ADVERTISEMENT

Pre Game Yellow Lot 3 -- Helicopter

The more I look at these photos of that helicopter hovering that low over so many people all I see is a massive tragedy waiting to happen. Just google "military accidents involving helicopters" or some similar search, and you will be appalled at how often there are problems.
I spent a year in helicopters in Vietnam as an artillery officer doing combat assaults and air lifting artillery pieces for hip shoots and twice I was involved in incidents involving malfunctions that brought us down. At that low height there is no room for maneuver or compensation for an air pocket, wind shear or obstructions like one of those trees in the background. I am quite sure this pilot does not go out and practice that low altitude crowd control maneuver very often if ever.
The FAA should censor the Pa. SP and take all licenses away from this pilot. In addition, the University administration should be censored by the Governor and the Legislature for allowing the endangerment of its students, alumni, parents and all other guests that were put at risk.

The copter pilot doesn't know the impact the rotor blades cause when the bird is 50' above the ground? The PSP horses are calling this 'bull $hit'

"There was no intent by the pilot or supervisors on the ground to disturb property, and the department regrets any damage caused as a result."

Does the phrase "regrets any damage caused as a result" mean open checkbook?

"There was no intent by the pilot or supervisors on the ground to disturb property, and the department regrets any damage caused as a result."
This is pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Think about it - nobody gets in their car intending to get into an accident. But mistakes happen and bang, there's your accident. If you're at fault, do you think telling the cop you had no intent to cause damage will keep you from getting a ticket?

I stand by my previous comment - the pilot should be charged with reckless endangerment. He has particular training and knowledge that flying at such an altitude above people could cause injury and disregarded it. If someone who was present is feeling particularly spry they could file a private criminal complaint.

And the PA State police need to stop acting like it was a Watts riot in the making.
I agree with this.

As much as I enjoy the tailgate atmosphere and for some reason appreciate the source of pride it bring the University, if you NEED a helicopter and mounted police to control the crowd at every home game, something is wrong and it needs to be addressed.

Does the phrase "regrets any damage caused as a result" mean open checkbook?
I assume PSU could indemnify the PSP of damages as the similar action taken toward TSM. I've developed a nervous condition just watching the fly-over videos. every time I see a copter, i'm frightened it will fold it's blades, fall out of the sky and crash into my car. I think I may be a victim to this unnecessary police action. Any lawyers on this board know the payout for pain-suffering.

What time did this incident occur, approximately? I didn't see it, but my car hood was damaged by another tailgater's tent that was blown. I was up by the IM fields for a period of time and maybe i missed it if it was near my tailgate
Submit a claim to the BOT. Should be worth $3,000,000.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I assume PSU could indemnify the PSP of damages as the similar action taken toward TSM. I've developed a nervous condition just watching the fly-over videos. every time I see a copter, i'm frightened it will fold it's blades, fall out of the sky and crash into my car. I think I may be a victim to this unnecessary police action. Any lawyers on this board know the payout for pain-suffering.
Shubin says you are a perfect candidate for repressed memory therapy.

This was intimidation and intended as that. They got caught in the overreach and now its a bit out of their hands.

I'd love to read the unredacted transcript of all radio messages, verbal and written instructions given to the aircrews, horse patrols and the foot patrols working the parking lots that day.

I do remember a lot on the west side of Park Ave. roughly across from Jeffrey Field, it was the Animal House lot back in the day. It was well known for student and townie party crowds. It appeared to be a bit out of hand several times as we drove by to our parking area. If this is the area in question they picked an odd game day to use the hammer. A more nuanced approach could have been more rewarding and productive. But no one would have gotten off on a power trip that way. So they did it their way as usual. I have to wonder how many camps were active in the decision to hammer the partying fans both out of hand and innocent bystanders or "collateral damage" as they like to say.

I understand we need to have a semblance of order but this is a fun event. Alcohol is present. What's next, a breathalyzer at the Park Ave. & 322 intersection as we leave the game? Does someone stay up nights thinking up ways to offend donors? I want that VP job.

I agree with this.

As much as I enjoy the tailgate atmosphere and for some reason appreciate the source of pride it bring the University, if you NEED a helicopter and mounted police to control the crowd at every home game, something is wrong and it needs to be addressed.

Don't be ridiculous. They didn't need to use a helicopter. They thought they'd be cool and clever, do the unexpected.

Just like on 4th and 5.

Using a helicopter for crowd control of a college party is unexpected because it's stupid, foolish, and dangerous.

Don't be ridiculous. They didn't need to use a helicopter. They thought they'd be cool and clever, do the unexpected.

Just like on 4th and 5.

Using a helicopter for crowd control of a college party is unexpected because it's stupid, foolish, and dangerous.
It's there every week. That's what I'm referring to.

The BOT needs to authorize an independent investigation into how this happened. Really, they need to review what appropriate measures are to control underage drinking at tailgates. I don’t know why protrolling police on foot aren’t enough.

The FAA should censor the Pa. SP and take all licenses away from this pilot. In addition, the University administration should be censored by the Governor and the Legislature for allowing the endangerment of its students, alumni, parents and all other guests that were put at risk.

They should be censured, too...

The BOT needs to authorize an independent investigation into how this happened. Really, they need to review what appropriate measures are to control underage drinking at tailgates. I don’t know why protrolling police on foot aren’t enough.

This thought was posted by someone else, but basically this is a side effect of the cracking down on the parties frats can have. Frats used to be able to have 25 "socials" with alcohol per semester - that was cut to 10 in 2017. In addition "daylongs" (any party taking place during the hours of 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.) are also no longer permitted. So since they can't party on their property as often as in the past, nor during the day, they've moved to the tailgating fields. Another example of PSU immediate over reaction without considering the long term consequences of their actions.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole of controlling underage drinking - I'd also say you need to look at the public drinking / open container laws. Is it a violation to have a "roadie" for the walk to the stadium from the tailgate lots?

The police have a difficult job to do, especially on college campuses where there are a lot of people who think they are smarter than everyone else. Having a helicopter in the sky is a great observation platform from where a huge parking lot can be watched. But it's just that - an observation platform. The troopers inside are otherwise helpless to assist on the ground unless they can somehow find a safe place to land and run to the trouble spot. And that's not likely. Reports are the pilot didn't realize the prop wash was causing problems on the ground. While that's possible, he should have been aware of what was below him and how close to the ground the helicopter was.

Andrew Shubin can spin for dollars.

Since they have come down on the frat parties the frats have decided to throw big tailgate parties. This is directly from a few different students I spoke to yesterday.

BTW if any of you guys know the guy who sits in NA, row 11, seat 1, tell him he's a fat, drunk, vulgar idiot and no one around him appreciates his "humor" or lack of knowledge about the game.

Hey,I’m not that fat

The first time I heard about this story, it was reported that an off duty cop who asked one of the tailgaters to move a car to give him more room for his tailgate. They refused. Did the police show up at this tailgate because of something this off duty cop said or, were they really out of control and the police responded of their own volition? The way the police responded with mounted police, foot officers and a helicopter makes it seem like it might have been called in by someone with a bit of clout.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole of controlling underage drinking - I'd also say you need to look at the public drinking / open container laws. Is it a violation to have a "roadie" for the walk to the stadium from the tailgate lots?
This was an upperclassmen event—not underage drinking. No underage drinking arrests

This was an upperclassmen event—not underage drinking. No underage drinking arrests
Given the negative attention the State Police has gotten, I guarantee that if there was anyone at that tailgate under 21, we would have seen a press release distributed far and wide to that effect. Given the context, the lack of any underage citations is pretty telling.

the frats can't party at their houses anymore due to the restrictions placed on them. they've taken it to the tailgates. i saw 4 different frats with a tailgate going on. i spoke with a few students who told me the frats are now throwing parties where everyone tailgates rather than at their houses.

Given the negative attention the State Police has gotten, I guarantee that if there was anyone at that tailgate under 21, we would have seen a press release distributed far and wide to that effecto. Given the context, the lack of any underage citations is pretty telling.
Don't be too sure, PSU, doesn't need any more negative publicity. "Let's make a deal",
S.O.P. with organizations.

Really you need a flyover by a Helicopter to break up a tailgate?
Geez whats next Napalm. :rolleyes:
I'm thinking since the kamikaze chopper dive bombing was a dud, that PSP may call in a strike using a MOAB, the Mother Of All Bombs. Might explain the practice runs by the fighter planes early on Ohio State game day...
220px-MOABtest.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT