ADVERTISEMENT

Why rely on NIL?

Be honest. Let teams pay players out of revenues. Find the money by cutting 50% of the 6 figure positions in ADs from administration.

The good guys lost. Amateur sports are dead forever.
it is absolutely true, Mary. I think there are two concerns. The first is that the NCAA and schools want to keep the cash cow as long as possible. So I think they are trying to manage their exit. Secondly, when you pay them they become "employees" and are entitled to all the legal benefits of employees. They'll unionize and then a collective bargaining agreement will have to be negotiated and ratified.

Honestly, it will all happen in due time. There is no other option.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
I think we’re confusing NIL with wages. I don’t believe the NCAA or any conference will ever be able to legally manage NIL. Even if the players unionized and are treated as employees, NIL will be just as prevalent. The same nonsense will occur.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
it is absolutely true, Mary. I think there are two concerns. The first is that the NCAA and schools want to keep the cash cow as long as possible. So I think they are trying to manage their exit. Secondly, when you pay them they become "employees" and are entitled to all the legal benefits of employees. They'll unionize and then a collective bargaining agreement will have to be negotiated and ratified.

Honestly, it will all happen in due time. There is no other option.
I see millions of fans staying home and turn off their TV. There are hundreds of wonderful things to do here in Central FL within 100 miles of my home. IMHO the sport is past redemption. It is all down hill now.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
Be honest. Let teams pay players out of revenues. Find the money by cutting 50% of the 6 figure positions in ADs from administration.

The good guys lost. Amateur sports are dead forever.
Cf football hasn't been amateur for quite a few years and that includes PSU, Michigan, OSU and Notre Dame

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I see millions of fans staying home and turn off their TV. There are hundreds of wonderful things to do here in Central FL within 100 miles of my home. IMHO the sport is past redemption. It is all down hill now.
Maybe some older fans will, but they will be replaced by younger fans who don’t know anything different. College football will continue to grow.

Maybe some older fans will, but they will be replaced by younger fans who don’t know anything different. College football will continue to grow.

Personally, after 55-plus years of experience and conditioning, I'm like one of Pavlov's dogs. When I see the Blue and White on a football field, I end up having a big emotional stake in the outcome.

It's psychologically reflexive at this point...and will continue whether they pay the players or not. You can make all the arguments you want, but I can't help myself.

Personally, after 55-plus years of experience and conditioning, I'm like one of Pavlov's dogs. When I see the Blue and White on a football field, I end up having a big emotional stake in the outcome.

It's psychologically reflexive at this point...and will continue whether they pay the players or not. You can make all the arguments you want, but I can't help myself.
You and me both. I hate the changes, but I still love to watch and will continue until I physically can’t.

Reactions: rrdd2021 and Jerry
Exactly. Mary is 80 years old. Not exactly the demographic that’s going to matter going forward.

INot only will college football decline but universities themselves are at serious risk. Why pay a qtr mil,or more when you can take classes online? Why spend 4-5 years spending huge bucks when you can work for a corporation, make money, and have tuition reimbursed? How many jobs will go *poof* with AI, robotics, additive printing, exporting jobs overseas, and more? Birth rates are plummeting….far fewer students in the next ten years.

Half the schools will disappear. The super powerful will survive but athletics may be sacrificed.

Last edited:
Not only will,college football decline but universities themselves are at serious risk. Why pay a qtr mil,or more when you can take classes online? Why spend 4-5 years spending huge bucks when you can work for a corporation, make money, and have tuition reimbursed? How many jobs will go *poof* with AI, robotics, additive printing, exporting jobs overseas, and more? Birth rates are plummeting….far fewer students in the next ten years.

Half the schools will disappear. The super powerful will survive but athletics may be sacrificed.

Ha ha. College football is not growing. It has peaked and the trend will be going down down down as Bruce Springsteen likes to say.

Ha ha. College football is not growing. It has peaked and the trend will be going down down down as Bruce Springsteen likes to say.
We’ll see. College football isn’t going anywhere. Too big to fail.

Central FL. Villages? If so, what color scrunchie do you sport, lol?

Stadiums are seeing fewer people attending. NIL has put a very bad taste in the mouth of many fans. Families are struggling, then they see a kid that hasn't even hit the field getting 50-100k cars and trucks. That doesn't sit well with many.

The same thing happened to baseball the moment free agency went into affect. Teams don't stick together. Unfortunately, college football and college sports is the worst. There are basically no rules and no cap. Teams no longer stay together, and recruiting your own players never ends. The NIL model is not sustainable. That's precisely why the two biggest conferences are trying to take the bull by the horns and fix it.

Stadiums are seeing fewer people attending. NIL has put a very bad taste in the mouth of many fans. Families are struggling, then they see a kid that hasn't even hit the field getting 50-100k cars and trucks. That doesn't sit well with many.

The same thing happened to baseball the moment free agency went into affect. Teams don't stick together. Unfortunately, college football and college sports is the worst. There are basically no rules and no cap. Teams no longer stay together, and recruiting your own players never ends. The NIL model is not sustainable. That's precisely why the two biggest conferences are trying to take the bull by the horns and fix it.

Remember that linebacker, years ago, who documented his recruitment?

That's happening every year now. Or even more frequently.

Back then it was for a guaranteed two or three seasons at least.

Reactions: Hotshoe
We’ll see. College football isn’t going anywhere. Too big to fail.

It's changed and continues to change...not for the better in the view of this old-timer...but I agree: it's not going away.

Fact is, the networks are shelling out record sums for broadcast rights, the television ratings for last season's CFP and NY6 were the highest in several years (link below), and playoff expansion plus revamped conferences will, I think, generate tremendous interest while bringing in huge bucks for the schools.

Reactions: AWS1022 and NJPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT