ADVERTISEMENT

Points scored first 4 games..1994 vs 2018...

1994 offense is one, if not the best offense in college football history. Let me know when another offense in college football has 5 first team All-Americans, the Biletnikoff winner the Davy O'brian winner and two guys that finish 2nd and 4th in the Hesiman.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95 and psu2016
2018 team-222 points
1994 team-210 points

No comparison at this point.

I'll never forget bringing one of my HUGE Buffalo Bills friends down to see his first Penn State game when we massacred USC in our first Home game. All he could keep saying the whole game was "MAN!!!!! I WISH THE BILLS COULD DRAFT HIM!!!! And "I WISH THE BILLS COULD DRAFT HIM!!!!" Then he yelled out after one of our TDs "I THINK THIS TEAM COULD BEAT THE BILLS!!!" This was when the Bills were coming off their fourth Super Bowl appearance.

A couple of years later, when Buffalo had the Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie QB controversary, I reminded him of how he watched Johnson get sacked something like 7 times in the first half of the Penn State game he went to with Tony Bosselli blocking on his blind side. He said "Oh, that's who that guy was?? Penn State made him look like crap!" After I reminded him of that game, he became a Flutie guy.

As far as total points go, Joe wasn't James Franklin when it came to running up the score. He would pretty much shut things down after we got ahead by three or four TDs. We could literally have scored over 100 on Ohio State's future All Pro team.

Franklin's philosophy is that anytime his team has an opportunity to get experience, try new sets, shuffle people around, when they majority of the are Freshman and Sophomores... He's going to do it. It's not our fault the teams we've played can't keep up.

I believe Franklin was very much miffed at Ohio State getting selected as a team that failed to win their division or their conference, who was defeated by his young Nittany Lions. The narrative that we were lucky to win because of a blocked field goal is silly. The kicking game was a mess for both squads. Had Ohio State won, our inability to execute on special teams likely would have been the story line of why we lost.

When we got snubbed, I'm sure the narrative he heard over and over again for the reason we didn't make the big 4 was because of the blowout loss on the road to Michigan, paired with the loss at Pitt.

Since then, we've seen Franklin playing scads of players in all four games this season, including the game we almost were upset. If franklin feels like someone is flat, or they need a spark, they get the bench and someone who's hungry jumps in there ready to prove himself...

The loss at Ohio State last year, came down to our lack of depth on both lines, and the Michigan State loss messed up the teams timing and were at a disadvantage on the road. Franklin mentioned in her presser after the game, that he wanted to keep track of the sleeping patterns of his team, to make sure the players he put on the field were well rested with the physical and cognitive ability for him to put the best team out there.

We'll see if it works in the end... But I have to say, an offense that's always trying to score, regardless of the opponent, while working in Freshman and Sophomores mixed with senior leadership, is something I think could officially wake up the "sleeping Giant" that many have thought our program to be for the past 20 years. Right now, the program is flexing its muscles... This saturday expect them to be ready to go to battle, we'll see if they can take a few punches and fire back.[/QUOTE]

The 1994 team dialed back the offense when they got a decent lead. Sometimes as early as halftime. Franklin allows the second team to continue to be aggressive and throw the ball downfield. The 1994 team would have averaged 60-70 under today’s mindset

Last edited:
No comparison at this point.

I'll never forget bringing one of my HUGE Buffalo Bills friends down to see his first Penn State game when we massacred USC in our first Home game. All he could keep saying the whole game was "MAN!!!!! I WISH THE BILLS COULD DRAFT HIM!!!! And "I WISH THE BILLS COULD DRAFT HIM!!!!" Then he yelled out after one of our TDs "I THINK THIS TEAM COULD BEAT THE BILLS!!!" This was when the Bills were coming off their fourth Super Bowl appearance.

A couple of years later, when Buffalo had the Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie QB controversary, I reminded him of how he watched Johnson get sacked something like 7 times in the first half of the Penn State game he went to with Tony Bosselli blocking on his blind side. He said "Oh, that's who that guy was?? Penn State made him look like crap!" After I reminded him of that game, he became a Flutie guy.

As far as total points go, Joe wasn't James Franklin when it came to running up the score. He would pretty much shut things down after we got ahead by three or four TDs. We could literally have scored over 100 on Ohio State's future All Pro team.
No college team would beat an NFL team. None. Anyone who believes otherwise is a clown.

Different eras, so it's impossible to compare them. For its time, that '94 offense was incredible.

This current bunch is fun to watch but as talented as they are, the one piece from '94 that I really wish we had this year was a Bobby Engram. I don't recall him dropping a pass at all in '94.

No college team would beat an NFL team. None. Anyone who believes otherwise is a clown.
Interesting you bring that up. It was a hot topic on the Sirius/XM radio shows last week. Of all people, Rick Neuheisel completely dismissed everybody that said no way. Rick said the speed gap that once was is now gone. Trying to recall, because I was half paying attention, but I think he said he'd give Alabama a chance over the Bills.

I'm with you. No way, but he was adamant to point that the other guy (forget this name) was laughing at him.

Interesting you bring that up. It was a hot topic on the Sirius/XM radio shows last week. Of all people, Rick Neuheisel completely dismissed everybody that said no way. Rick said the speed gap that once was is now gone. Trying to recall, because I was half paying attention, but I think he said he'd give Alabama a chance over the Bills.

I'm with you. No way, but he was adamant to point that the other guy (forget this name) was laughing at him.

There is no question that the pro team would have vastly more talent. The only chance a college team would be to play one of the handful of team that are so poorly coached that they cost themselves wins week after week. A top team may have a chance against a team like Arizona. Mike McCoy insists on running his system, with complete disregard for the strengths of their players. Let's take David Johnson and run him right up the middle....

Cleveland didn't go winless last year because they didn't have talent. The only reason they won a game is that Tyrod got hurt and forced them to play the better player.

The question is not could a college team win, but could a poorly coached NFL team squander their massive talent advantage enough to actually lose.

The 1994 team was practically an NFL team. Every starter on offense I believe played in the NFL with 3 taken in the first 9 picks of the 1995 draft and 2 more offensive linemen taken in 1st round of the draft in 1996. All 5 offensive linemen played in the NFL as well as both fullbacks, the top 3 running backs, the top 2 quarterbacks, both starting receivers, the tight end and the kicker. The defense only had a few NFL players, so maybe it would have been porous, but I bet the offense could've scored on most NFL defenses.

The 1994 team was practically an NFL team. Every starter on offense I believe played in the NFL with 3 taken in the first 9 picks of the 1995 draft and 2 more offensive linemen taken in 1st round of the draft in 1996. All 5 offensive linemen played in the NFL as well as both fullbacks, the top 3 running backs, the top 2 quarterbacks, both starting receivers, the tight end and the kicker. The defense only had a few NFL players, so maybe it would have been porous, but I bet the offense could've scored on most NFL defenses.

They were future NFL players, and that is the starters. The 3-deep on NFL teams are all NFL players.

What it would come down to is how seriously the NFL team took the game,

They were future NFL players, and that is the starters. The 3-deep on NFL teams are all NFL players.

What it would come down to is how seriously the NFL team took the game,
Kind of like how it came down to whether Joe wanted to really run up the score or just be nice and stop at 63-14?

Can you breakdown the scores by half?

Halves were a key issue in ‘94. The ‘94 team had games where they led by a lot after the first half. In some games, the first team offense would come in for the first series in the 2nd half. If they scored, they could be done. If not, they may have played a second series.

Then waves of players followed in some games, with the second and third offensive teams looking very good too. Tons of talent and depth on the 94 team.

Another interesting comparison between this year's team and 1994 should be the average scoring time. Both offenses are pretty explosive, though I suspect 1994 has the edge there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT