ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh Pirates 2021 Season Thread

I played in a summer college league with a kid who played against Bradley and Burnett. Those two went to the same high school and were back-to-back first-round picks for the Pirates. He said that he went 2 for 4 with a couple walks against them and that they were both good but we're not first-round caliber players.

Sadly those aren't even their two worst picks in the last 30 years in the first round.

Reactions: TheGLOV
MJG, you got me there sir

I fold! :)

But wait, no,.......

I just found two more cards sir:

Six-Gun Sixto Joaquin Lezcano
AND
Steve Kemp!

;)
Lastings Milledge

who was the big farmboy first baseman that hit a ton of homeruns at Altoona?

Lastings Milledge

who was the big farmboy first baseman that hit a ton of homeruns at Altoona?
PLayed with Lastings in a mens 35+ tournament last fall, dude is a stud, just couldn't put it all together in MLB

Most teams when they trade at least get a decent prospect, 1st round pick or something. Not the Bucs. Frazier next, yard sale continues

Every player they received is a better prospect than Musgrove.
Name me some of the 1st round picks.

Most teams when they trade at least get a decent prospect, 1st round pick or something. Not the Bucs. Frazier next, yard sale continues
It's actually a pretty good trade but like any trade for prospects they need to develop and that's where the Pirates have the issue

As the fire sale 🔥 in Pittsburgh continues, I would look for Jamison to be placed on the clearance rack. The Buccos should have a decent high single A team in Pittsburgh. Let's go Bucs!!!
He will get traded and he'll bring back a decent Prospect maybe even two. It all depends on what team wants to take a chance with a guy who's had Tommy John multiple times

2 -4 years from now, I guess we'll all have our answers.

Until then, I will still support them.

In 1971 & 1979 I celebrated with 500,000 people or more in from of the Hilton Hotel and Point State park!

It would be way cooooool to do it once again.

:)
Was at a Stiller/Raider gm in Pitt a few yrs ago and a season ticket holder since 73, told me the Wild card gm against the Reds was as an electric crowd as any Steeler game he's ever been to.. Buccos are an historic franchise, their name is littered across Baseball history, First all Black lineup, first world series ever featured the Pirates, first world series night gm, and on and on. Hopefully those of us that enjoyed 79 can party once again like it's 1979, "We are Family"

Even without them being high level prospects I can't believe that they got four guys for him. He sent two Tommy John surgeries and cancer so he's great story but I'm not sure how much he can give.

Even without them being high level prospects I can't believe that they got four guys for him. He sent two Tommy John surgeries and cancer so he's great story but I'm not sure how much he can give.
Yeah, thought there would be little interest until he showed some success. Musta looked good in workouts.

Reactions: bison13
JaMo was a classy guy. I wish him nothing but the best. With that said, I think the Pirates did pretty well with what we got in return. Ben has really restocked nicely. Hopefully the restoration of the Pirates won't take another 10 years or longer. Frazier is probably next on the block.

Reactions: bison13
Baseball's economic system is broken to the point that there will never be parity in MLB. There is no motivation to change the economic system. Small market teams will turn a profit whether they win or lose as long as they maintain a low payroll (and Bob Nutting will gladly do so). Big market teams love having small market teams as defacto 2nd minor league systems.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I know Deadspin isn’t popular around here for the way they piled on Paterno, but this article written today hits the nail on the head:

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I know Deadspin isn’t popular around here for the way they piled on Paterno, but this article written today hits the nail on the head:

He wrote what every Pirate fan already knew. It’s pretty damned obvious

“The Pirates traded still-somehow-promising at 29 but oft-broken starter Jameson Taillon to the Yankees today, where he will join another lost Pirate jewel, Gerrit Cole, in their rotation. The actual trade of Taillon doesn’t amount to much more than urinating on the ashes of a burned-down house.”

2003 pirates payroll -54 million
2021 projected payroll - 54 million or so.

He wrote what every Pirate fan already knew. It’s pretty damned obvious
It’s tough being a Pirates fan that’s for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT