 teams)
2011 - 64 (11 teams)
2010 - 56 (11 teams)
2009 - 61 (11 teams)
2008 - 7 per weight class, plus 2 wildcards (old system, 72 qualifiers, no at-large picks)

Those numbers would indicate a "down" year for the big. Which could be nothing at all or maybe a point in time to reflect back that we are about to see with a little more regularity a little parity and growth of the sport from outside the power 5-10 teams.

That damn Cael he continues to consolidate power and kill the sport...

Meyer is the clear number 2 seed and I believe you are selling him short if you think "he'll be lucky if he finishes in the top 6". I saw his come back win against Indiana's Jackson and I was very impressed. Meyer isn't going to score a lot of bonus pts but the kids a grinder. IMO he has a very good chance of making the finals, if the seeds hold, he has wins over every significant wrestler on his side of the bracket.
I wish I was as confident as you. I was fortunate enough to watch every match this year, and while he definitely is a grinder and he has an incredible tank, I think his "defensive style until he's 4 points behind" way of battling will kill him in the B10s and NCAAs. I hope I'm wrong, but fear that I'm right. That defensive style works for someone like Sorenson because he's much tougher to score against, but don't think it will works so well for Meyer when he has to face that level of competition. Hope I'm wrong! :)

Those numbers would indicate a "down" year for the big. Which could be nothing at all or maybe a point in time to reflect back that we are about to see with a little more regularity a little parity and growth of the sport from outside the power 5-10 teams.

That damn Cael he continues to consolidate power and kill the sport...

MSU and Maryland were historically bad, Minnesota had a rough year (or they are returning to the mean, who knows)...seemed like strength at the top, some decent teams (RU, UM), and a few good wrestlers on teams with no depth.

2015 - 86 (14 teams)
2014 - 74 (12 teams)
2013 - 74 (12 teams)
2012 - 74 (12 teams)
2011 - 64 (11 teams)
2010 - 56 (11 teams)
2009 - 61 (11 teams)

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for (e.g., total allocation vs number of teams given addition of UNL first and then RU and UMd). Those numbers would suggest that this is a "down year" for the b1g especially given that it was recorded in 14-team era -- obviously, last year was an "up year" in the conference, but some of the extremely large # can be explained by adding 2 new members. 71 with 14 teams is clearly a down year. Wouldn't be surprised if it was an "up year" in the ACC relative to total allocations to roughly the same magnitude it was a down year in the b1g.

The Hawkeyes will be ready to wrestle at home and it could be an interesting tourney if you are healthy at 184 & Hwt, are you? Thanks
Unfortunately I don't have direct access to the wrestling room, so my only source is via Iowa's wrestling forum (which like PSU's is very well attended). That being said, it sounds like Brooks is a go at 184, but Sam Stoll still has a big question mark. Still cannot believe Brands sent Stoll back out there after he was first injured during the Gwiz match (and down 5-1)...baffling!?! :(

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for (e.g., total allocation vs number of teams given addition of UNL first and then RU and UMd). Those numbers would suggest that this is a "down year" for the b1g especially given that it was recorded in 14-team era -- obviously, last year was an "up year" in the conference, but some of the extremely large # can be explained by adding 2 new members. 71 with 14 teams is clearly a down year. Wouldn't be surprised if it was an "up year" in the ACC relative to total allocations to roughly the same magnitude it was a down year in the b1g.

Take another look at the numbers. You just declared that this year was a "down" year at 6.143 bids per team, while last year was an "up" year at 6.167 bids per team. Doesn't leave much middle ground, does it? ;)

Take another look at the numbers. You just declared that this year was a "down" year at 6.143 bids per team, while last year was an "up" year at 6.167 bids per team. Doesn't leave much middle ground, does it? ;)
Not doing the math, but this year is at least a full one per team lower.

This year's (2016) allocation is 5.07 wrestlers per B1G team.

It appears lobo was looking at 2014 and 2015.

Reactions: PSU Mike
ACC had 34 allocation spots this year (2015-16), and 29 in 2014-15.

Sounds about right as ACC only has 6 wrestling teams, so that would be roughly +1 more allocation per team. The b1g has 14 teams and produced roughly -1 allocation per team from last year to this year (71 this year versus 86 last year).

I'm confused 71/14 = 5.07 per team, while 86/14 = 6.14. Interesting along these lines, the ACC's per team allocation this year was 34/6 = 5.67 (last year was 29/6 = 4.83) is actually better than the b1g's this year - do these numbers support Foley's article about a move eastward in wrestling strength that was published after the NC State - Iowa dual?

I'm confused 71/14 = 5.07 per team, while 86/14 = 6.14. Interesting along these lines, the ACC's per team allocation this year was 34/6 = 5.67 (last year was 29/6 = 4.83) is actually better than the b1g's this year - do these numbers support Foley's article about a move eastward in wrestling strength that was published after the NC State - Iowa dual?

Apparently it's me, not you, who is confused. I looked at Roar Lion's chart and assumed the top two lines were this year and last year when, in fact, they represent 2015 and 2014. We'll see if future numbers reflect a true trend, but I can't imagine the Midwest will experience any significant loss of talent in coming years.

Yeah I think these seeds are nothing but roses for PSU. 41 could be an issue but the seed is deserved, and 74 could be a tough since Bo is looking at either Jackson or Martin, which have been two of the closer matches for him. 74 is just tough regardless though. Nevills, what can you do. Stoll situation worth monitoring there for implications obviously. Everything else is just about perfect bracketology for us

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT