ADVERTISEMENT

Pre Game Yellow Lot 3 -- Helicopter

So here is the spin. You need a helicopter to fly at 30 feet to break up a party. The 25 cops on the ground aren't enough.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=psufootball_sf

While a host of social media comments bash the police tactic, reports indicate this was done to break up a large and rowdy party. The Pennsylvania State Police say they will release details about the incident soon.

Really you need a flyover by a Helicopter to break up a tailgate?
Geez whats next Napalm. :rolleyes:

"We understand concerns have been raised regarding police activity during tailgate celebrations in one lot, in advance of the Penn State vs. Ohio State game on Saturday (Sept. 29). University Police wishes to reassure fans that officers were responding to the circumstances on the ground, which involved numerous law violations, including serious threats to officer safety within a disorderly crowd. Unruly individuals refused to disperse following verbal commands and at least one officer suffered injuries. It is rare to resort to these expanded interventions; however, when all other warnings from the mounted police unit and officers on the ground were ignored, a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter was deployed as another tool to compel the group to disperse and curb dangerous and unruly behavior. Following the use of the helicopter, the dangerous behaviors dissipated."
I don't believe you University spokesperson.

a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter was deployed as another tool to compel the group to disperse and curb dangerous and unruly behavior. Following the use of the helicopter, the dangerous behaviors dissipated."
Yeah, because everyone thought the police had lost there friggin' minds. Either that, or the actual partiers were blown off campus and landed in Oz.

There are multiple videos showing just normal people calmly tailgating when this helicopter flies low and blows all their shit away. Guess that is just collateral damage.
It seems like there was something happening to cause this situation. Don't even think for a minute that all on the ground were angels. Wait for the report. (for your rebuttal....I didn't say the police were angels.)

"We understand concerns have been raised regarding police activity during tailgate celebrations in one lot, in advance of the Penn State vs. Ohio State game on Saturday (Sept. 29). University Police wishes to reassure fans that officers were responding to the circumstances on the ground, which involved numerous law violations, including serious threats to officer safety within a disorderly crowd. Unruly individuals refused to disperse following verbal commands and at least one officer suffered injuries. It is rare to resort to these expanded interventions; however, when all other warnings from the mounted police unit and officers on the ground were ignored, a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter was deployed as another tool to compel the group to disperse and curb dangerous and unruly behavior. Following the use of the helicopter, the dangerous behaviors dissipated."

They're called tasers, folks. And yes, it's rare to do that. Like, it's never happened.

I want to know how the officer got hurt, flying debris, slipped on horse poop which was everywhere.

Better video. Which sure shows how "in danger" anyone was

"Update Monday, October 1, 1:25 p.m.: A representative from the Federal Aviation Administration's Flight Standards District Office in Harrisburg said the incident at the tailgate is under investigation by the FAA."

Reactions: 91Joe95

"Update Monday, October 1, 1:25 p.m.: A representative from the Federal Aviation Administration's Flight Standards District Office in Harrisburg said the incident at the tailgate is under investigation by the FAA."
Is this actually an approved police technique that has ever been used, anywhere?

The more I watch this video the more I shake my head. It’s amazing nobody got seriously hurt by flying tents or cornhole games etc.

Serious question. If people are not listening to mounted police on the ground who can physically interact with you and arrest you what good is some dude up in a chopper going to do other than put lives at risk. What’s he gonna do? Land it and get out and chase me?

Boy, I guess all the videos we've seen on the ground don't capture the Watts-type rioting going on as described here.....this was like Khe Sahn, with tactical retreats, air support, etc. I can hear people yelling in the videos, haven't yet heard anything coming from the helicopter loudspeaker.

The Pennsylvania State Police was called to assist in response to a large-scale party that was getting out of hand, creating a risk to persons and property. First, the tailgaters ignored commands to disperse from law enforcement on the ground.

Then PSP deployed personnel, including the Pennsylvania State Police Tactical Mounted Unit. The crowd began to turn unruly and two PSP horses were assaulted and a trooper was injured. Ground units pulled back in an effort to deescalate the situation.

Following this incident, the Pennsylvania State Police Aviation Unit was called to assist. A helicopter was utilized to issue commands to disperse via loudspeaker. When personnel on scene noticed the helicopter was low enough to disturb items on the ground, the helicopter pulled up to a higher altitude.

The PSP Tactical Mounted Unit and the Aviation Section routinely provide assistance at events like this when large crowds are expected.

Following this incident, the Pennsylvania State Police Aviation Unit was called to assist. A helicopter was utilized to issue commands to disperse via loudspeaker. When personnel on scene noticed the helicopter was low enough to disturb items on the ground, the helicopter pulled up to a higher altitude.

The PSP Tactical Mounted Unit and the Aviation Section routinely provide assistance at events like this when large crowds are expected.
This is bullshittery in the extreme. Allow me to translate:

The helicopter was called to yell at the kids over the loudspeaker, like everyone would expect. However, after realizing that he does not actually have a loudspeaker, the moron operator decided to rotor wash the kids. This dangerous and unauthorized maneuver backfired, because it endangered the police and everyone else, and oh yeah, everyone has cell phones.

The PSP Aviation Section routinely provides assistance at events like this when large crowds are expected . . . but never this kind of "assistance".

Penn State is sticking very directly to the party line. This is what happens when an organization is led by fear and attorneys.

Dear Msgr. Zenophile, MD,

Thank you for your email. As the <Assistant Head Honcho> I often respond to emails and important issues. Please allow me to share the following statement from University Police:

We understand concerns have been raised regarding police activity during tailgate celebrations in one lot, in advance of the Penn State vs. Ohio State game on Saturday (Sept. 29). University Police wishes to reassure fans that officers were responding to the circumstances on the ground, which involved numerous law violations, including serious threats to officer safety within a disorderly crowd. Unruly individuals refused to disperse following verbal commands and at least one officer suffered injuries. It is rare to resort to these expanded interventions; however, when all other warnings from the mounted police unit and officers on the ground were ignored, a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter was deployed as another tool to compel the group to disperse and curb dangerous and unruly behavior. Following the use of the helicopter, the dangerous behaviors dissipated.

Sincerely,
<Assistant Head Honcho Guy>
giphy.gif

Last edited:
This is bullshittery in the extreme. Allow me to translate:

The helicopter was called to yell at the kids over the loudspeaker, like everyone would expect. However, after realizing that he does not actually have a loudspeaker, the moron operator decided to rotor wash the kids. This dangerous and unauthorized maneuver backfired, because it endangered the police and everyone else, and oh yeah, everyone has cell phones.

The PSP Aviation Section routinely provides assistance at events like this when large crowds are expected . . . but never this kind of "assistance".
You are spewing bullshittery....screw the drunks!

Reactions: 91Joe95
Penn State is sticking very directly to the party line. This is what happens when an organization is led by fear and attorneys.

Dear Msgr. Zenophile, MD,

Thank you for your email. As the <Assistant Head Honcho> I often respond to emails and important issues. Please allow me to share the following statement from University Police:

We understand concerns have been raised regarding police activity during tailgate celebrations in one lot, in advance of the Penn State vs. Ohio State game on Saturday (Sept. 29). University Police wishes to reassure fans that officers were responding to the circumstances on the ground, which involved numerous law violations, including serious threats to officer safety within a disorderly crowd. Unruly individuals refused to disperse following verbal commands and at least one officer suffered injuries. It is rare to resort to these expanded interventions; however, when all other warnings from the mounted police unit and officers on the ground were ignored, a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter was deployed as another tool to compel the group to disperse and curb dangerous and unruly behavior. Following the use of the helicopter, the dangerous behaviors dissipated.

Sincerely,
<Assistant Head Honcho Guy>​
Wow! Sounds like some serious shit was going down. I assume the charges against all these Ruffians/Skinheads/Terrorists have been filed this AM in Bellefonte?

What? No?

I can see it now...

Due to incidents during tailgating in which the PSP troops on horses and air units had to get involved, we will now have to issue a $50 permit to each vehicle that wants to tailgate to offset costs of said police.

Signed,

Your administration that needs to fund raise by any means necessary

I believe it's reported that one woman had a facial laceration as a result of flying debris. If it was your wife or daughter, I'd guess you would say that's the price you have to be willing to pay so we can control these crazy tailgaters. Having a few friends that fly copters, they can be unpredictable at times. All you need is an unexpected wind gust. Really no reason for flying this low over a crowd. Bernoulli's Principle in action lifting canopies, and tent posts or stakes could become airborne projectiles. Wouldn't take much for a stone to injure a cornea. FAA forbids flying below 500 ft over people except by law enforcement in extreme circumstances. I also did not see anything appearing extreme, dangerous, or violent on the grounds. But hey it's okay.....

Last edited:
Nothing should or will happen to those responsible. Nothing. We must always support our brave and fearless law enforcement first responders. They are always right. They are flawless and beyond reproach. Anyone who says otherwise must be a criminal. Or a long-haired leftist liberal. You should always say ''yes sir, no sir", when spoken to by our brave officers of the law. Never stand up to authority. Always do as you are told. Obey.

Nothing should or will happen to those responsible. Nothing. We must always support our brave and fearless law enforcement first responders. They are always right. They are flawless and beyond reproach. Anyone who says otherwise must be a criminal. Or a long-haired leftist liberal. You should always say ''yes sir, no sir", when spoken to by our brave officers of the law. Never stand up to authority. Always do as you are told. Obey.
#fratlivesmatter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT