ADVERTISEMENT

Pre Game Yellow Lot 3 -- Helicopter

PSU_Chicago

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Was at a friends tailgate with my wife and 11 YO son and others. Lot was peaceful, not loud and nothing out of the ordinary. There were 10 mounted state police and 20 on foot to, I now know, "deal with a problem student tailgate". Cops moved in. A helicopter approaches lowers to 20/30 feet off the ground, blowing canopies over and trash all over the place, including the student and grown ups. That pilot was a small fractional error from causing a major loss of life. WTF is going on up there?

I was in one of the misc yellow lots by the research buildings, begind the track. I've been to over 200 games at the Beav and I've never had a worse experience. We parked early and went to Gameday. When we returned we realized we had the misfortune of being next to what appeared to be a group of recent grads mixed with current students. I assumed it was a frat.

They completely boxed me in with their gear. They used my truck as a leaning post and picnic table. I couldn't get out of the lot and even if I could, everything was full. Terrible day of tailgating for me and the kid. After the game I noticed they spilled grease from their grill all over my truck.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Was at a friends tailgate with my wife and 11 YO son and others. Lot was peaceful, not loud and nothing out of the ordinary. There were 10 mounted state police and 20 on foot to, I now know, "deal with a problem student tailgate". Cops moved in. A helicopter approaches lowers to 20/30 feet off the ground, blowing canopies over and trash all over the place, including the student and grown ups. That pilot was a small fractional error from causing a major loss of life. WTF is going on up there?
I was tailgating in lot 21 across park ave from that lot. We watched in horror as that psp helicopter basically buzzed that entire parking lot. We could see the canopies tossed around. It was hard to tell from where I was exactly what was going on, one thing's for sure, using a helicopter like that was a very dangerous maneuver given the number of people in that lot that could have been seriously hurt.

an ex military at our tailgate likened it to when he was in the army and they were being dropped into a war zone. My 11 YO was 50 to 100 feet away. I am pretty angry at what went down. It was not necessary. I spoke to quite a few of the non students around us ... they were all angry and could not understand what the goal was yesterday that those tactics would be deployed.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Helicopter pilot should be charged with reckless endangerment. Won’t happen because of lack of accountability. But be sure if any of us regular people did that we’d be spending a lot of time at the wrong table in a courtroom.

I would assume someone would’ve grabbed some video of this? Anything posted out there?

Since they have come down on the frat parties the frats have decided to throw big tailgate parties. This is directly from a few different students I spoke to yesterday.

BTW if any of you guys know the guy who sits in NA, row 11, seat 1, tell him he's a fat, drunk, vulgar idiot and no one around him appreciates his "humor" or lack of knowledge about the game.

Last edited:
Helicopter pilot should be charged with reckless endangerment. Won’t happen because of lack of accountability. But be sure if any of us regular people did that we’d be spending a lot of time at the wrong table in a courtroom.

You should be unless you have a pilot's license oh and your not authorized to fly that close to the stadium on game day. You can say what the pilot should be charged with but you cant compare it to, if I would have done that.

Last edited:
Actually we were in the area and heard one of the mounted officers from the State Police complaining because the helicopter spooked the horses.

Reactions: step.eng69
It was a Sr tailgate party (not a frat) Pretty organized affair with wristbands to prove age, food, etc. from what I understand, the complaint was that they were spilling into the travel lanes, hence the helicopter assault.

I’m sure numerous lives were saved.

Reactions: bmw199
That strikes me as extremely reckless by the PA Police. Very irresponsible.

The helicopter is essentially at a "landing altitude" and it's a BASIC safety rule to not have foreign objects or debris anywhere near a helicopter when it is landing. Those objects and debris can damage the copter and possibly cause a crash..

Last edited:
In fact, I am going to go ahead and just say it. The police were douches all night. I saw several instances of similar behavior from SC & UP police apart from this one.

Send this to a media outlet - absolutely no reason to put peoples lives at risk for a power trip like that.
Complete in your face display of power and excessive act of intimidation. For what? That's mind boggling.

What’s the point of flying a helicopter that low? I’d send a bill to penn state for damages to the cornhole set and any food and beverage that spilled. State college’s finest lawyers would take it on pro bono.

These are the types of bozos that give cops a bad name. Probably picked on by bullies in elementary school, or beat up by dad or big brother. Became a cop to show themselves how tough they are. Now gonna go kick some frat boy ass!

If you think they will be prosecuted, fined, or fired, think again. Cops in this country shoot unarmed 12 year olds and autistic adults and nothing happens.

(There. Did I ramp this thread up to an '11'?)

These are the types of bozos that give cops a bad name. Probably picked on by bullies in elementary school, or beat up by dad or big brother. Became a cop to show themselves how tough they are. Now gonna go kick some frat boy ass!

If you think they will be prosecuted, fined, or fired, think again. Cops in this country shoot unarmed 12 year olds and autistic adults and nothing happens.

(There. Did I ramp this thread up to an '11'?)

Hard to disagree. There are dbags everywhere but you’d think an action this public would get some sort of sanction, but of course not.

Edited

From the article:

Penn State parent and tailgater Scott Olson said that early Saturday morning, a police officer asked the fraternity tailgating next to his group to move one space over. After the fraternity’s members refused to move, the officer told Olson and his group that the fraternity would be on watch for the day.

Olson said police didn’t check in all day, until some time between 3:30 and 4 p.m. when eight officers on horseback and 15-20 other officers showed up to disperse the frat’s tailgate. Shortly after, the helicopter flew in and made a sharp cut in Olson’s aisle, picking up tents and other debris.

“There was no fighting or big disruption. No one was doing anything crazy or outlandish. We didn’t have any issue with them all day,” said Olson, who reported a scratch to his Mercedes-Benz truck thanks to a flying tent and said a girl at his tailgate was cut on the face from debris.

Last edited:
So a cop wants more room for HIS tailgate, and when they don't comply, he brings in the Calvary and air support to punish them. Sounds about right.

From the article:

Penn State parent and tailgater Scott Olson said that early Saturday morning, a police officer asked the fraternity tailgating next to his group to move one space over. After the fraternity’s members refused to move, the officer told Olson and his group that the fraternity would be on watch for the day.

Olson said police didn’t check in all day, until some time between 3:30 and 4 p.m. when eight officers on horseback and 15-20 other officers showed up to disperse the frat’s tailgate. Shortly after, the helicopter flew in and made a sharp cut in Olson’s aisle, picking up tents and other debris.

“There was no fighting or big disruption. No one was doing anything crazy or outlandish. We didn’t have any issue with them all day,” said Olson, who reported a scratch to his Mercedes-Benz truck thanks to a flying tent and said a girl at his tailgate was cut on the face from debris.
These people need to be held to account.

I was in one of the misc yellow lots by the research buildings, begind the track. I've been to over 200 games at the Beav and I've never had a worse experience. We parked early and went to Gameday. When we returned we realized we had the misfortune of being next to what appeared to be a group of recent grads mixed with current students. I assumed it was a frat.

They completely boxed me in with their gear. They used my truck as a leaning post and picnic table. I couldn't get out of the lot and even if I could, everything was full. Terrible day of tailgating for me and the kid. After the game I noticed they spilled grease from their grill all over my truck.
Carry some sugar with you. Let them go to the game - dump it into their vehicles.

Come back post game for the quizzical looks. “Bro, my car won’t start”

an ex military at our tailgate likened it to when he was in the army and they were being dropped into a war zone. My 11 YO was 50 to 100 feet away. I am pretty angry at what went down. It was not necessary. I spoke to quite a few of the non students around us ... they were all angry and could not understand what the goal was yesterday that those tactics would be deployed.

Call internal affairs for the cocksuckers

I think you are misreading that. "His group" is Mr Olson, not the police officer

So a cop wants more room for HIS tailgate, and when they don't comply, he brings in the Calvary and air support to punish them. Sounds about right.

From the article:

Reactions: Judge Smails
So here is the spin. You need a helicopter to fly at 30 feet to break up a party. The 25 cops on the ground aren't enough.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=psufootball_sf

While a host of social media comments bash the police tactic, reports indicate this was done to break up a large and rowdy party. The Pennsylvania State Police say they will release details about the incident soon.

"We understand concerns have been raised regarding police activity during tailgate celebrations in one lot, in advance of the Penn State vs. Ohio State game on Saturday (Sept. 29). University Police wishes to reassure fans that officers were responding to the circumstances on the ground, which involved numerous law violations, including serious threats to officer safety within a disorderly crowd. Unruly individuals refused to disperse following verbal commands and at least one officer suffered injuries. It is rare to resort to these expanded interventions; however, when all other warnings from the mounted police unit and officers on the ground were ignored, a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter was deployed as another tool to compel the group to disperse and curb dangerous and unruly behavior. Following the use of the helicopter, the dangerous behaviors dissipated."

They're called tasers, folks. And yes, it's rare to do that. Like, it's never happened.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT