ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Wife works from home. Should her company pay for WiFi/cable?

Should my wife’s company pay for WiFi if required to work from home

• Yes

Votes: 55 28.1%
  • No

Votes: 141 71.9%

• Total voters
My company started reimbursing us for internet when home internet access became a thing, but stopped 10-15 years ago. Their position was that “everyone” now has home internet access these days and we”ve just made a cost control decision to stop paying for it.

My suggestion is to have your wife ask for it and be prepared to be told no. Unless she sees some downside from asking, like being told she now has to come to the office 5 days a week, who knows, they might just be willing to pay for it.

Unless you've had to upgrade your service her working from home is costing you nothing- why would you ask the employer to pay for costs that you aren't bearing?

Reactions: manatree
There is no right or wrong here. Some companies will reimburse, some won't. Some companies provide great health insurance, some provide shitty health insurance. Some do 401k match and some don't. You take all this into consideration when you decide to take a job.

Keep in mind people working from home are saving a LOT of money in commuting expenses and that kind of balances out.

I know families buying larger houses with 2 extra bedrooms to have proper offices, and the savings in gas and car mileage actually pretty much covers the additional mortgage cost.

If you are an independent contractor or business owner you absolutely can write off business expenses like internet, cell phone, computer and use of a car as well as health care premiums. You can still write off a home office as long as the space is ONLY used for business. But it's not a huge deduction for most people and -- especially if you try to write off a home office -- your chance of an audit goes up.

Reactions: katchthis
Unless you've had to upgrade your service her working from home is costing you nothing- why would you ask the employer to pay for costs that you aren't bearing?
maybe what should happen when the lock down is completed, the company should reroute all the phone systems and the internets through our home phones or computers, that way they could save a bundle. It wouldnt cost the employee any more.

Reactions: odshowtime
My law firm does not, but did recently add new subsidies for equipment related thereto (eg, new routers, printers, supplies, etc.)

I voted no, it is no different than in this day and age most jobs will expect you to have a cell phone, or a working car, or other things that they would argue they are paying you for, in the form of your salary.

And as others have said, she is not spending money on commuting so they might view it as a draw anyway.

If they don't want to pay for the cell phone, don't answer it after normal working hours. If they pay for it I would then be obliged to answer it when ever a call or text showed up.

No logs on the fire and no coal or Christmas goose either and no internet

Nov. 2006 I transferred to another location and my wife (fiancee at the time) both just had cell phones with data plans. We had no need or intention of getting internet. My company wanted me to monitor the processes from home on the weekend. They handed me the weekend cell phone and a company laptop, and then paid for my internet. I had no need for separate internet back then. Even today I would have no need for it. My cell phone plan is more than adequate for my needs (my wife's plan would be the same for her, and my daughter doesn't need a plan), but it's of no use to my company. They still pay for my internet and also provide a second company phone. If they do it for one, they have to do it for everyone at the same level.

Holy cow, I spent about $1500/year for a train pass, net of tax savings using a pre-tax plan. Some of you must have long commutes in gas guzzlers.

Wow - cannot believe there is even ONE yes vote on this one

Wife signed on 4 years ago. 2 days were work from home. After the first year they cut her back to 1 day a week work from home. For the last year she has been work from home for pandemic reasons.

Her argument is that we would be paying for the internet whether she works there or not so she thinks it’s rude to ask employer to reciprocate.
I agree with you wife. Be-careful what you ask for!

If they don't want to pay for the cell phone, don't answer it after normal working hours. If they pay for it I would then be obliged to answer it when ever a call or text showed up.
Completely disagree with that. It's still just a phone and my time is my time, except for emergencies or planned support. I've been working at home since before the turn of the century and ever since I've had a corporate cell phone it stays in my home office during non business hours.

I do that as a private contractor. So is this all for naught? Not looking to double dip, but fair is fair right?
I agree.....they should also pay for her door dash lunch since no cafeteria, a portion of your water and sewer bill since she isn't using the company bathroom, Netflix since she needs entertainment due to not seeing other employees ridiculous requests, and a percentage of the electric bill since she must use equipment thru the home electric grid.

• Haha
Reactions: paradox1984
I'm amused by some of these responses. Do people not realize that they make tablets and iPad with cellular connectivity, and that you can get a simple card or USB dongle that does the same thing for a pc, laptop, or small wifi router? Companies use them all the time for people who travel and need internet access. IT departments are well versed in them. They are cheap, easy solutions for companies, and most importantly, they are secure, which companies love.

It depends.

Did your wife previous have the ability to telework either as needed (e.g. once a month) or regularly (once or twice a week)? If so, then the answer is no, they shouldn't pay. In other words, she agreed (in exchange for the ability to work from home) to have things like electricity and a phone and internet. I fall into this category.

If your wife never had a telework agreement in place and was forced to work from home due to the pandemic, then *maybe*? Although it's a pandemic, so I feel like most normal "bets" are off.

The only circumstance where the job should definitely pay is if your wife has no permanent office (not by choice) and the home office is the regular office (as a requirement of the job, not by choice). My partner falls into this category, so her work pays for our internet. :)

I'm amused by some of these responses. Do people not realize that they make tablets and iPad with cellular connectivity, and that you can get a simple card or USB dongle that does the same thing for a pc, laptop, or small wifi router? Companies use them all the time for people who travel and need internet access. IT departments are well versed in them. They are cheap, easy solutions for companies, and most importantly, they are secure, which companies love.

I borrow an iPhone for a hot spot from my tech folks here at Penn State when I go and visit my parents as they are not online. Works quite well. I'm sure PSU has a lot of these at the moment.

Last edited:
This is off topic but I have to tell this story. The company I work for used to hire college age students for summer help. One of the young women had just moved out on her own right before taking the job with us. Somehow a conversation got started about utility bills and she told me she likes to sleep with her TV on at night, but turns it off because her cable bill would be through the roof if she left it on. I told her that's a good idea. I never thought of that. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT